Not going to watch the show anymore...Talk me off the ledge

Redvipor

At this point, I feel like the show is getting into bigtime spoiler territory (i.e. book 6 material). Stannis has already begun his march to the wall, and Arya is well on her way. I do not want the show to spoil the books for me. How can I rationalize continuing the show if I do not want any surprises/big reveals prior to book 6 being released. The last thing I want, is some big unsolved mystery to be solved on the show, only to find that when I read the new books, that the mystery was, in fact, solved on the show and the book is just further clarification of what we now already know to be true.

I understand. Even if you don't watch the show, it's hard to avoid spoilers on the internet. It really can't be helped.

You can, in my opinion, still watch the show and enjoy the books. I started the books after watching season 4 of the show, and the first three books were still highly enjoyable. And not everything will be spoiled.

Sure, the ending will be the same as in the books, but that is only for the main characters (Tyrion, Jon, Dany, etc). Several storylines that have either been cut or altered will remain a mystery, which is good for people like us who prefer the books to the TV show.

Don't fret. GRRM's last two books will be great, and still very enjoyable despite parts of the ending being revealed!

Are you enjoying the show? Keep watching.

Are you not enjoying the show? Stop watching.

If anyone you know watches the show, or if you regularly go to pretty much any Ice & Fire forum, you will not be able to avoid the big pseudo-spoilers (pseudo because we won't know until the books come out what's from D&D, and what's from GRRM). But I don't really see why that should factor into your decision one way or the other.

At this point, I feel like the show is getting into bigtime spoiler territory (i.e. book 6 material). Stannis has already begun his march to the wall, and Arya is well on her way. I do not want the show to spoil the books for me. How can I rationalize continuing the show if I do not want any surprises/big reveals prior to book 6 being released. The last thing I want, is some big unsolved mystery to be solved on the show, only to find that when I read the new books, that the mystery was, in fact, solved on the show and the book is just further clarification of what we now already know to be true.

What spoilers?

Stannis is marching in the books too. ShowArya hasn't done much yet, the one important thing she will do this season has already been spoiled before it's aired.

Sansa's storyline is changed, so not a spoiler. Littlefinger and Tyrells are changed too. Bran isn't in this season. Cersie is going to do the Walk of Shame like in the books. Jon For The Watch will happen like in the books. Hardhome also happened in the books, but without POV. And I guess Dany will fly away on Drogon like in the books. Jorah's storyline has changed, so also not a spoiler. Brienne, Pod and Jaime are also changed.

I don't think we will see big spoilers this season: what we see is similar to the published books or is changed so not a spoiler for the books.

Well let's put it this way: if the next book to come out was a combo of AFFC/ADWD, I doubt you'd have been spoiled much, since hardly a single character is going through the same they do in those books. I cannot think of a single one even remotely close to their story.

In the same way, I'm not worried about spoilers, because the two stories are now radically different. Things that are important to me are not even being addressed - the Battles of Ice/Fire, the nature of the Children of the Forest, Cersei's madness, Brienne and Jaime's quest(s), Arriane, Aegon, Quentyn, Oldtown, the Greyjoys..... And if the only spoiler you're worried about is ?+?=J, then I think you're missing a really good story cos there's way more to it than that.

I think us, as book readers, are going to just have to suck it up. I understand the feeling, I definitely feel as though we've been/we're being cheated out of a wonderful literary experience. But honestly, I'd rather have the show spoil it than the internet.

I try not to be because I know how hard he's working and I love his novels more than any others ever, but it's so hard not to be pissed at George...

Are we sure that the series will follow the books to the letter in terms of an ending? GRRM has frequently said that the books are one thing and the series is another. Has it been confirmed that the series will infact spoil book 6 and 7?

Also, the series doesn't include a good chunk of characters and conflicts (The Greyjoys, Lady Stoneheart, Young Griff and the Golden Company). So they can't spoil those for you at least.

Well the show won't follow the last book to the letter because it won't be published but given D&D have access to the draft Winds material I think it's reasonable to assume next season should be pretty close to the next book.

There's nothing to talk you into or out of. In the end you need to do what you want. If you think watching the show will ruin the books for you(one day) then don't watch it. If you're not enjoying it, don't watch it. Beyond that, if it's still entertaining you, maybe you should consider watching it. It's about all it comes down to. I will say, this board is probably the last place you should be if you don't want spoilers dropped even inadvertently as things progress.

Talk you off? Darling, I'm about to start writing all the reasons why men, women, feminists, atheists, religious and proLGTB people shouldn't be watching this joke of a show, print it and give them away on the street. I'm not the one you should be asking about talking you off the show...

Talk you off? Darling, I'm about to start writing all the reasons why men, women, feminists, atheists, religious and proLGTB people shouldn't be watching this joke of a show......

.....and it starts with NO GRIFF(shakes fists at D&D for JCRB)

Talk you off? Darling, I'm about to start writing all the reasons why men, women, feminists, atheists, religious and proLGTB people shouldn't be watching this joke of a show, print it and give them away on the street. I'm not the one you should be asking about talking you off the show...

A question, Red Beard. Has there ever been a time you've liked the show? Not supposed to be a sarcastic question, a man is just curious.

A question, Red Beard. Has there ever been a time you've liked the show? Not supposed to be a sarcastic question, a man is just curious.

I liked it so much I begged my boss to write about it and they gave me central page for it in the mag I used to work for...

I kept liking the show up until Season 4. I joked about a lot but I liked it. I was even ready to get an HD cable subscription to watch Season 5 in all of its glory.

...and then they announced the casting and everything went to hell...

Archived