Those darn tapestries! All books spoilers including TWOIAF and TWOW.

"The double doors showed a hunting scene carved in ebony and weirwood. A pair of stone knights stood sentry at the entrance, armored in fanciful suits of polished red steel that transformed them into griffin and unicorn." (aGoT Eddard, don't know the number)

So we have

-Ebony and weirwood, like the house of the undying

-Stone knights in red steel, transformed into magical beasts

That sounds like Rhollor Red!

"The double doors showed a hunting scene carved in ebony and weirwood. A pair of stone knights stood sentry at the entrance, armored in fanciful suits of polished red steel that transformed them into griffin and unicorn." (aGoT Eddard, don't know the number)

So we have

Messages in tapestries- the same device that is used in the tale of Itys pies, the "real world" Rat Cook story.

I think you're onto something here.

So we have

I can find no quote mentioning ebony and weirwood for the door of the House of the Undying in Qarth.

"When they reached the door—a tall oval mouth, set in a wall fashioned in the likeness of a human face."

Ebony and weirwood is the Many Faced God, House of Black and White: left ebony, right weirwood, with a moon symbol on it in the opposite woods. Rh'llor and the Many Faced God in many ways are the opposite of each other, although the FM do regard the red god as one of the possible ways the god of death can manifest itself.

Very nice job! Definitely one of the more interesting theories I've read about the tapestries. Idk if this will turn out to be anything but it's an interesting tidbit. Garnets got their name from the Latin word for pomegranate. I read a really interesting thread on here about food in asoiaf and there was something about LF/Sansa/pomegranates. There probably isn't a connection but otoh you never know with GRRM

I definitely don't agree with the DNA thing. The whole issue of Cersei's kids' parentage is not important anymore, even her an Jaime are pretty chilled abut telling anyone who asks. And, again, no one has ever mentioned any tapestries with portraits of Baratheons. If that suddenly became an issue I'd be disappointed. GRRM doesn't write like that. The maiden cloak is a possibility but again not much textural evidence and Radio Westeros did a good analysis on Sansa's keeping and smuggling the Hound's Kingsguard cloak, so it would seem a bit odd if Sansa just became cloak lady.

Jaime has told one person. Cersei hasn't told anyone (except in the show). I wouldn't say they are chilled. If the truth comes out about her children, Cersei loses her power and position--she couldn't be Lady of Casterly Rock either after that.

Sansa's not the cloak lady if Petyr smuggled out the other cloak. He says that at her wedding to Harry the Heir she will come out wearing a Stark maiden cloak. Now where is he going to get one without arousing suspicion? He can't just ask some nice lady to make one. The simplest solution is that he had the cloak from Sansa and Tyrion's wedding shipped to the Vale with the tapestries.

And a "hunting" scene.

<snip

Dude! That's JonCon and Rickon! Well, maybe not Rickon. Maybe someone from Skagos. Really interesting when you consider that JonCon is turning into a literal stone knight.

Sansa's maiden cloak smuggled in the tapestries -- a bit like Cleopatra smuggling hereself to Caesar in a rug. Not sure that it would be very necessary, however, as I think a White Cloak with a Direwolf badge wouldn't be THAT difficult to manufacture quickly.

I had thought that the tapestries were either those from Darry or similar to them, LF has certainly heard about Danny by now and would start needing to build up a risk hedging strategy for her return. "See, I am a secret supporter of yours all along, look at these things as proof." Except, Tyrion isn't going to let that fly I would imagine.

Nice work, OilyBlackstone. I commend your efforts on this thoughtfully constructed post. I really like your review of the tapestry discussions throughout the series to date. I need to go back and read this in more detail. I may not agree with every conclusion but you certainly teed up an interesting dialogue. Well done.

This is a good theory. I don't think it's true but interesting and well worth reading nonetheless.

P.S Can you increase the font in the OP?!?

Thank you! I don't know if it's true either, but it made the most sense to me from everything i read if the tapestries do mean anything. I have bumped up the font, I cut and pasted it from word and didn't realise it would come out so small!

Kudos: though I don't neccasarily agree with everything stated this is probably one of the best presented/formatted and well thought out / researched theories (that is atleast plausible) I have read in a very long time.

T. Mott and reworking VS, and thus Gendry maybe knowing has always interested me. Also, we probably have only seen about 5 VS weapons "in POV" throughout ASOIAF. (Though we know of a lot more). The one with arguably the biggest plot so far was the VS dagger, and of course LF was also well enveloped in that plot as well.

Very kind, thank you! About Gendry and TM - I know, right? GRRM isn't afraid to throw in random unconnected characters, that's one of the great things about his writing. So there must be something to the main Baratheon bastard character being trained by the only VS reworking character, surely?

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you [little curtsey]. A good question and for now I'd only be able to say he's a resourceful guy who makes it his business to know stuff, and he spent a lot of time in the small council chamber. But, that's kind of lame I know. I'd like to have another look at the Valyrian steel discussions around the Bran assassination attempt involving LF, and I will do just as soon as I finish this paper I've got due on the stuff I'm supposed to be studying, then I can get back to the stuff I actually like studying!

This may be a lead, or not, it's nowhere near confirmed, but there was a theory posted recently on the General forum that it was Lord Belmore of the Vale that brought Gendry to Tobho Mott and that he was acting on behalf of Littlefinger.

This may be a lead, or not, it's nowhere near confirmed, but there was a theory posted recently on the General forum that it was Lord Belmore of the Vale that brought Gendry to Tobho Mott and that he was acting on behalf of Littlefinger.

Because of the purple cloak?

Because of the purple cloak?

It's not my theory to defend, but yeah, that's the gist of it. Purple cloak with silver trim, House Belmore colours. Red in his beard, same as Lord Belmor, who is obviously Littlefinger's cats paw. If it is him then Lord Belmore has packed on a few pounds since then, or possibly it was another member of House Belmore? Depends if you believe It was Varys, Littlefinger, or another, who sent Gendry to Tobho. I think it's plausible, but as I said, far from confirmed.

Dude! That's JonCon and Rickon! Well, maybe not Rickon. Maybe someone from Skagos. Really interesting when you consider that JonCon is turning into a literal stone knight.

Rickon-Skagos-Unicorn angle is more relevant to the overall story, but House Brax has a unicorn as their sigil, and quite a few knights from that house have made appearance in the series. Flement Brax is married to a Frey woman. I'd love all the Freys to catch greyscale one way or other.

Archived