Opening credits

robasp2

I really like the opening credits. However, my husband does not. He thinks it is too long and wants to go straight to the show.

Could someone please tell me the meaning and name of the large sphere that revolves?

It's an astrolabrium. Pretty much like those in a museum showing the planets.

I tend to overlook the map as I'm focused on reading which actors are slated for that episode. I find it odd how they decide which actors get single billing and which ones get grouped in pairs of 2 or 3. Sansa and Arya always get lumped together with other people and Stannis, Davos and Melissandre always get their own. It has to be based on the actors reputation. As people who are probably bigger roles like Samwell and Brienne tend to get lumped with others and Littlefinger has his own.

It's almost like the actors who play older characters are given preferential treatment because they've been acting longer. :P

I tend to overlook the map as I'm focused on reading which actors are slated for that episode. I find it odd how they decide which actors get single billing and which ones get grouped in pairs of 2 or 3. Sansa and Arya always get lumped together with other people and Stannis, Davos and Melissandre always get their own. It has to be based on the actors reputation. As people who are probably bigger roles like Samwell and Brienne tend to get lumped with others and Littlefinger has his own.

I think the billing is based on how much money the actors are getting paid.

I really like the opening credits. However, my husband does not. He thinks it is too long and wants to go straight to the show.

Could someone please tell me the meaning and name of the large sphere that revolves?

Aah.. Finally at least 1 person in the world :D

GoT makers always complain how books are massive, there is no time. Well this is time wasted.

I kmow the credits were awesome at first, but do the non book readers need the same map for 4 years to know the places? (Like some of you said)

The same team could make a new shorter version or simply innovate to make something even better.

The flashbacks waste so much more time.

There isn't even a recap at all in the UK. Also, if they wanted to include the deleted scenes, they would have. They weren't going to be fired for adding an extra 30 seconds of show.

-I feel Dany one was unnecessary and the better ending was the one that was used, Jorah leaving.

-The Shae one made it become wayyy too obvious that Shae was gonna betray Tyrion

There isn't even a recap at all in the UK. Also, if they wanted to include the deleted scenes, they would have. They weren't going to be fired for adding an extra 30 seconds of show.

-I feel Dany one was unnecessary and the better ending was the one that was used, Jorah leaving.

-The Shae one made it become wayyy too obvious that Shae was gonna betray Tyrion

Shae one gives another side to Bronn.

The Pycelle scene really shocked me. I felt it was very good. It showed a very different side to Tywin as well.

Remember all the discussion and confusion until Doreah scene came out?

Arent there strict constraints? Coz you know they have to put in a lot of ads. The few seconds they cut might be used to gain millions in ad income

I enjoy the opening credits except for "Dorne" instead of the "water Gardens" and the Snake in the water gardens. The show can cut several of Seconds from other scenes if it was necessarry.

It is depicting the sun, but I believe the different scenes it shows on the different rings represent Robert's rebellion. The stag represents the baratheons, the lion is the lannisters, wolf Starks, targaryan dragon. In on glimpse you see the lion stag and wolf attacking the dragon. Right before the credits end you see the others bowing to the stag, as robert won the throne from the targaryens.

Alright I'm gonna weigh in here....I'm not sure what the standard is for opening credits is but I'm gonna agree with the OP that 2 minutes seems excessive to me. I thought this even before stumbling onto this thread. Yes, its a great opening credits (no one is denying that) but I almost always FF through them whenever I can. I would much rather have an extra minute or even 30 seconds..hell even 15 seconds of the show vs an opening credit's that I have seen hundreds of times.

I love the song, and I think the style/theme of the credits is a neat idea...but I do think it is too long. I'm always slightly amazed when I'm skipping through them, at how long they are! Pretty unusual for a show. I watch them at least once per season, but I think it is a little much to watch over and over.

I watch the title sequence every week to see if it's been updated. I think it's 90 seconds well spent. I didn't realize it had formal rules until I read the GoT wikia. I like finding the small changes--like the Flayed man of the Boltons at Winterfell, and before that Winterfell in ruins.

I see the reason for the 30 second "previously on GoT" too: Often the scenes are from distant seasons, there to remind us of things that might have gotten set up but not resolved. One of the recent episodes had Ned Stark in it. Those of us who are dedicated watchers/readers will remember most of the story line, but more casual viewers probably could use the refresher.

I watch the title sequence every week to see if it's been updated. I think it's 90 seconds well spent. I didn't realize it had formal rules until I read the GoT wikia. I like finding the small changes--like the Flayed man of the Boltons at Winterfell, and before that Winterfell in ruins.

I see the reason for the 30 second "previously on GoT" too: Often the scenes are from distant seasons, there to remind us of things that might have gotten set up but not resolved. One of the recent episodes had Ned Stark in it. Those of us who are dedicated watchers/readers will remember most of the story line, but more casual viewers probably could use the refresher.

Thank you so much for that link! I'm still blown away by it lol Now I am going to have to go back and watch every opening credit. lol but it will be fun. Thanks again.

Do enjoy the music.

To me, the credits are too long and too short. heh.

At first I'd have to pause the credits to take in all the locations, it went by too fast. It'd take me 5 minutes to get through it so I could catch everything. And there could be More!

But then, after the visuals became more familiar, I'd find myself skipping them.

Too long, too short.

I enjoy the previously on. Gives me a heads up on what storylines will be on so I won't be waiting for a story that's not going to happen this eppy. Also enjoy seeing the characters as they were compared to where they're at now.

If they chopped the credit time in half, and left out the previouslys (previouslies?), They could have like a full 2 minutes of Nymeria running around with a pack of wolves at the end of every episode, with ravens flying around them.

Archived