How Trystane = fAegon could work out

yanmaodao

Trystane = fAegon was a popular fan theory leading up to the fifth season. I was skeptical of it because:

1) The actor they cast for Trystane clearly doesn't look like Aegon.

2) Why would Doran let the Martell line die with no sons of his own?

3) A "Dorne wages war on King's Landing" to plant Trystane and Myrcella as king and queen could work just as well without this element, which would have to include a lot more backstory. Though this has the weakness of, why would Myrcella agree to go to war with her family?

But while reading the Doran gout thread on the ep. 6 subforum, and an interview with the actor who plays Areo Hotah, where he says part of his duties is hiding his Prince's affliction from the public (this is from the books where Doran doesn't like being seen in public because he doesn't want to be seen as weak, but still...), this all slowly dawned on me...

1) Doran doesn't have children because he can't. Gout is the cover story at least on the show, because it's the "rich man's disease" and people won't think too much of a high nobleman having it. In reality, he has a deeper medical problem that precluded him from having children of his own.

2) In the show continuity, Elia is the oldest of her siblings. Which means that by the Dornish custom of equal primogeniture, their line isn't "dying out" if her surviving child were their main heir.

3) This is the silliest part of my initial objections, but Trystane doesn't look like Aegon because in the show's continuity, he takes after his mother, duh. Just like Jon Snow does. Inbred Targaryen genes are weak.

4) Myrcella can be convinced to act against her family if she were married to the actual, rightful prince; add that to the fact that she's young and impressionable. Hey, it worked on Lyanna. (I'm a fan of Lyanna - any Stark, really - but if she went willingly as she most likely did, there's no question she irresponsibly left her family in a very bad situation... though not the same as going to war against them.)

... and as soon as this all came together to me, I thought "yes!" For the first time, I want Trystane = fAegon! Or in this case, Trystane = rAegon.

I realize that it's most likely that the show won't go down this route. The main weakness is the amount of backstory it would require. If Aegon were alive, the show would have to remind casual viewers of who he is. If the rAegon reveal is going to happen, it would happen in episode nine given the name of the episode, and this hasn't happened yet...

Shame.

Depends on Trystane age on the show. If he is Myrcella's age then he can not be fAegon as she was born atleast 18-24 months after Roberts Rebellion(17 years ago at start of show). Joffery was born the year after RR in show canon. 19 at death.

Trystane would need to be 20+ to be fAegon. And Doran would have needed to pass off a out of nowhere one year old child as his son.

Well FAegon is definitely not in existence in the show because of Varys giving Daenerys 100% support. However, it might be important for the story that an outsider tries to sack kings landing. It would give the showrunners something interesting to do.

Thing with the FAegon plot in the books is that surely a landing on the scale of that in the Stormlands would seriously change the way the rest of the 7 Kingdoms acts, it's pretty much a game changer for an enemy force to invade your country! So to me that sounds like it'll be important in later books, even if only to acts as a distraction for the KIngslanding players.

The change of Varys into a Danny supporter seems odd too, as by the end of DwD he's clearly setting things up for FAegon to come rolling into KL, he's killed off two of the members of the small council!

There's changing the story slightly or removing characters, that can be ok most of the time. But the books seem to be setting up for a big plot here and simply ignoring it seems a bit weird.

1). Show Trystane may not have the book Aegon features but he looks a bit like show Viserys imo and could be passed off as a Targaryen.

2). The Martell line doesn't die with Trystane, after Arianne/Qyentyn the next in line is Aegon anyway and besides Doran has 7 Oberyn daughters to legitimize if he needs to.

I just want this to be true :(

It's possible but Trystane would have to be roughly the same age as Jon and Dany, and I'm just not seeing it. I would think they'd have cast a slightly older actor if the show runners planned on this happening. This doesn't rule out the possibility but I think it's less likely they did that than try to shoehorn in Aegon in season 6.

Trystane should be two years older than Jon. No, Trystane is not Aegon, fake or not. There is no Blackfyre, no Arianne to marry him, no Jon Con.

I think we need someone to unite (more or less) Westeros before Daenerys returns. And to be a sizable opposition to her. So she looks like the invader. Lack of other candidates, I suppose it will be Stannis.

4) Myrcella can be convinced to act against her family if she were married to the actual, rightful prince; add that to the fact that she's young and impressionable. Hey, it worked on Lyanna. (I'm a fan of Lyanna - any Stark, really - but if she went willingly as she most likely did, there's no question she irresponsibly left her family in a very bad situation... though not the same as going to war against them.)

i think that they will cut fAegon completly, but if not i don't see this point being a big problem. of course it depends on the outcome of other storylines, but myrcella might be convinced that her brother is a hostage to the tyrells and freeing him might be presented to her as an excuse to go to war. cersei is imprisoned, jamie might be on the road soon and kevan is much less important than in the books and might be murdered or just stays away from KL. myrcella can't know that tommen likes the tyrells and with dornish anti-tyrell propaganda in mind it should be easy to convince her of the opposite. when she is told that tommen can still become lord of the stormlands (or westerlands) than she would (i guess) rather see him in that position than as a hostage-king. in her eyes it would benefit him and that could hardly be seen as betrayal.

this of course would only work if all other lannisters are out of the picture.

however this storyline could also work if trystane is just trystane, so i don't think they would make it more complicated for non-readers and cut fAegon completly

They cast a black man as Areo, who is from Norvos.

Doran's wife is from Norvos.

Trystane looks lighter, he takes after Doran.

In all seriousness, who knows at this point. Varys seems to have put all his eggs in Dany's basket, despite hating magic and everything about it, which would include dragons.

It doesn't seem likely. It just doesn't work and it's not necessary. Unlikely Lady Stoneheart, Aegon could still appear later in this season or the next. Varys said he is part of a plot to restore the Targaryens. All the show has to do is have a scene where Varys reveals Aegon and say they've been hiding him separate from Dany and Viserys to further protect the Targaryen line (just like Bran and Rickon separated). Aegon wasn't sent with Dany because it doesn't seem like she's coming to Westeros any time soon. We already have references to the Golden Company, we already have Illyrio and his riches... it could work.

Hell, Aegon could have been there when Tyrion got to Pentos. He could have been part Quentyn and actually stole one of Dany's dragons. He takes Rhaegal, convinces the Golden Company to follow him and flies off to Westeros. If Gendry could row back to Flea Bottom, Aegon could def fly to Westeros :lol:.

But I don't think he'll show up.

Sorry man. I just don't see it. For Trystane to be Aegon, he needs to be at least a few years older than Jon and Dany and I just don't see it. On the show he is meant to be eighteen. Dany is nineteen while Jon is twenty years old.

The average show watcher is probably not that worried about about the ages of characters.

The average show watcher is probably not that worried about about the ages of characters.

In this case the age he looks is important. It doesn't matter if Ned, Catelyn, Tyrion, Robert, ... are a bit older. But because he is the hidden prince that has to proof himself that he's the real deal, his and also Jon's age are important.

Archived