A Post Apocalyptic Compilation

eyenon15

That might be my favorite ending to any book ever, so I, too, am baffled why they haven't ever went there in one of the movies. Just brilliant.

It pulls the rug out from under the heroes arc. In a Hollywood movie that's a definite no no. Will Smith, our big budget action star, as someone who'd been mutilating and murdering sentient creatures? I can totally understand why they decided not to go there, it would have taken guts to leave that ending in and a big budget Hollywood production couldn't afford to risk alienating it's audience, the fact they filmed and contemplated including it amazes me.

I just like to thank everyone who recommended Y: The Last Man. I have just finished the last issue and although the ending was really quite shitty in a pedestrian kind of way, I loved the ride getting there. Perhaps not an absolute classic but certainly better than the usual fare.

I was a fan of the TV series Jericho from a while back (set in small town US after a nuclear attack). It was a little flawed to start with, but really got going as it progressed. Sadly ended up in the early grave of cancellation (although it was one of those series that got a brief respite thanks to a fan campaign).

ST

It pulls the rug out from under the heroes arc. In a Hollywood movie that's a definite no no. Will Smith, our big budget action star, as someone who'd been mutilating and murdering sentient creatures? I can totally understand why they decided not to go there, it would have taken guts to leave that ending in and a big budget Hollywood production couldn't afford to risk alienating it's audience, the fact they filmed and contemplated including it amazes me.

Spoilers: I Am Legend

But a twist ending, when done well, can move an otherwise ordinary movies into the stratosphere. The Usual Suspects and The Sixth Sense were both big moneymakers, and without the twist at the end, they would be mostly forgotten.

I Am Legend has a GREAT twist - mankind has become The Vampire, it's brilliant. Yes, it would be a bit of a downer, but Bruce Willis already being dead is a downer too when you think about it. It's all in the execution.

Oh, and Blade Runner is dystopian, but it is not post-apocalyptic, society has been functioning fine.

I always feel that Fallout doesn't deserve to be on such lists, at least after the first one. The games are set 200+ years after the nuclear war, society is actually getting fairly advanced (in some areas) and cultures are being built up. The games are more post-post apocalyptic, and they deal with that theme fairly intelligently. One of the many themes of New Vegas is that humanity has recovered from the nuclear war but learned nothing, and will do the same a few decades or centuries down the line. It's an interesting extension of the usual post-apocalyptic stuff.

Wasteland 2 is much more immediately post-apocalyptic, and the world is far uglier, more contaminated and dangerous as a result.

You could also argue that BSG (both versions) and the Homeworld games are post-apocalyptic, in a different kind of way, with technology saving the survivors rather than the survivors losing access to technology.

Blade Runner is post apocalyptic?

yeah.

I mean it's set in a post-apocalyptic Los Angeles. In Do Androids Dream it's set after a nuclear war, most animals are extinct or on their way to be due to radiation poisoning and to own a living animal is a status symbol and most people left on earth are tired, ill, depressed, etc, whereas the rich and privileged all supposedly live on off world colonies.

So I'm assuming the exact same is the case for Blade Runner's universe where it's hinted at how all the animals seen in the streets are fake and that the off world colonies are made to seem so glamorous and JK Sebastian couldn't pass the medical test to leave earth because of his disease.

Oh, and Blade Runner is dystopian, but it is not post-apocalyptic, society has been functioning fine.

I don't know if I'd agree that because of this it can't be considered post-apocalyptic...Delicatessen is also set in a post-apocalyptic future, but despite the madness of the characters, they live in houses and are working together reasonably ok.

yeah.

I mean it's set in a post-apocalyptic Los Angeles. In Do Androids Dream it's set after a nuclear war, most animals are extinct or on their way to be due to radiation poisoning and to own a living animal is a status symbol and most people left on earth are tired, ill, depressed, etc, whereas the rich and privileged all supposedly live on off world colonies.

So I'm assuming the exact same is the case for Blade Runner's universe where it's hinted at how all the animals seen in the streets are fake and that the off world colonies are made to seem so glamorous and JK Sebastian couldn't pass the medical test to leave earth because of his disease.

You'd probably know better than me, but a nuclear war? Was that in the movie? I got more of a vibe it was due to over population and pollution,

You'd probably know better than me, but a nuclear war? Was that in the movie? I got more of a vibe it was due to over population and pollution,

It wasn't in the movie, those were details from the book like I said. I don't think it's completely explained what the situation is in the film.

I was a fan of the TV series Jericho from a while back (set in small town US after a nuclear attack). It was a little flawed to start with, but really got going as it progressed. Sadly ended up in the early grave of cancellation (although it was one of those series that got a brief respite thanks to a fan campaign).

ST

I liked Jericho, Lennie James was good in it and while it did have flaws it was enjoyable. The second series had quite a cool look at all the rebuilding you don't usually see in a lot of post apocalyptic stuff but it did seem like it was written under the impression they were getting a third season, which left the last arc feeling a bit weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived