Daniel Radcliffe to star in a drama about Grand Theft Auto

Werthead

I'm not even making this up.

The BBC are making a drama with the working title Game Changer about how DMA Design (later Rockstar Games) created the Grand Theft Auto series, starring Daniel Radcliffe (!) as Sam Houser, the dude who took control of the franchise and steered it into insano-megabucks territory with Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City and San Andreas. The drama will apparently focus on the controversy surrounding the games, in particular deranged lawyer Jack Thompson's attempts to get the games banned (he failed and was later disbarred). Obviously, Bill fricking Paxton will be playing Thompson, because who else?

Rockstar are apparently unimpressed by the project, particularly the BBC not even contacting them about it (which sounds a bit eyebrow-raising in itself), and have sued them.

How bizarre. What is interesting about this story? I'm guessing it's likely an attempt to convey some kind of social message about violent video games?

Or an anti censorship message.

At least it's not Grand Theft Auto the Movie, which was what I was afraid of when I saw the thread title.

Archived