Obsidian; a weapon against the Others and dragons?

As I have said here I believe that the dragons are as big thread against the humanity as the Others and that the world would be protected by balance against the extremities of fire and ice.

Now I was thinking about obsidian. We know that obsidian is a volcanic glass made by cooled lava and that afawk is the only think that can kill the Others. For me I see obsidian as a balance between fire and ice, it’s lava but is cold and since it can kill one of the extremes it can kill the other too.

What do you think? Let me know if it is crackpot in order to edit the title.

No, just Others. Dragons are flesh and blood (extremely hard flesh and iron bones) while Others are made out of magic ice. Dragon Glass doesn't even work against the wights, just the Others. It's frozen fire, why would it work against fire made flesh (a metaphor, dragons are not actually made out of fire). Haven't you ever heard the expression you can't fight fire with fire.

Also dragons are not the fire equivalent of the Others. Dragons are first and foremost animals. If left wild they leave people alone. They live on volcanoes and eat sheep and deer and leave people alone. Dragons were used as weapons by the Valyrians and the Targaryens after but they were under human control and some kings (like Jahaerys) probably never had their dragon kill anyone.

The Others are coming south and bringing an eternal winter behind them. Any enemies the Others kill are reanimated and brought back to serve the Others. The dragons are the ultimate weapon against the Others.

Ironwood arrow through the eye for fire dragon.

Weirwood arrow through the eye for fire dragon.

Or perhaps the opposite.

Weirwood arrows are very effective against men. We haven't seen ironwood weapons on men. Yet.

Background on why is here: https://endgameofthrones.wordpress.com/2015/05/20/the-garden-of-edenos-the-weirwood-tree-of-knowledge-the-ironwood-of-eternal-life-and-the-wall-as-banishment-rexamined/

House Yronwood's words are " We Guard The Way"

Could be. I'll call it crackpot only because there is no text on it, but it's not that far out there. Is the basis just obsidian has magical properties and kills WW's so why not the other end of the spectrum? It's one of those questions that won't be answered unless it happens.

My guess would be no, I really imagined it as a CotF weapon specifically for the WW's. But I wouldn't scream bullshit if in the books it came out that obsidian arrows were the best thing to take out a dragon.

What about ice? We know that the dragons don't like rain, is there any text about dragons being active in the snow and ice? If Obsidian comes from the earth naturally as a counter measure to the Others, perhaps snow and/or ice works the same way for dragons.

What about ice? We know that the dragons don't like rain, is there any text about dragons being active in the snow and ice? If Obsidian comes from the earth naturally as a counter measure to the Others, perhaps snow and/or ice works the same way for dragons.

No there is nothing to say that dragons can or cannot be active aka fight during snow and ice. The only thing we know is that Silverwing went to the North and the Wall. Which for me means nothing special for now. Afawk we have no idea about dragons and LN2.0.

Dragons are flesh and blood, others aren't. Obsidian has magic powers against the magically constructed ice creatures. The dragons have hard hides and are massive. Obsidian is effective against the ice others because it comes from Volcanoes, dragons also come from Volcanoes.

DRAGONS ARE NOT THE OPPOSITE OF THE OTHERS!!!

Now the Others' unnatural Ice swords might be anathema to the dragons though.

Well... it's called dragonglass. So while I don't think stabbing a shard into a dragon would heighten it's powers, I don't think it would work against them as well as the Others. Obsidian might feel cold because it's hardened lava but there's fire in it. It's formed from the flames inside the Earth, that's why it works against the cold Others.

Anything dragon-related seems to be a poison to the Others. Dragonglass, dragonsteel, fire... if dragons dont work against them then I'd be quite surprised.

I say no. Obsidian is called dragonglass because its origin is in fire. It originates in volcanoes and thus have the fire element and it does not need an ice element to form. So I don't think it is the balance of ice and fire. And there is no textual support for this. Dragons and dragonglass are common knowledge for years in ASOIAF yet there are no references pointing towards obsidian being a weapon against dragons.

Anything dragon-related seems to be a poison to the Others. Dragonglass, dragonsteel, fire...

I love how it went from text to fanfiction is just 3 words...

DRAGONS ARE NOT THE OPPOSITE OF THE OTHERS!!!

Could you use a bigger font? It is barely big enough to read. Why you need to scream? You have your opinion other people have their opinion.

I say no. Obsidian is called dragonglass because its origin is in fire. It originates in volcanoes and thus have the fire element and it does not need an ice element to form. So I don't think it is the balance of ice and fire. And there is no textual support for this. Dragons and dragonglass are common knowledge for years in ASOIAF yet there are no references pointing towards obsidian being a weapon against dragons.

It needs the fire to cool. So it is a form of coldness and ice. After all if we have to be on semantics mode lave isn't fire either Lava is molten rock.

I don't think its crackpot, at least not yet. We simply don't know. But, like you, I think we'll likely find out, as I also tend to believe much as you do, that the dragons will prove to be a similar threat as the Others.

I would think that whatever the WW swords are made of are are more likely to be dragon killing weapons rather than dragonglass. The cotf may have had something to do with bringing the WW into the world but even if not at the very least had quite a bit of contact with them thousands of years before dragons came to Westeros. The cotf used obsidian for their weapons. There has been some speculation on the forums that the original sword Ice is in fact an ice sword similar to what the WWs have and that it is in the crypts at Winterfell. No evidence for this though. But I don't think that dragons have a vulnerability to obsidian.

We've learned that there was a time long before the Doom and the Valyrians when dragons were common in the world and even bones/fossils have been found in Westeros. Something killed them off akin to the dinosaurs and I'm leaning toward some kind of weather phenomenon. We see strong hints that the long night also occurred in Essos so to me, I really think snow and/or ice has to have some kind of effect on them. And I really know that this could be all :bs:

I love how it went from text to fanfiction is just 3 words...

This is bizarre. My post is way longer than that one sentence you quoted or three words. We're only on the first page. Can we save the snark for later?

Anything dragon-related seems to be a poison to the Others. Dragonglass, dragonsteel, fire...

This is from the books. It's speculation but it's definitely from the books. How is it fanfiction?

This is bizarre. My post is way longer than that one sentence you quoted or three words. We're only on the first page. Can we save the snark for later?

This is from the books. It's speculation but it's definitely from the books. How is it fanfiction?

That is why I said in three words. From what we know so far fire just keeps them away and nothing more. As for the dragonsteel and glass, that is what the people named them, it doesn't mean that they have actually anything to do with dragons. By that logic; Zeus was named the God of thunder, sky and created storms->Meraxes coun't fly during a storm->Zeus could kill Meraxes->Zeus could killed the dragons.

I would imagine it's called Dragonsteel bc it's Valyrian steel and Valyrians are associated with dragons. As for the connection with Dragonglass and dragonsteel, there is fire magic associated with both in the art of making VS and obsidian makes glass candles and evaporates ice monsters.

I am more behind what minuteman said that the WW swords would be more of a weapon against the dragons than obsidian.

Archived