How Do You Pass Time Alone?

Stan Man

Hi all!

In my free time and on my weekends, I spend a lot of time at a family house on a like (it's peaceful and serene, lovely place).

But I realize I have a lack of things to do. I write, of course, and I read, but I can only do so much of those at one time. We do have Internet here, but I'm trying to foresake the world wide web in pursuit of other hobbies. So I posit: what do you do in your spare time that doesn't involve the Internet, reading, or writing?

"Potter on" around the house doing various tasks - cleaning, cooking, hoovering,morning etc.

Listen to music.

Go for long walks (you are on a lake so presumably this should be an obvious choice, as you should have some lovely walks available)

Exercise

Read

"Potter on" around the house doing various tasks - cleaning, cooking, hoovering,morning etc.

Listen to music.

Go for long walks (you are on a lake so presumably this should be an obvious choice, as you should have some lovely walks available)

Exercise

Read

There is quite a lovely walk available - I did it today, although I must admit it was nearly unenjoyable due to the amount of mosquitoes (the woods are a little marshy). I'll layer on with more bug spray next time, but I think I'm gonna stick to the open trails next time (not as fun, but they're there).

Gleefully. I love my own company, and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

If you're bored, find a project. Use the time to do that thing you've had sitting in a bottom drawer or scribbled in a notebook somewhere for the past five years. Learn a language, learn pottery, futz around with DIY.

Go enjoy the nature in that beautiful serene place.

Antique shopping. Decorating and cleaning my house. Cook. Crafts. Exercise. Container gardening. Take classes. I live in a city with a lot of stuff to do, I do most of it alone - go to museums, public lectures, festivals, various arts performances -plays, dance, live music.

Living out in a secluded place you could practice whittling or taxidermy, fishing, home-tattooing.

I used to paint, but I'm so bad at it I haven't done it in a while.

Go enjoy the nature in that beautiful serene place.

Antique shopping. Decorating and cleaning my house. Cook. Crafts. Exercise. Take classes. I live in a city with a lot of stuff to do, I do most of it alone - go to museums, public lectures, festivals, various arts performances -plays, dance, live music.

Definitely enjoying the nature. Sitting on the shore of the lake (admittedly with my laptop). 75 degrees, slight breeze, sunny with clouds. :)

Short on money and currently without a car, but I did try to experiment with some cooking. I'm a notoriously terrible chef, but I made steak for lunch today. I was pretty content sitting alone on the shore with a plate of steak and onions, and the sound of the woods and acoustic music.

I'm currently experimenting with an oatmeal recipe one of my friends shared online - something about scooping oatmeal into a muffin pan and freezing it. My first try worked out pretty horribly, but I have another set in the freezer and I'm hoping it comes out okay!

I let my family take my car for a few days, so I'm currently trapped here with no car, no money. Not that I'm complaining. The scenery is lovely, and I'm working on a book for a contract job. It's just that I can only take so much of hours of doing the same (boring) job before I start twiddling my thumbs :)

What I really tend to do is sit in my bedroom hunched over the computer, just sort of staring into it. A lot of time can be passed in this way. More time, in fact, than you think! Specifically, I will be listening to music I enjoy or watching videos that entertain while I perform other operations such as eating, drinking, relaxing, or just hanging out. It is not always interesting, alas. It is only ever as interesting as my mind itself is. So how do I pass time alone? Easily! Or not!

Man where to start...

Guitar/music

Video Games

Garden

Play w/ my dogs

Cook awesome food

Read

Work on my apps

Learn new technology

Crafts/painting/drawing

I wish I had more alone time TBH...

Gleefully. I love my own company, and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

If you're bored, find a project. Use the time to do that thing you've had sitting in a bottom drawer or scribbled in a notebook somewhere for the past five years. Learn a language, learn pottery, futz around with DIY.

Same here. XD

I too enjoy my own company, but because it's rare that I'm completely alone these days, I tend to spend those precious hours sleeping late/napping, reading in silence, or watching TV (Buffy has been my programme of choice lately). When I had a lot of time to myself, I would potter around the house, tidying up and cooking. I'm looking forward to those days again, people suck.

Well, my hobbies at the moment are knitting, sketching and egg dying. I'm guessing none of these things are going to hit home. I chose these because I like crafting things with my hands, so the specifics aren't really relevant. I change hobbies and focus often, but they can all be described as crafty,

What do you enjoy in general? Something quiet, active, cerebral, mindless, etc. try thinking along those lines and then finding an activity that falls into those parameters. If it doesn't stick, try something else.

Also, when I am alone, I find that's the best time to do housework with the stereo blasting. It energizes me and doesn't annoy others.

I spend almost every weekend from memorial day to Columbus day (late May to mid October) at my in-laws lake house in Maine. Here are some things I do to pass the time and deal with mosquitoes:

• Cycling - mostly my roadie but i have a beater mounty that i use sometimes. Lots of deserted side roads to ride on. I'll go out for 50 or 60 miles rides in the mornings and be back ready to swim with the kids.
  • Puzzles, crosswords, soduku, find a word - any of these are good for a time kill
  • Campfires - keeps the bugs away and is strangely hypnotic
  • Hiking - sometimes you have to drive to the good spots but if you can find something with elevation - 3k feet or higher the bugs usually stay away. if you get above treeline they definitely stay away.
  • Demolition projects - i love cutting down trees and ripping up old structures like our shed.

lots of other ideas but those are some that pop into my head.

My family also has a cabin, although it's by a river. I tend to spend a lot of time hiking and kayaking there, and as soon as I'm done with this school year I need to relentlessly relax and spend time on my own because I'm absolutely exhausted. I also do things around the house (cleaning, organizing) and then personal projects like playing my banjo or singing. I dunno. I have summers off and I manage to fill most of the time. I do some crafts, work out, write grant proposals, and apparently I'm supposed to learn Python this summer. (It's my roommate's plan that I read and test his Python for beginners books so he can get feedback.) Recently I've been playing a lot of Ingress. I find being around people all day to be mentally exhausting.

I covet my time alone. Gardening, cooking, reading, hiking, listening to and playing music, bird watching.

I'm around people all day at least 5 days a week. I'm active in my church, and do things with friends, but I require a good bit of alone time in order to recharge my batteries.

I read, workout, and maybe go for a run or walk. I rarely get time alone, when I do I try and make the most of it. Also, I like to make myself something fancy to eat and then post pictures of it on Facebook.....nah, just kidding, that's actually a huge pet peeve of mine, the posting of said food. Clean house, do laundry and anything else I can knock off the honey-do list without two gremlins hanging onto my ankles. Truly, if you can't think of anything to do, then well, just enjoy that you have some peaceful time for yourself. Doesn't happen to often in my life as the King of this hill.

I too enjoy my own company, but because it's rare that I'm completely alone these days, I tend to spend those precious hours sleeping late/napping, reading in silence, or watching TV (Buffy has been my programme of choice lately). When I had a lot of time to myself, I would potter around the house, tidying up and cooking. I'm looking forward to those days again, people suck.

I like you.

Archived