Robert Baratheon Appreciation Thread

Id like to take a few moments to appreciate Robert Baratheon, first of his name!

His reign ushered in a reign peace and prosperity to Westeros. Because he rebelled, he freed Westeros from a mad king, and (for the time being) put to end a dynasty, riddled with incest and madness. Although he may have deprived Westeros of some super good kings/queens, he more than made up for it by getting rid of the future Viserys' that could have come!

Sure Robert made a few mistakes here and there ( in terms of managing finances say.) But he made Kings Landing a lot of fun. He made feasts and tourneys, and his 15 or so reign was filled with fun and laughter.

Sure some people said he drank too much, whored too much, and didn't behave as responsibly as he could have. But you know what? No one is perfect!

I think its also offensive people criticize him for his sleeping around. Do they criticize Cersei for having her fun? It was Robert's body, remember, his to do with what he will. It seems so backward and provincial to state he must only confine his sexuality to Cersei. She didn't even want him anyway!

In some ways, Robert's reign reminds me a lot of Miley Cyrus, and her hit single "Can't Stop!" Remember when Miley was singing about how and she and her friends "Cant stop.... and they won't stop..." Its her basically saying to all the uptight haters who criticize her "You know what? Step off! this is my life, I will live it to the fullest!"

Robert exemplified the spirit and message of Miley's hit single, by not stopping what made him feel good and brought him fulfillment in this world. Heres to you Robert Baratheon! I would eat a shank of boar and raise a horn of ale to your memory any day!

Hear hear!!

I'm a HUGE Robert Baratheon fan. As a character, I find him funny and tragic and awesome and sad. He's such an interesting figure, controversial in some ways, very clear cut in others. I'm drawn to the tragedy of Robert Baratheon, and at the end of it all, I just think he's cool.

Also, in regards to Cersei I understand that Robert is a shitty husband and neglectful father, but good god this is Cersei we're talking about! She's a classic psychopath and narcissist. I'm not saying she deserved to be beat and raped in the marriage bed, but Jesus she's awful and cruel. She's a big part of why Joffrey turned out the way he did, she's incapable of empathy, and a complete hypocrite about her feelings on being a woman, and how she treats women.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't lose much sleep over whether Robert was a great husband to her.

I don't get Cersei really. She resents being cheated on, but she has no intention of satisfying her husband. Why does she care if he cheats on her if she is so loose?

1) Robert started the marriage off on a sour note by calling Cersei 'Lyanna' on their wedding night. She wasn't calling him Jaime.

2) Cersei attempted to fulfill her role as a 'loving wife' in the first year of marriage. Robert had multiple affairs and Cersei finally decided that wanted him 'horned'. She told this to Jaime and they resumed their affair.

3) Cersei isn't 'loose'. That is a garbage, sexist comment. They were both unfaithful to each other and until her affair with Lancel, she was faithful to her lover. That isn't something Robert can say.

4) Cersei most certainly 'satisfied' her man. Birth control is fairly primitive in this society outside of 'moon tea' and questionable procedures. One of those abortions occurred early in the marriage. The main method for her controlling her reproduction is to use other methods of pleasing him

I consider Robert Baratheon a good person. It makes me sad to think about him because he is clearly severely depressed. Many criticize him for his vices (or worse try to demonize him) but the truth is that Robert was just a miserable soul who was broken down by a lifetime of heartbreak.

For starters, when Robert is Twelve years old, he watches from the battlements of Storm's End as both his parents are killed in a shipwreck. Imagine how hard it is for an eleven year old boy to lose both of his parents suddenly, now imagine he had to WATCH them both die? Yeah, not a good start.

Immediately after that, he is separated from his two brothers and fostered in a foreign environment. While he had a cool surrogate father and met a man who would be his lifelong friend, it couldn't have been easy.

But then Robert falls in love with Eddard's sister Lyanna. Perhaps it is when he actually sees her, perhaps it is after hearing Eddard describe what she is like enough times. But either way, Rickard Stark agrees to betroth his daughter to the Handsome Young lord of the Stormlands, and for the first time in his life it looks like Robert might actually be happy.

Nope! Rhaegar pulls the rug out from under him, kidnapping Lyanna and locking her in a tower where he can rape her for months on end. First he and Eddard wait with held breath as Eddard's brother and father try to negotiate her release, but The Mad King Aerys has them both burned alive. Diplomacy a failure, Robert marches to war with righteous fury in his heart and his friends/allies (Eddard, Hoster, Jon Arryn) by his side. He even kills the rapist lowlife himself.

Despite their best efforts, Lyanna dies anyway. Robert is left with no time to mourn before he has to marry Cersei in the misguided hope of bringing the Lannisters into the fold. He calls out Lyanna's name in bed, because again she died very recently. And despite yearning for Rhaegar the same way Robert yearns for Lyanna, Cersei decides to hate Robert anyway. She threatens to murder any bastards he brings to his home, so he can not contact Mya Stone.

Robert gives Dragonstone to Stannis, because he trusts Stannis to root out the Targaryen Loyalists. Their relationship falls apart, and while both brothers love each other they mistakenly feel said love is unrequited.

He's married to a woman who hates him, the woman he actually loves died, his 'true born children' are turning out horribly, his relationship with his brothers is in shambles, and his sole friend had to go live far away. So Robert tries to drown his sorrow in wine, woman, and song. It fails miserably, and soon he feels dead.

Then Cersei murders Robert in cold blood, and sends assassins after his bastards because she does not want any part of Robert to remain.

I can only hope Stannis succeeds in avenging his brother, and that we get a scene of him in the Royal Crypt crying when nobody is looking (or at the very least telling Robert's tomb "I did it brother, I brought you justice. Now you can rest in peace. Say hi to Mom and Dad for me.").

I can only hope Stannis succeeds in avenging his brother, and that we get a scene of him in the Royal Crypt crying when nobody is looking (or at the very least telling Robert's tomb "I did it brother, I brought you justice. Now you can rest in peace. Say hi to Mom and Dad for me.").

Lol, and Renly too? I don't think his relationship with Renly was ever in shambles. I think he just thought he was his kid brother, who was way younger and who he didn't have much in common with. I wonder if he knew he was gay, or if he would have cared if he knew?

This. Honestly, I love Robert as a character, but these threads usually don't end well.

My sentiments exactly. He's not a good person, but I feel he is one of the strongest written characters in the books, and I love that about him. Kind of like how feel about both Jaime and Theon.

He literally crushed the Targaryen dynasty, which had stood for hundreds of years. The only one to ever do so.

then he proved his supremacy by smashing Balon when he rebelled. He wasn't a great king, but he was pretty much the greatest celebrity of his era. His was truly the fury.

1) Robert started the marriage off on a sour note by calling Cersei 'Lyanna' on their wedding night. She wasn't calling him Jaime.

That was probably only weeks after Eddard brought back news that Lyanna was dead. Its unreasonable to assume he'd get over it that quickly. And Cersei actually outdid him; she literally slept with Jamie on her wedding day. And she was pining for Rhaegar, so she can't criticize Robert for being heartbroken over Lyanna.

2) Cersei attempted to fulfill her role as a 'loving wife' in the first year of marriage. Robert had multiple affairs and Cersei finally decided that wanted him 'horned'. She told this to Jaime and they resumed their affair.

Cersei refused to go with Robert on his hunting trips because she preferred to sleep with her twin brother. She threatened to have Mya Stone murdered if Robert brought the girl to court. Cersei was trying to ruin Robert's life.

3) Cersei isn't 'loose'. That is a garbage, sexist comment. They were both unfaithful to each other and until her affair with Lancel, she was faithful to her lover. That isn't something Robert can say.

Bull. Shit. Cersei slept with Jamie on the day of their wedding. And it is not unreasonable to assume she slept around with other people considering over the course of the story she slept with Lancel, the Kettleblacks and Taena Merryweather. None of those were for lust, just in exchange for favors.

4) Cersei most certainly 'satisfied' her man. Birth control is fairly primitive in this society outside of 'moon tea' and questionable procedures. One of those abortions occurred early in the marriage. The main method for her controlling her reproduction is to use other methods of pleasing him

It's not controlling her reproduction, it's selfishly placing her own desire to prevent any part of Robert surviving over the good of the kingdom. If Joffery actually was Robert's son, the war of five kings would not have happened.

:lmao:

Yeah, no. That's isn't happening.

He literally crushed the Targaryen dynasty, which had stood for hundreds of years. The only one to ever do so.

then he proved his supremacy by smashing Balon when he rebelled. He wasn't a great king, but he was pretty much the greatest celebrity of his era. His was truly the fury.

Lmao Rhaegar would praise Bob, even after getting killed by him.

I'm in the process of rereading A Game of Thrones (for like the tenth time) and Robert comes off really bad. He is a lazy drunk whose misrule, inattention, and disinterest in anything after the war has allowed people like Varys, Baelish, and Cersei to drive the realm towards war. He is a bitter man who drowns his bitterness in women and drink.

Archived