will Melisande and bloodraven meet?

King17

Well how else will a father meet his daughter? On record I'm not entirely sold on this theory

You mean BR + SS = Mel

open your eyes pal, all the evidence is there.

Such as? This one is new to me.

I think they will. I think Melisandre will go North to find the servants of the Great Other: Bran and BR.

Mel won't be able to send a shadowbaby to kill BR from outside the cave as it is warded with spells like at SE. But I think she will get inside and kill BR given their Perun-Veles influence. As Apple Martini pointed out, BR losing his eye is takes after Odin who sacrificed his eye for knowledge, including foreseeing his own death, and I wouldn't be surprised if BR foresaw his own death, possibly being one of the reasons why he called for Bran to come to him now along with the Long Night. He wants to teach Bran in the amount of time he has before he dies.

The conflict between Mel and BR is influenced by the conflict between Perun and Veles in Slavic mythology. Perun is described as having coppery hair, and associated with the East. As well as being the deity of fire, Perun was associated with eagles. Melisandre has coppery hair, comes from the East and it is felt in her accent and breath by characters. She also burns Orell's eagle, and the fire aspect needs no explanation.

There is the universal myth of the World Tree that could tie in with the weirwood. The trunk of the tree represented the realm of mortals, the upper branches the sky, the realm of heavenly deities and celestial bodies and the roots which represented the underworld. Veles was the Slavic god of earth, water and the underworld, and he was associated with sorcery and dragons. Veles was in constant conflict with Perun.

When dawn broke over the city, the dark red blooms of dragon’s breath surrounded the girls where they lay.

BR's sigil is a white dragon breathing red flames. Dragons in Slavic mythology are extremely intelligent, wise and knowledgeable creatures of superhuman strength and proficiency in magic, which describes BR well. Veles is said to take the form of a dragon, and transforms into animals, trees and people. BR can warg into animals and weirwood trees as a greenseer. The CotF cave is a kind of underworld as it has weirwood roots coming out of its walls, and the magic of greenseeing is connected to the Old Gods, which is rooted in earth and water.

Archived