Who can Jaime Lannister (with no right hand) actually beat in single combat?

mystickristoff

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL to this...Jaime two handed was the best swordsman in the series, Ned was average..

Where does it say he was the best? I don't think he would obliterate everyone in the world in single combat. The mountain? Robert? Oberyn? There are a quite a number of people I think Jamie would have had a great challenge from if not been defeated by....

Dayne was described as the best knight in the world and he died to eddard (with reed's help apparently). Just sayin Ned has to be well better than average if he and robert were the main leaders of the rebellion to overthrow the greatest dynasty ever.

The same Ned that defeated Arthur Dayne in single combat? ;)

Do you read the same books as everyone did? Where is it stated that Ned beat Dayne in single combat?

Because It was 7 vs 3 and Howland Reed saved his life...How could it be single combat

Where does it say he was the best? I don't think he would obliterate everyone in the world in single combat. The mountain? Robert? Oberyn? There are a quite a number of people I think Jamie would have had a great challenge from if not been defeated by....

Dayne was described as the best knight in the world and he died to eddard (with reed's help apparently). Just sayin Ned has to be well better than average if he and robert were the main leaders of the rebellion to overthrow the greatest dynasty ever.

Barristan said it in ADWD, Oberyn and Robert weren't swordsmans

Jon Arryn was one of the leaders of the rebellion does that make him a great swordsman?Being a great commander doesn't mean you are a great swordsman

GRRM said so. Barristan sees Tumco as the best natural swordsman he's ever seen since Jaime which mean even better than the likes of Loras.

Ned was an average fighter stated by the author, Brandon was the fighter of the family.

There was a lot of debate about whether or not it would be realistic for Jaime to become what he was once he gets used to his remaining hand. To be honest, I don't care too much about that, whatever Martin says will happen.

But why do people want him to be a good warrior again? What would be the point of cutting his hand, then? The fact that he's training probably means he will be able to defend himself, but that's where I hope it will stop.

Do you read the same books as everyone did? Where is it stated that Ned beat Dayne in single combat?

Because It was 7 vs 3 and Howland Reed saved his life...How could it be single combat

AWoIaF:

There are boys who secretly dream of being a son of Starfall so they might claim that storied sword and its title. Most famous of all was Ser Arthur Dayne, the deadliest of King Aerys II's Kingsguard, who defeated the Kingswood Brotherhood and won renown in every tourney and mêlée. He died nobly with his sworn brothers at the end of Robert's Rebellion, after Lord Eddard Stark was said to have killed him in single combat. Lord Stark then returned Dawn to Starfall, and to Ser Arthur's kin, as a sign of respect.

That info isn't cannon

Looool Eddard himself said it wasn't single combat, the only persons that survived the tower of joy was Ned and Howland and none of them talked to a maester about the fight, besides it was a 7 vs 3 fight wich means it was at least two northerners vs one KG and Ned said that Howland saved his life so no it wasn't single combat

That info isn't cannon

Looool Eddard himself said it wasn't single combat, the only persons that survived the tower of joy was Ned and Howland and none of them talked to a maester about the fight, besides it was a 7 vs 3 fight wich means it was at least two northerners vs one KG and Ned said that Howland saved his life so no it wasn't single combat

The World of Ice and Fire isn't canon? How is it not?

This was just gossip in Winterfell. Ned Stark never said he defeated Arthur Dayne in single combat.

If this information comes from the app, well, the app is not reliable. It establishes as fact something that is generally accepted as truth.

That information isn't

First it is written It is said that Stark killed Dayne in single combat not Stark killed Dayne in single combat since Ned and Howland never talked about the event how could yandel know?

and no mistickristoff it is never stated that Howland was an archer

Jaime was regarded as one of the best fighters in Westeros at one time. For people to all of a sudden believe he will just "lose to anybody" now that he lost his sword hand is ludicrous.

There is a lot more to fighting then just swinging a sword. Jaime still has his instincts, his wit, his mobility, and experience. These are all important aspects to being a great fighter. Jaime still has all of them.

Yes, but it's also highly likely that those same instincts will get him into trouble. He's used to being able to do things he no longer can do anywhere near as well.

Have you ever done something physical for a long enough time that your skills have started to erode? Your brain still tells you that you're able to do certain things, but your body doesn't cooperate anymore. In sport, that results in your team giving up a goal. In a sword fight, that results in your death.

I still think Jaime could hold his own against most of Westeros, but that's because they haven't had any arms training. He's a below average fighter right now.

Tales spread and legends grow throughout these novels, as we have plenty of evidence. Look at all of the stories people outside of Meereen tell about Daenerys. Or those told about how Tyrion killed Tywin. The further away you get from where the event took place, the more outlandish the lies become.

People in Westeros aren't smart. They think Dorne has a far bigger army than it does because a former Targaryen king inflated the numbers to make his conquering sound more noteworthy than it was.

The ToJ story morphing from, "Ned and Arthur fought on opposite sides and Ned came out alive" becoming "Ned slayed Arthur in single combat" isn't far-fetched at all given what we've seen from other tales spinning out of control.

I'd love to see some text quotations about Ned being an average fighter... it's not the impression I ever got from reading but I honestly havent read the first book in a while

There's a quote somewhere of GRRM saying he's not that great at swordfighting and his talents are in other areas.

Yes, but it's also highly likely that those same instincts will get him into trouble. He's used to being able to do things he no longer can do anywhere near as well.

Have you ever done something physical for a long enough time that your skills have started to erode? Your brain still tells you that you're able to do certain things, but your body doesn't cooperate anymore. In sport, that results in your team giving up a goal. In a sword fight, that results in your death.

I still think Jaime could hold his own against most of Westeros, but that's because they haven't had any arms training. He's a below average fighter right now.

Speaking as a lefty in a world of right handed scissors (who's done a smidgeon of fencing) I readily believe Jaime's sword skill has basically dropped to zero. Handedness matters, heck I'm a lefty but somethings I only do with my right hand because that's how I learned them and some things I can do either way but not all of them. I'm sure this varies from person to person but there's no indication Jaime ever took steps to swap hands or say learn a sword and dagger style that might help or that he's naturally inclined to ambidexterity.

Perhaps especially with sword fighting where at least in fencing you position your entire body around your sword so its not just swapping hands but reworking your entire body. And this is an activity you don't have time to think about, if reaction isn't instant its often to late and muscle memory will work against you if all oriented the wrong way. Unless their sword style doesn't use the basic offense side forward stance almost all martial arts do anyways.

If it could be done Jaime might do better getting a spike/dagger that could be strapped to the stump and using a shield. Probably not the most secure but I know nothing about prosthetics, might be better then nothing though.

I didn't see Hot Pie. He could probably beat Hot Pie!

The handedness thing will throw him off for years! Learning how to redo EVERYTHING with his left hand instead of his right will take years, and not a couple. Probably closer to a decade before he even considers it normal. A left handed friend of mine lost just the pinkie on his right hand and even that screwed with his head for years! The right hand pinkie is something almost unused by a lefty, but even that had an impact on his daily routines. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to relearn something like brushing your teeth or eating with the wrong hand would be, let alone using a sword to defend yourself with your wrong hand!

Archived