Reviewing The Gift

Westeros

Following the airing of “The Gift”, we managed to get up the book-to-screen breakdown in our episode guide.

Since then, we’ve released two other parts of the guide. First up is our video review, which you can see below:

Last night, we also provided our written analysis of the episode, which touches some points that we didn’t cover in the video. You can find that here. The primary thing left is now our complete recap, which we’ll definitely do, but that particular part of our regular episode guide raises a question.

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

"It’s frightening to think that perhaps the further the writers get into making their own story, the sloppier they get. Is it because of exhaustion and having too much on their plate? Is it because, as they start to move more and more away from the books, they’re simply not up to the task of keeping track of so many small details? Is it just an anomaly and future episodes will be less filled with plot holes? It will be interesting to see what’s to come in the final three episodes of the season."

What's going on there? Seems in times past Byran Cogman was keeping the narrative 'corrected' , as much as he could.

I thought Dave Hill was doing the same?

They are packing two novels plus , plus invention, into 10 hours, maybe that just defeated them? I am surprised at this late date with as much experience as they have that season 5 has been going as side to side as the novels did.

I know the season is back loaded with lots of action and story , will have to see how it plays out.

Boojam,

I think that definitely they have too much in their plates. Back in S3 and S4 D&D were saying that they had difficulties to cover everything. In this season they have had the extra job of adapting two novels non-linearly, reducing a lot of storylines, and starting to deviate significantly from the source. It seems clear to me that the quality of their work has decreased, and I feel that part of the reason has to be their higher workload.

Of course that does not bode well for next season, when they will have no written basis for any scene and they'll have to deal with more severe cases of butterfly effects.

Archived