FIFA... business as usual

Corvinus85

I share the sentiments of the above posters and would like to congratulate President Blatter on his re-election this coming Friday, his perserverance, good humour and the essential human decency with which he confronts this campaign of hideously well-documented lies is an inspiration to us all.

I share the sentiments of the above posters and would like to congratulate President Blatter on his re-election this coming Friday, his perserverance, good humour and the essential human decency with which he confronts this campaign of hideously well-documented lies is an inspiration to us all.

Yeah this. FIFA are brazenly corrupt. Every few years a big scandal blows up, Blatter offers up a sacrifical lamb or two, things calm down, he carries on.

The Economist put it well, "America receives plenty of flak for stretching the long arm of its law across the world. Sometimes the criticism is justified. In this case, it deserves a pat on the back for lobbing a legal grenade into an organisation that has got away with too much for too long."

What galls me is that those investigated and arrested were from FIFA.

For a brief moment I had assumed the arrests were of the crooks involved with the FISA

courts. Then the depressing reality set in that those crooks will never be held accountable nor

investigated by the FBI.

Enable espionage on entire country,

stay scott free.

Bribe a couple sporting officials,

walk the plank!!

Nice priorities at work here in the un-justice system.

Yeah this. FIFA are brazenly corrupt. Every few years a big scandal blows up, Blatter offers up a sacrifical lamb or two, things calm down, he carries on.

I think they might have gone too far this time. Awarding the 2018 WC to Russia was the usual and even in the current political climate, they probably would have gotten away with it, but Qatar for 2022 is a bridge too far. It's not their culture or even the fact that the stadiums are being built by slave labor which results in the deaths of thousands due to the working conditions. The latter is bad for publicity, but there's nothing to be pinned directly on FIFA or even on Qatar -- the blame is somehow always shifted onto mysterious "sub-contractors".

No, the real problem is that it is not physically possible to play in Qatar during the traditional summer months -- human beings simply cannot run for extended periods of time when the ambient temperature is 40 degrees Celsius. FIFA's "solution" to this was to move the start of the tournament to late November which means that it ends in late December. This obviously conflicts with with a long list of other scheduled activities, the most notable of which are league games around the world (though Christmas is not far behind). Basically, they've managed to annoy some very rich, very influential people who stand to lose substantial amounts of money if this goes ahead. Brazen corruption is one thing, irritating the elites is quite another.

Archived