Secrets of Ice: The meaning of “Kings of Winter” and “Winter is Coming”

Daendrew

To answer the question of why there must always be a Stark in Winterfell I need to first tell you what happened in the Long Night. I think I have a very good idea. Huge article coming.

I have been working my way down your list of theories. Everything seems to be falling into place.

I am, however, confused about the Night's King and all the different Brandon Starks, especially Brandon Stark the Breaker, who along with Joramun defeated the Night's King, who old Nan says is a Stark. Are they brothers with the same name? or does the Night's King have a different first name? I don't understand how the current Brandon Stark could now be the Night's King. Are all the Brandon Starks the same person being reborn? and what is the purpose of having a Night's King in the first place? if he is immortal, then why be reborn? I think you said Roose Bolten is also a contender for the title along with Jon Snow?

I would be very grateful if you would clarify this a little bit more. And more more thing - how does Patchface fit into all this?

I have been working my way down your list of theories. Everything seems to be falling into place.

I am, however, confused about the Night's King and all the different Brandon Starks, especially Brandon Stark the Breaker, who along with Joramun defeated the Night's King, who old Nan says is a Stark. Are they brothers with the same name? or does the Night's King have a different first name? I don't understand how the current Brandon Stark could now be the Night's King. Are all the Brandon Starks the same person being reborn? and what is the purpose of having a Night's King in the first place? if he is immortal, then why be reborn? I think you said Roose Bolten is also a contender for the title along with Jon Snow?

I would be very grateful if you would clarify this a little bit more. And more more thing - how does Patchface fit into all this?

All the Brandon's are different. Quite different. There are other Kings in the region that were all the same though. Not Starks.

Yesterday I had a big idea that can clear up the King of Winter/Night/in The North dichotomy. Need to explain in a big post.

Patchface was born again by a power we associate with the Drowned God/Great Other. His songs seem mindless but they are very ominous.

Roose's role is a bit more of a big deal and dangerous than first glance. I will get to it next post.

Thanks for the fast reply! I had already assumed that PF was a thrall of the Drowned God. Have you thought about PF's origins? I had also traced Stannis's descendants back to Doran and was wondering about those Gods who want to destroy Storm's End. Are they part of the Drowned God? Just trying to determine PF's allegiance to/or not to Stannis. PF did try to keep Cressen from giving the poison wine to Melisandre, whether it was to save Cressen or help her, I don't know.

I would really like to know what is so special about Ramsey's eyes.

Another theory of mine is about Howland Reed's name. 'How' would obviously answer those TOJ questions, but what about 'How L and R? ' I don't know what to do with the 'eed' though. Are you working on any of this aspect, like where does Varys fit in, or just the ending?

If you want any help with research, let me know. I'd be glad to help. I have all the novels on Kindle and ibooks, including WOIAF.

PF and Mel may be worshipping the same diety, but Mel doesn't know it. UnMel will. See my IcePriestess post.

You are very sweet to offer. Helping me with my exams would be the best way to help be publish them faster. Can you research microbiology? ;)

Because in the age of heroes where we now learn the stories are tree and there are wight walkers ice zombies, and dragons, and shadow babies, and trees that drink blood.... a sword of the kings of winter is totally not magic.

Because it totally don't make sense to have a sword that fires cold and darkness in a story with a hero with fire and light.

Of course it is magic. Zero doubt.

You just want it to be magical. THere is no text to say that it is magical. Until there is, it is not.

I am looking forward to reading it!

Have a question for you. Cercei is supposed to be choked around her pale white neck by the valanqar which is assumed by some to be Jaime. This kind of shoots down the theory of Jaime being AA and tempering Lightbringer by putting it through Cercei's heart.....the lion. Could he still do that with the sword if she is already just dead? or would it then be Mrycella or Tommen? maybe Lancel? I am still loving your theory.

btw Thanks for the heads up on Joseph Campbell. I downloaded his books last night. I am very interested in that subject. I have been studying Buddhism and already had the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

I also like Thich Nhat Hanh and Jack Kornfield.

I still want to know why Ramsey's eyes were important. Did Roose look into them and see evil inside?

The forum is in performance mode, so some of the features aren't working. I was going to send you a PM and ask you if you were serious about the microbiology research. I had a double major in math and science with a minor in physics and secondary education. I'm pretty good at searching. I have been to the end of the internet and back haha and survived!

You said that when Roose died, that Ramsey would be in 'exquisite' pain. What did you mean by that?

From dictionary:

Use exquisite to mean finely or delicately made or done. When you say someone has exquisite taste, you mean that they are able to make fine distinctions. Exquisite describes something that is lovely, beautiful, or excellent. Exquisite pain or agony is very sharp and intense.

I am assuming the agony you are referring to is very sharp and intense pain. If so, what was the of cause Ramsey's pain? Was it physical or mental?

You said that when Roose died, that Ramsey would be in 'exquisite' pain. What did you mean by that?

From dictionary:

Use exquisite to mean finely or delicately made or done. When you say someone has exquisite taste, you mean that they are able to make fine distinctions. Exquisite describes something that is lovely, beautiful, or excellent. Exquisite pain or agony is very sharp and intense.

I am assuming the agony you are referring to is very sharp and intense pain. If so, what was the of cause Ramsey's pain? Was it physical or mental?

DEFINITIONS OF:exquisite adjintense or sharp
“suffered exquisite pain”
“felt exquisite pleasure”
Synonyms: keen intense
possessing or displaying a distinctive feature to a heightened degree

Interesting read.

I always thought "Winter" is the strength of Starks and their words "Winter is coming" is a reminder of where their strength lies. Similar to Targ words "Fire and Blood".

Thus the song of ice and fire. The Battle of ice and fire dragons.thats the song from their gullet

Archived