Top 5 favorite fantasy series?

VicAndTheSquidSquad

I am really surprised you have had no snarky comments yet for daring to post something which others may have seen before. Although it looks like the post above may have been to that effect before it was redacted.

In no particular order:

- Lord of the Rings

- The Second Apocalyspe

- The Wheel of Time

- The Rigante

- The First Law (still need to read the 3rd book but the first two were great.)

- The Dying Earth, Jack Vance

The ur-text of fantasy that might also be science fiction, with the most beautiful and ornamental prose ever written. Readers who began the series in 1950 only had to wait 34 years for it to conclude, demonstrating that GRRM still has a way to go.

- The Lord of the RIngs, J.R.R. Tolkien

The deepest, most erudite work of fantasy ever written. World building has never been demonstrated more ably or intelligently.

- Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis

The deceptively simple door-into-another-world story, using facility with the English language so easy and smooth it is like warm butter.

- Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Almost a photographic negative to what the reader expects a fantasy story to be, with a dense, complex plot that sets up arcs and conflicts and mysteries that are resolved many book later in a clever and sophisticated fashion. Combines not only a moral theme but also a sense of history not seen since LOTR.

- A Song of Ice and Fire, George R.R. Martin

The world of fantasy written from a (relatively) realistic viewpoint, including complex characters of varying moral quality and intricate story arcs with a strong basis in real world historical events.

In random order:

-ASOIAF

-Acts of Caine

-Harry Potter

-The First Law (including the stand-alones)

-Really not sure... I'll go with Hobb's Six Duchies books even though I'm not close to having read them all.

I'm sure the list will change when I've caught up on some of the stuff I want to read, or when the third Kingkiller book is released.

I am really surprised you have had no snarky comments yet for daring to post something which others may have seen before. Although it looks like the post above may have been to that effect before it was redacted.

Well, all my post said was 'Really?', as in do we really need another thread that is nothing but list after list of the same old books, with no context or commentary as to why they might be people's favourite fantasy series. Because, hey, it's not as if we haven't already had dozens of those.

And then I realised that the search function is down, so, yeah, I redacted it.

Get. Off. My. Freaking. Lawn. :lol:

Well, all my post said was 'Really?', as in do we really need another thread that is nothing but list after list of the same old books, with no context or commentary as to why they might be people's favourite fantasy series. Because, hey, it's not as if we haven't already had dozens of those.

OK, here is my list with a bit of commentary, and no random order:

1) A Song of Ice and Fire

I like medieval history, and GRRM has done a great job incorporating aspects of European medieval culture and history in his series. I also greatly enjoy his prose, and the characters. I love how he is able to bring into the story the history of the world he has created, and make you care about those historical characters as well. Favorite in the series so far: A Storm of Swords

2) The Wheel of Time

Though LOTR was the first fantasy epic I read, this was the one that really got me into reading fantasy books, and so it will always have a special place in my heart even if it drops further on the list. I love the size and diversity of the world, and I like the way Jordan portrayed both inner and outer conflicts. I also like the tone, not too heavy, but not too light. Despite the size of the series, I think it is one of those series that is good for people who are new to fantasy to read. And though I know a lot of people are irked about how some characters are portrayed, especially the female characters, I generally find it amusing. Unfortunately, the last three books stand on story alone, as I am not a big fan of Sanderson’s style. Favorite in the series: The Shadow Rising

3) The First Law + stand-alones

I love the characters and I find the portrayal of the world, well… realistic. Yet calling it realistic doesn’t mean down right depressing. For all that Abercrombie styles himself as Lord Grimdark, there is still light in these stories; 99% of the characters are grey, with a few truly evil out there, and a handful of the truly good. For all the grim and dark stuff, those truly evil characters don’t get to win. Abercrombie knows to stay in the grey. Favorite in the series: Best Served Cold (though it needs a re-read)

4) The Lord of the Rings

Maybe this should be higher on my list, but I haven’t read it in a long time, and it was not in English. In fact, I haven’t read the whole thing in English. (I re-read the Hobbit in English, and The Silmarillion). So it stands at #4 because of the story and the richness of its world. Is Tolkien’s prose better than GRRM or the other authors? Are his characters richer than in ASOIAF, or WoT or the First Law? Maybe, but I can’t say for sure. Favorite in the series: It’s all one book.

5) Harry Potter

Maybe this shouldn’t be on this list. It does speak to the fact that I am still not as well read as I think I ought to be. But I have to put it on the list, when so far it has been the only series for which I attended a midnight release event. (for the 7th book) I like the world Rowling created, I like Hogwarts, and the kid in me wishes it was real. Favorite in the series: The Order of the Phoenix.

Maybe if Rothfuss manages to finish the Kingkiller Chronicles, or if the Gentlemen Basterds goes back to the quality of the first book, or if I read more of the adventures of Fitz Chivalry, I will take this series from my top 5.

As a not-so honorary mention, The Second Apocalypse will never be in my top 5. I like it well enough to keep on reading, but it’s a bit too fucked up for my tastes.

Discworld

Bas-Lag

Malazan

Long Price Quartet

Acts of Caine

honourable mention to Sandman. I was going to include it even though it's a comic but then I wouldn't have had space for both Long Price and Acts of Caine...

Wow. Nice list. I'd have to have a minimum of 10 though with First Law, Second Apocalypse, A Land Fit for Heroes, Thunderer duology and aSoIaF finishing it off. With honorable mentions to Ambergris, Kingkiller, and Book of the New Sun.

And then I realised that the search function is down, so, yeah, I redacted it.

Get. Off. My. Freaking. Lawn. :lol:

Hehe OK fair enough :P

My reasons.

Lord of the Rings

I guess its everything involved with this epic fantasy. Books, movies, The Hobbit, haven't got into The Silmarillion, but overall my favorite, because of everything that goes along with it.

The Second Apocalypse

As far as just a book series, this is my favorite. And, if there wasn't the movies for LotR, it wouldn't even be close. No series even comes close to the intrigue in this sprawling series. The world, characters and plot are my favorite of anything I've ever read.

A Song of Ice and Fire

What brought me to fantasy and all these great series I've come to enjoy. Truly, what the wife says, "Made you become a true dork, babe!". Lol. First series I ever reread. Brought me to this wonderful community, which has opened my eyes to so many things. I love the characters and that none of them are safe. How it seems so "real", more of a historical fiction, if not for the magic and such. Others scoff at the last two books, but, I enjoyed all of them and can't wait on TWoW.

Malazan Book of the Fallen

Was the series that made me believe I was becoming a serious reader. This was more like a job, but a fun one. Love, love, loved so many characters. Karsa, Fiddler, Whiskeyjack, Anomander, it goes on and on. I never got into the whole D&D thing, but, I can see where others really enjoyed it, if its anything at all like this series. Really a different cup of tea, but I enjoyed it.

A Land Fit for Heroes

Grimdark at its finest. Dark, dark and darker. Shows so many sides of human nature at its worst. Also at its best, in its own way. Love Morgan's style of writing and Ringil is right up there with Cnaüir as my favorite characters of all-time. Haven't finished it yet, only a little left, and hoping the ending might vault this series up my list.

1) A Song of Ice and Fire. I think that this might be the best fantasy book series I've ever read. Fantastic characters, good mix of politics, fighting and magic. No cliches. Dark and grim. All characters are gray. Perfect for me.

Favorite in the series: A Storm of Swords

2) The Wheel of Time. Quite the opposite of ASOIAF, but equally brilliant on its own way. Cliche story, female characters are mostly annoying, drags a bit on the middle. Still, I love it, I really do. More fantastic scenes than any other book.

Favorite in the series: The Fires of Heaven

3) The Kingkiller Chronicles. Very diferent to ASOIAF and WoT. Personal story, probably no clear end goal in the end, only a single point of view.

Favorite in the series: Name of The Wind

4) Mistborn. Quite average writing, but loved the story and two main characters. It is significantly weaker than the other three books I mentioned though, but it is one of the first fantasy novels I read, and it would be my recommandation to someone who is starting the genre.

Favorite in the series: The Final Empire

5) The First Law. An ASOIAF lite, almost. Characters are even more gray, and the politics at times is even more deep. The writing is average at best, though.

Favorite in the series: The Last Argument of Kings

Honorable mention: The Lord of The Rings (historical reasons, the grandfather of modern fantasy; favorite: The Two Towers), The Shattered Sea (excellent reading; favorite: Half a King). Raven's Shadow (when I read it I liked it more than Mistborn and The First Law, but it seems that only a year later I have forgotten everything on it, so minus points for that; favorite: Blood Song), The Black Company (if the writing wasn't that bad - for me - it would have been on the list; favorite: Blood Song), Tigana (best standalone fantasy book ever).

Ok, here's mine....

1) ASOIAF - One of only a few books I've ever re-read, much less an entire series. I love the writing, the character driven plot(s), the way prophesies are handled, and the fairly toned down magical influences. Overall one of my favorite series ever.

2) Fitz & the Fool (& Liveships!) - This is very near my #1 as it's the only series I've ever openly wept while reading. Emotional roller coaster with fantastic characterization. Sill need to read Rain Wilds before starting the newest trilogy.

3) Dagger & The Coin - Another one where I love the characters, and while everyone is kind of a selfish dick in this one, they also have endearing qualities to them.

4) The First Law & Standalones - Great characterization (yet again, I'm seeing a pattern....), great intrigue, and a trope buster if there ever was one.

I don't have a 5th at this point because I don't consider LotR to be a series (mine's a single book dammit!) and I either haven't finished some of the better series I've read (Kingkiller Chronicles, Long Price), the writing is not up to the same level as the 4 above (Mistborn, Harry Potter), or the series started out great, but fizzled as it went on (Broken Empire).

My copy of Lord of the Rings is a single book too, but as 3 separate novels bound together isn't it still considered a series? A trilogy? And I'm sure there was something about Tolkien wanting to publish them as 6 books, or maybe I have that backwards.

Wasn't it that Tolkein wanted to publish them as one book?

Archived