Who is the secret warrior at harrenhal tournament ?

ilikethesebooks

Meera seeming surprised that Bran didn't know of the story when she told it to him seems to indicate to me it was someone associated with House Stark. Lyanna's the one that makes the most sense given Ned compares her to Arya.

Meera seeming surprised that Bran didn't know of the story when she told it to him seems to indicate to me it was someone associated with House Stark. Lyanna's the one that makes the most sense given Ned compares her to Arya.

Maybe she is just surprised because its a well known tale and both of their families are involved in one way or another. It's not like Meera knows who it was so I don't see any specific reason she would be surprised other than what I said in the first sentence.

Maybe she is just surprised because its a well known tale and both of their families are involved in one way or another. It's not like Meera knows who it was so I don't see any specific reason she would be surprised other than what I said in the first sentence.

Surprised that she asks him repeatedly if he'd never heard the story? Seems a bit much for not randomly hearing a story if there wasn't more to it.

I don't think Lyanna makes any sense as the KOTLT. That means a 14 year old girl would have had to have beaten three knights, grown men who spend every day of their lives training. Which is totally ridiculous.

I don't think Lyanna makes any sense as the KOTLT. That means a 14 year old girl would have had to have beaten three knights, grown men who spend every day of their lives training. Which is totally ridiculous.

She also had to have a booming voice too.

Surprised that she asks him repeatedly if he'd never heard the story? Seems a bit much for not randomly hearing a story if there wasn't more to it.

But what is the more to it? It's clear that Meera doesn't know who the KoTLT is so what is her shock about? If there was a story that eventually caused the death of the Lord of your house and his brother and his sister , the fall of a dynasty, and Robert's Rebellion and you hadn't heard it yet I'd be pretty shocked too. I don't think Meera being surprised makes Lyanna anymore likely to be the person

Almost as ridiculous as a 10 year old Arya drawing up a hitlist and then personally killing people on it?

But what is the more to it? It's clear that Meera doesn't know who the KoTLT is so what is her shock about? If there was a story that eventually caused the death of the Lord of your house and his brother and his sister , the fall of a dynasty, and Robert's Rebellion and you hadn't heard it yet I'd be pretty shocked too. I don't think Meera being surprised makes Lyanna anymore likely to be the person

Nah, Rhaegar being tasked to catch the knight all around the same time their little love saga started is what makes me think it's her. I could be wrong, it is why we call them theories.

An almost-adult woman, who is fire and flame for the activity making up 9/10ths of jousting, according to Jaime Lannister, and with benefits from a latent skinchanging ability, against some no-name knights..

An almost-adult woman, who is fire and flame for the activity making up 9/10ths of jousting, according to Jaime Lannister, and with benefits from a latent skinchanging ability, against some no-name knights..

Nah, let's face it, it's completely unrealistic. Like dragons and Ice Zombies. But it's par for the course for fantasy and I too assume it was her.

Real jousting is not mostly horsemanship. Keeping your horse calm in a tourney and riding in a straight line at a steady pace is not as easy as it sounds, but it's not an impressive feat of horsemanship either. Jousting is primarily about being strong enough to keep a huge lance on target and about absorbing a lot of kinetic energy while managing to stay in the saddle. There is a revival of jousting nowadays, and without surprise the best jousters tend to be fairly big guys. The winner of the full-metal-jousting reality show for example was 6'4'' 240 pounds**. A 14 year old weighing half as much would get ejected from her horse on any glancing blow and would have a much harder time handling the same lance..

Also, these three no-name knights were good enough to compete at the biggest tournament in years, which is kinda like the major leagues. Unless there were 20 000 knights competing in the tournament, I expect there was some means to screen the shrubs and only have a few hundreds of the best jousters take the field.

Lyanna winning these three jousting matches is completely unrealistic. And it is also almost certainly what happened!

**I'd expect there is a diminishing return from being big and strong. Past 250 pounds, your horse will have an increasingly difficult time carrying you which will likely affect performance. At the rate the jousting revival is going, maybe it'll be a respectable sport in 20 years and we'll have plenty of data to analyze it (just as likely it's a fad and it'll peter out)! But I expect most of the best jousters to approximate the physique of that 6'4'' 240 pound winner of the first season.

14 is not almost an adult, and she is a girl besides. She was apparently a good horse rider, but jousting is way more than just riding. It requires a lot of strength and coordination (see Mal's post above about how the best jousters are big guys), and in fact being the best jouster in the world is tantamount to being the best warrior. Is there any logical reason for Lyanna to be better at riding than three adult knights? No. Is she stronger than them? No. Is she more experienced? No. Is she the better warrior than these knights who have participated in numerous tourneys and trained all their lives to fight as mounted lancers? Absolutely not.

There's no way Lyanna could have pulled this off. Frankly, she'd be lucky to survive such an attempt. Jousts were dangerous for highly trained big men in full, specially made, extra-thick armor. A little girl in mismatched armor with no combat experience has a very high chance of dying by accident. And forget staying on her horse after getting hit by even a glancing blow.

I think it likely to be a cotf from the Isle of Faces. Given their longevity and forays into the human world the kotlt may have had several hundred years of jousting experience coming into Harrenhal. The mismatched armor is simply due to it being looted from the dead. Jaime did say that 90% of jousting was ridership which speaks to it possibly being Lyanna but Selmy says that jousting is mostly luck - a champion of one tourney may lose his horse in the first tilt of the next - and dismounting three knights with ease doesn't sound plausible for Lyanna.

Archived