Penny Dreadful II: Take Me To Church

Theda Baratheon

Yeah, she'll go back, right? Because the McGuffin glyph book is still in the house, waiting to be used, isn't it? Unless I missed something that is. If I'm right, that book is going to supercharge Vanessa's witchiness and make her something else entirely.

This show is fucking great.

Ooooh, yes, of course. She never took the book! Don't know why I assumed she did, but now I remember she just looked at it, then walked out.

---

It's the fact that the Cut Wife, this grumpy, frightening old woman was genuinely trying to help the girls. :(

Ooooh, yes, of course. She never took the book! Don't know why I assumed she did, but now I remember she just looked at it, then walked out.

---

It's the fact that the Cut Wife, this grumpy, frightening old woman was genuinely trying to help the girls. :(

The girl who actually burns her, that is the girl from earlier in the episode isn't it? Or am I mistaken on that front?

The girl who actually burns her, that is the girl from earlier in the episode isn't it? Or am I mistaken on that front?

Yes. It's the same girl she and Vanessa help earlier in the episode.

"They send their girls to me, but for this very service they despise me. So it is always for those who do for women.

This episode was so effortlessly feminist it was amazing. Also, very, very sad.

I just watched this again today and it's so well written and contained that it works really well as a small feature film.

Yes. It's the same girl she and Vanessa help earlier in the episode.

"They send their girls to me, but for this very service they despise me. So it is always for those who do for women.

This episode was so effortlessly feminist it was amazing. Also, very, very sad.

I just watched this again today and it's so well written and contained that it works really well as a small feature film.

It's certainly one of the best things I have seen on TV for a while now.

...far too obsessed with this show :leaving:

This little chart made me laugh :lol: http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--GuESkKbY--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/1247823396387304806.jpg

It's certainly one of the best things I have seen on TV for a while now.

...far too obsessed with this show :leaving:

This little chart made me laugh :lol: http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--GuESkKbY--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/1247823396387304806.jpg

lmao nice chart!

So I finally got caught up. I can't say I binge watched all the way through, I did go pretty slowly at times with season 1. That being said, it was hard to stop watching the last episodes of season 1, or these three of season 2.

Really powerful episodes, with good acting and amazing soundtrack, not to mention the atmosphere and visuals.

Eva Green and Timothy Dalton are killing it, and I am having trouble deciding on a favorite character, mainly between Vanessa, Sir Malcolm, Ethan and Caliban. Though in Caliban's case, I cannot forgive his killing of Van Helsing. And speaking of that, without Van Helsing and Mina, will Dracula even be in this show? When I saw those three young witches, I thought they were Dracula's minions. :P

But I find Dorian to be quite useless to the story so far.

Kali is a truly well done villain and she makes the vampires from season 1 look like pleasant folk.

Also, I was so happy when I watched the ending of season 1, since I figured out what Ethan was early on in the show. And I suspected that Brona was going to be Caliban's intended mate. I'm guessing the only thing that Frankestein had to do to her body was replace her lungs.

And I have to say, this is how you do flashbacks. Both flashback episodes were among the best, so far. If only GoT had this.

So I finally got caught up. I can't say I binge watched all the way through, I did go pretty slowly at times with season 1. That being said, it was hard to stop watching the last episodes of season 1, or these three of season 2.

Really powerful episodes, with good acting and amazing soundtrack, not to mention the atmosphere and visuals.

Eva Green and Timothy Dalton are killing it, and I am having trouble deciding on a favorite character, mainly between Vanessa, Sir Malcolm, Ethan and Caliban. Though in Caliban's case, I cannot forgive his killing of Van Helsing. And speaking of that, without Van Helsing and Mina, will Dracula even be in this show? When I saw those three young witches, I thought they were Dracula's minions. :P

But I find Dorian to be quite useless to the story so far.

Kali is a truly well done villain and she makes the vampires from season 1 look like pleasant folk.

Also, I was so happy when I watched the ending of season 1, since I figured out what Ethan was early on in the show. And I suspected that Brona was going to be Caliban's intended mate. I'm guessing the only thing that Frankestein had to do to her body was replace her lungs.

And I have to say, this is how you do flashbacks. Both flashback episodes were among the best, so far. If only GoT had this.

On Dracula, Hartnett has said

Dracula lingers," Hartnett explained. "He's got to be a big presence when he arrives. This year, the focus is the witches. Those are the main antagonists of the season. But [eventually] Dracula will have a major role to play."

The Devil is the Big Bad and he's sending his minions (? I guess ?) to claim Vanessa and turn her heart dark and present her to him. The vampires weren't scary because as someone else (not sure if here or a review I read somewhere lmao) mentioned they are more of an obstacle just being thrown at Vanessa, that's why they're not scary; the witches are PERSONAL. This (the cut wife) is an important part of Vanessa's past. The witches are freakin SCARY. The Vampires weren't really.

I really enjoyed season 1, but I thought it was kinda pulpy. I LOVED the exorcism scene and there were moments where I thought this show could be great and season 2 has really decided what it wants to be and it's shaping up to be bloody fucking fantastic.

The Devil is the Big Bad and he's sending his minions (? I guess ?) to claim Vanessa and turn her heart dark and present her to him. The vampires weren't scary because as someone else (not sure if here or a review I read somewhere lmao) mentioned they are more of an obstacle just being thrown at Vanessa, that's why they're not scary; the witches are PERSONAL. This (the cut wife) is an important part of Vanessa's past. The witches are freakin SCARY. The Vampires weren't really.

I really enjoyed season 1, but I thought it was kinda pulpy. I LOVED the exorcism scene and there were moments where I thought this show could be great and season 2 has really decided what it wants to be and it's shaping up to be bloody fucking fantastic.

The exorcism scene is one of the best scenes of all time. I can't fully agree with your other statement though. Kali is scary, but the witch sisters are not even remotely scary. They're actually laughably bad.

Well we've hardly seen anything of them really. When I say witches I'm mainly talking about Kali here. Though I found Hecate's pursuit of the family with the baby and the train sequence to be very chilling.

The exorcism scene really was fantastic; watch it again and you can see Hartnett's spit flying from his mouth as he screams latin at vanessa. What a class piece of acting from both players.

The hissing is really killing the other witches street cred. Besides that, I do find them kind of scary but Kali just outshines them in every manner so it's tough. The Hecate scene was great though.

I gotta re-watch season 1.

The hissing is really killing the other witches street cred. Besides that, I do find them kind of scary but Kali just outshines them in every manner so it's tough. The Hecate scene was great though.

I gotta re-watch season 1.

She's supposed to. They're her minions. :P

On Dracula, Hartnett has said

Dracula lingers," Hartnett explained. "He's got to be a big presence when he arrives. This year, the focus is the witches. Those are the main antagonists of the season. But [eventually] Dracula will have a major role to play."

That's nice. I'm sure this show will have an awesome version of Dracula. And I hope we get to see a younger Van Helsing as part of a flashback episode.

Amazing episode. What was her real name? I know she said it and it was on the deed that she left to Vanessa, but I didn't hear it or get a great look at it.

I had dared hope she was going to do something when the rabble showed up rather than just accept the end.

Amazing episode. What was her real name? I know she said it and it was on the deed that she left to Vanessa, but I didn't hear it or get a great look at it.

I had dared hope she was going to do something when the rabble showed up rather than just accept the end.

Vanessa's Obi-Wan/Yoda was named Joan Clayton.

Wondering whether there is significance to the name considering the way it was revealed.

Archived