If game of thrones were inspired off historical people

Uncle Washington

Robb: Alexander (Great military tactician but poor politician)

Dany: Catherine of Russia (Beautiful women who are isolated from Europe/Westeroes)

Eddard Stark: Jacques de molay (Both honorable men who died due to political sactire)

Mance Rayder: William Wallace (People who both 'died' horribly, for freedom. Also Scotland and Freek folk)

Joffrey; Hitler, Stalin, Mao (Do i have to explain)

Stannis: Caesar (A stubborn man who would go to great lengths to get his glory)

Is there any more

Joffrey; Hitler, Stalin, Mao (Do i have to explain)

Nah. Joffrey is a little shit, but just because two people are jerks doesn't make them the same. The three RL "baddies" themselves are rather different, after all. Of the three Joff is probably most similar to Hitler but even that comparison is a fair way off base. (Hitler was, during his soldiering days, supposedly quite courageous, something nobody's ever accused Joff of being). Stalin, while best remembered for his callous ruthlessness and paranoia, was a shrewd politician and strategist (again, not really a Joff thing). And Mao is kind of complicated.

The closest analogue I can think of for Joff is Richard II of England, but there's quite a lot of pointless cruelty from other sources thrown into the mix, I suspect; possibly a bit of Louis the Quarreller too (although Louis made a number of positive humanitarian contributions to his kingdom that Joff never would).

I'm honestly not sure that Alexander was a poor politician. He assembled his empire remarkably easy and it held itself together very well while he was alive and his major failure was to secure the succession (but that is in any case difficult when you die as young as he did). He did fall out with a couple of important people, but that happens to everyone to an extent, and it didn't present an existential threat to the empire during his lifetime.

For Robb I have to look at Edward IV of England, who was also undefeated in battle but lost his kingdom over an unwise marriage. Unlike Robb, Edward survived his deposition and returned to reclaim the throne, whereon he died peacefully, although his dynasty was ended thanks to marriage issues again after his death. There's a lot of Edward in Robert too, I think.

Tywin Lannister undoubtedly owes a bit to the contemporary Earl of Warwick, although as with all such the comparison is inexact.

Likewise Barristan and William Marshal.

Cersei meanwhile looks rather like Elizabeth Woodville.

Mace Tyrell's paranoia and tall towers recall John the Fearless of Burgundy.

I think GRRM himself has compared Tyrion to Richard III.

Robb and Robert split Edward IV between them

Stannis and Tyrion split Richard III

Renly is George, duke of Clarence

Tywin is part Warwick and part Philip the Fair

Cersei is part Elizabeth Woodville and part Isabella, daughter of Philip the Fair

Joffrey is a young teenaged boy who has been spoiled all his life and then given unlimited power - no particular historical parallel

Ned reminds me of William Marshal (unless I've got the wrong William)

Robb and Robert split Edward IV between them

Stannis and Tyrion split Richard III

Renly is George, duke of Clarence

Tywin is part Warwick and part Philip the Fair

Cersei is part Elizabeth Woodville and part Isabella, daughter of Philip the Fair

Joffrey is a young teenaged boy who has been spoiled all his life and then given unlimited power - no particular historical parallel

Ned reminds me of William Marshal (unless I've got the wrong William)

Marshal is barristan for me great knight honour able regent in old age needing to put down revolt/invasion.

Nah. Joffrey is a little shit, but just because two people are jerks doesn't make them the same.

The closest analogue I can think of for Joff is Richard II of England, but there's quite a lot of pointless cruelty from other sources thrown into the mix, I suspect; possibly a bit of Louis the Quarreller too (although Louis made a number of positive humanitarian contributions to his kingdom that Joff never would).

Joffrey I have to compare to Caligula.

Not sure about Joff and Caligula. They're both pretty sadistic and cruel, certainly, and the power has certainly gone to their heads, but I can't see a huge amount else there. Caligula was pretty sharp, in his lucid moments, and seemed capable of a genuine affection (and obsession with family) that Joff isn't. Joff meanwhile seems sane but stupid.

It's almost impossible to imagine Joff masterminding a plot to eliminate his minder - be that Tyrion, Tywin or whoever - in the way Caligula did with Macro. It's also difficult to imagine Joff making his horse a consul/Hand/etc, if only because he seems to have no wit or sense of humour whatsoever.

Among Roman emperors, Domitian might be closer; maybe Elagabalus although again it's a bit tenuous.

On the other hand, Maegor and Caracalla might be worth a look.

Joffrey had a bit of wit, he made a few jokes in the books, and also died when he was like 13, Caligula was almost 30. But I doubt Joffrey would turn into Caligula because he never thought he was a god.

Jaime reminds me of Lu Bu. They are both supposedly the best warrior (but probably never was) and definitely the bravest. They do the things they do "for love". And obviously slayed their king (practically king) whom they swore to protect

Archived