What is Reality?

Wise Fool

Listening to a bunch of Cure and Smashing Pumpkins, are we?

Siddhartha Gautama, actually.

Emptiness is also translated as "spaciousness" or "voidness" and represents a sort of all-pervading potentiality of being and not-being. Kind of like the Tao. The idea is everything we percieve has only conditional reality, temporary and interdependent on other conditional realities whereas the fundamental reality is this emptiness or spaciousness.*

* just like jefrey with one "f", btw.

Siddhartha Gautama, actually.

Emptiness is also translated as "spaciousness" or "voidness" and represents a sort of all-pervading potentiality of being and not-being. Kind of like the Tao. The idea is everything we percieve has only conditional reality, temporary and interdependent on other conditional realities whereas the fundamental reality is this emptiness or spaciousness.*

* just like jefrey with one "f", btw.

Yeah, man, turn that frown upside down! Like, when Plato was allegorising caves, was that an anachronistic interpretation of a prophetic vision of 20+th century humanity spending it's time inside watching tv? Just spitballing into conditional reality here, but I like the fit.

Caves and TV can be allegories of each other. TV probably makes more sense now, because who's ever been to a cave? Like I've been to one, once. Maybe a couple. Not really much of my experience. Yet TV is something we watch even when we're not watching.

caves don't have tv. caves have blind degenerate anthropophagoi who lay in wait for supermodel spelunkers.

or, if you're really unlucky, Plato

caves don't have tv. caves have blind degenerate anthropophagoi who lay in wait for supermodel spelunkers.

That movie really doesn't get enough love. One of the best horrors of last decade IMO, largely because of the questions about the "reality" of the story. Are there actually subhuman monsters down there, or is the heroine just hunting and killing her friends in a fit of grief-induced madness? Or as Hillary Clinton would say, "at this point what difference would it make?"

I love The Descent. Too bad they had to make a sequel because money. Money always manages to fuck things up somehow. That's why we're all fans of consenting sex between adults but we, at best, merely tolerate it when its done for money. It's the money that dirties things, not the sex.

That's why we're all fans of consenting sex between adults but we, at best, merely tolerate it when its done for money. It's the money that dirties things, not the sex.

Hey I still enjoy it when it's done for money :P

Hey I still enjoy it when it's done for money :P

How else you gonna get it? Ha ha ha ha ha!

No but seriously, loved The Descent, loved the fake-out ending and what it implied about the nature of [the protagonist's] consciousness and [fictitious] reality. Because these things can represent consciousness and reality in general, and that's real art right there baby. Music was cool too. Plus, I still fondly remember that one jump scare (you know the one I mean) as an example of a 'legitimate' jump scare rather than the 'cheap' use we see in typical horror from Hollywood.

How else you gonna get it? Ha ha ha ha ha!

No but seriously, loved The Descent, loved the fake-out ending and what it implied about the nature of [the protagonist's] consciousness and [fictitious] reality. Because these things can represent consciousness and reality in general, and that's real art right there baby. Music was cool too. Plus, I still fondly remember that one jump scare (you know the one I mean) as an example of a 'legitimate' jump scare rather than the 'cheap' use we see in typical horror from Hollywood.

funny you should bring up The Descent. I just got into an argument with my sister about what happened in the end. Turns out she had seen the shitty US version of the ending and I had seen the far superior ending.

I set her straight. :smoking:

reality is what we attempt to capture via abstraction, like when we find regularities and then extrapolate them into natural "laws" that Nature is supposedly obligated to follow.

but of course you can ask, "where are the laws?", "what keeps them from changing?", and so on.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.

ce n'est pas une pipe.

i just want you to know - you are winning this thread, hands down style.

:bowdown:

Archived