Could have Loras killed Gregor if he had a longsword, hammer, or mace to defend himself in the King's Hand Tournament?

mystickristoff

Gregor got the drop on an unexpecting Loras after their joust. Also Loras only had a lance & jousting shield, hardly ideal for the fight Gregor forced on him. BUT what if Loras' squire or whatever was able to quickly give Loras a longsword? Gregor would be there with a greatsword but now Loras has a longsword and a shield. If Robert doesnt attest and has them continue fighting, can the Knight of Flower survive The Mountain's rage?

Gregor got the drop on an unexpecting Loras after their joust. Also Loras only had a lance & jousting shield, hardly ideal for the fight Gregor forced on him. BUT what if Loras' squire or whatever was able to quickly give Loras a longsword? Gregor would be there with a greatsword but now Loras has a longsword and a shield. If Robert doesnt attest and has them continue fighting, can the Knight of Flower survive The Mountain's rage?

IMO if it's just Loras w/ longsword and shield vs Gregor w/ greatsword after the tourney he'd be able to defend himself well enough for a time but Gregor would eventually get the best of him. But that in it of itself is a major accomplishment, as BBE said, he is one of the top 100 currently alive. I think his brother would probably have a better chance though.

3:2 odds. The Mountain.

Loras has already shown that he's best at jousting and dexterity with a particular weakness against opponents who can overpower him or fight dirty. Loras can beat him, but he's going to have to fight the best fight of his life, and even he admits that there are those better than him with the sword.

Even on horseback, Loras felt he had to use a ruse in order to gain an advantage.

What's up with all those "could X beat Y" threads? Loras vs Gregor, Sam vs Thenns, the Brave Companions vs Jaime and Brienne, Jeor Mormont vs. the mutineers...

These are topics that require little to none of thought by the topic starter so they are easy to mass produce.

Also, I am going to be proponent of the lone plate armor once again. It'd beat both of them.

Probably I'd put the odds a bit more in Gregor's favour but Loras has a fair a shot as anyone at it.

Though shouldn't he have an axe or a mace seeing as he seems to be one of the few guys in Westeros smart enough to use them over a sword

Don't think so. The thing about matching the Mountain sword for sword is that you either need to be able to match him in strength like the Great Jon or the Hound or your skills need to be legendary like Jaime or Barristan. Loras is very skinny and doesn't have the strength to match. He is very skilled with the sword (I actually used to believe he wasn't and started a very long thread in the past about Loras vs Jon Snow) but he isn't in the same tier as Jaime or Barristan. He even admits that his brother Garlan is much better with a sword than him. I do think Garlan could match the Mountain though

Don't think so. The thing about matching the Mountain sword for sword is that you either need to be able to match him in strength like the Great Jon or the Hound or your skills need to be legendary like Jaime or Barristan. Loras is very skinny and doesn't have the strength to match. He is very skilled with the sword (I actually used to believe he wasn't and started a very long thread in the past about Loras vs Jon Snow) but he isn't in the same tier as Jaime or Barristan. He even admits that his brother Garlan is much better with a sword than him. I do think Garlan could match the Mountain though

Jaime estimates Loras to be his equal in talent and skill.

Gregor pounds Loras into a pile of giblets.

Hypothetical fights involving Gregor always have everyone assume he will just act like a 90s video game enemy, move like a slug, act stupidly, and basically let himself be killed. By contrast, his opponent will be a perfect ninja who avoids even being touched by Gregor despite his massively superior reach and tactical options, while poking his tiny gaps and never getting hit. His opponent also never gets their weapon stuck in the three suits of armor he wears under his plate. Or gets shoved or grabbed, despite thay being pretty much the rule in fights between plate armored men.

I have no idea why people assume this.

Archived