Things that confused you the first time reading?

zammey12

I'm not a very observant reader, so I miss a lot of things when I read the first time. Here are some of my worst.

Not realizing "Ned" was "Eddard" till his first POV

Not knowing who the heck Theon was when he popped up in ACOK

Not reliazing Abel was Mance until some online research.

What kind of mistakes/confusion did you guys have on your first times reading?

A lot, and I think the one about Mance was the same. A small list (but there are many more):

- No idea about the R+L=J possibility (I didn’t think he was Ned’s son though)

- Many people discriptions that didn’t got me thinking (not a strong point of myself so I understand that I missed them)

- Alleras = Sallera

- It wasn’t really obvious to me that the red wedding was going to occur (missed all the subtle hints).

- Had no idea that Beric Dondarion was send away by Ned to hunt down the mountain.

- No idea that LF would screw Ned over, which later on was rather obvious.

- No idea that Janos Slynt was the guy betraying Ned in KL and was later on beheaded by Jon (I had no idea that it was the same guy).

- No idea that the guy in oldtown was probably Jaqen (again a character description)

- I totally mix up all them greyjoys (still kinda do), except for Balon ofc.

- No idea that bloordraven was the greenseer in the cave. (Didn’t read the dunk & egg novels)

- I’ll stop here.

A lot, and I think the one about Mance was the same. A small list (but there are many more):

- No idea about the R+L=J possibility (I didnt think he was Neds son though)

- Many people discriptions that didnt got me thinking (not a strong point of myself so I understand that I missed them)

- Alleras = Sallera

- It wasnt really obvious to me that the red wedding was going to occur (missed all the subtle hints).

- Had no idea that Beric Dondarion was send away by Ned to hunt down the mountain.

- No idea that LF would screw Ned over, which later on was rather obvious.

- No idea that Janos Slynt was the guy betraying Ned in KL and was later on beheaded by Jon (I had no idea that it was the same guy).

- No idea that the guy in oldtown was probably Jaqen (again a character description)

- I totally mix up all them greyjoys (still kinda do), except for Balon ofc.

- No idea that bloordraven was the greenseer in the cave. (Didnt read the dunk & egg novels)

- Ill stop here.

I missed all those theory possibilities too. I just took the book for what was spelled out for me. I know now that was a bad idea. Haha.

I'm not a very observant reader, so I miss a lot of things when I read the first time. Here are some of my worst.

Not realizing "Ned" was "Eddard" till his first POV

Not knowing who the heck Theon was when he popped up in ACOK

Not reliazing Abel was Mance until some online research.

What kind of mistakes/confusion did you guys have on your first times reading?

I'm confused, don't the books outright say that Abel is Mance?

I missed all those theory possibilities too. I just took the book for what was spelled out for me. I know now that was a bad idea. Haha.

Yeah kinda the same for me. Was my first epic fantasy serie though..

I'm confused, don't the books outright say that Abel is Mance?

Not as far as I know?!

Something that still confuses me is the pronunciation of names. Only recently have I realized damphair is pronounced damp - hair. I was thinking it was dampfair.

As for theories I'm very proud to say i got sarella = alleras (but only because I was deliberately looking for where she was due to Dorans "leave her to her game") and Frey pies on my first reading. And of course the Abel = Mance, but I didn't think that was one of the harder ones.

Everything else I've got from reading stuff online.

When "Reek" returned to Winterfell with the Bolton army and did the reveal to Theon I had absolutely no idea what was going on and who this guy was. I can't remember if I eventually figured it out, whether someone (or the internet) told me, or if I was confused until it was later cleared up in the novels.

When "Reek" returned to Winterfell with the Bolton army and did the reveal to Theon I had absolutely no idea what was going on and who this guy was. I can't remember if I eventually figured it out, whether someone (or the internet) told me, or if I was confused until it was later cleared up in the novels.

Yeah that Reek was Ramsay himself. Surprisingly I got that one..

i completely missed the Manderly Frey-pies situation. not until i started reading theories and message boards did that make sense to me.

Yeah, same here.

Abel being Mance

Not figuring out Loras, and Renly's sexuality

Frey pies

Not figuring out Jaqen was the Alchemist

And forgot a lot of names. Glover who? Harwin who? Don't even get me started with the Freys in that regard...

-Tyrion's chapters on the Shy Maid, were very confusiong for me and had to reread several parts to understand what the hell was going on, partly because I've always find Tyrion rather annoying.

-I didnt realise Mance was Abel until the Spearwives were helping Theon rescue fArya and that's when I made the connection.

-I didnt recognise Jaqen in the Pate chapter until I reached the end of the book when "Pate" introduces himself to Sam

There's probably more I just dont remember them at the moment

Archived