GRRM and the answers to burning questions

I think this needs to be addressed since I don't think I have seen this topic disussed yet. Do you think we will actually get answers to all the burning questions that George has introduced. Obviously we will learn about Jon's parentage through the story, but there seems to be a lot more that needs resolution for things to make sense. I just feel like if he wanted to G could just finish the story without resolving mysteries. I understand the world-building answer for some things, but some of these questions seem like they need to be answered for the series to make sense. It just feels like at the speed the story has progressed, he will never get there, I mean there is a lot of shit that still needs to happen....Just sayin

1) the forgotten histories of Westeros

-Why the wall was built

-Who was the Night's King

-COTF why they working with BR

2) Essos seems like it won't be resolved

-What are the five forts for

-What happened in Asshai

-What was the Long Night for reals/did it originate in Essos

Some questions need not be answered. It adds an element of mystery to the story. I've always wanted to see Asshai, but I know that if I do, I will be slightly disappointed, as it's more enjoyable to read about sailor's stories, rather than actually seeing the place. I do think, however, that he'll be able to answer the major questions he's set up. Jon Snow's parentage is the major one, as well as where whores go, and Benjen Stark's fate. Have faith in Martin! He doesn't spend years writing these books so he can disappoint us!

Well, there's the GRRMarillion. It will probably be published some day. Though IIRC it was mostly about Targaryens.

To be honest, I don't know if I want to know every little detail, like how the Wall was built or if Bran the Builder was really one single person who built all they say he did. I didn't really like stuff like the Rhoynar using "water magic" and controlling rivers to fight dragons, it felt a bit too silly and like avatar - the last airbender.

Some questions need not be answered. It adds an element of mystery to the story. I've always wanted to see Asshai, but I know that if I do, I will be slightly disappointed, as it's more enjoyable to read about sailor's stories, rather than actually seeing the place. I do think, however, that he'll be able to answer the major questions he's set up. Jon Snow's parentage is the major one, as well as where whores go, and Benjen Stark's fate. Have faith in Martin! He doesn't spend years writing these books so he can disappoint us!

Don't be too sure on that whole disappointment thing, as a lot of people were disappointed with how slow the last two books moved. It's that achingly slow pace that has me doubting.

Don't be too sure on that whole disappointment thing, as a lot of people were disappointed with how slow the last two books moved. It's that achingly slow pace that has me doubting.

Personally, I quite enjoyed the last two books. ADwD is my favourite of the series. I thought that, even though they lacked any major events, they were well written, with great dialogue and the introduction of many interesting characters. And I have a theory besides. If you notice, most of the noteworthy events and deaths occur in the third book. Robb, Catelyn, Joffrey, both Cleganes (disputable, I know), Oberyn, Tywin, Lysa. It felt like the first two books were leading up to this spectacular third book, and I think that's how the final two are. They are leading to the Winds of Winter, which will also included many spectacular events I feel. My gut tells me that this sixth book will be on par with ASoS, in terms of deaths and events. And of course, ADoS will resolve many things, and will probably include less events, but more important ones. That's just my theory though, so I wouldn't take it to heart.

Archived