Did daenerys love drogo or daario

After reading a few threads I'm not too sure she was in love with either.

The relationship between a 14 year old girl and a man nearing 30 never settled right with me to begin with. But their one seemed more genuine than her one with daario. Her relationship with daario seems to be more hormonal and sex rather than actual feelings.

But also these quotes.

If I were not the blood of the dragon she thought wistfully, this could be my home. She was a khaleesi, she had a strong man and a swift horse, handmaids to serve her, warriors to keep her safe, an honored place in the dosh khaleen awaiting her when she grew old . . . and in her womb grew a son who would one day bestride the world. That should be enough for any women . . . but not for the dragon. With Viserys gone, Daenerys was the last, the very last. She was the seed of kings and conquerors, and so to the child inside her. She must not forget that

But with daario

If she had been some ordinary women, she would gladly have spent her whole life touching daario, tracing his scars and making him tell her how he'd come by everyone. I would give up my crown if he asked me.

So has she truly loved either of them?

She's a young girl. She has a very big crush but I wouldn't call it love.

Her relationship with drogo definitely had to a degree, Stockholm syndrome.

Her relationship as you say with daario is a sexual one, she was still going through "development" (as a 15 year old should). She has mistaken it for love, enamoured would be a better word. Plus at that time period she seemed very (may be inappropriate language but can't think of another word) horny.

So no I doubt she's been truly in love before.

I believe that she really loved Drogo, but they would have clashed over and over about his "lifestyle" if he had lived. It ended up being very good for her that he died (she wouldn't have dragons without his death either.)

Daario seems more like an infatuation to me, but I think she believes she's in love.

In both cases, it is truly hard to say because the parties don't start off as equals. Drogo basically bought her and held all of the power over her life, and she had to fight hard to stand toe to toe with him and get some respect. In Daario's case, she has the power, and he is her underling, who she can never marry.

She'll fall in love with someone who is her equal eventually, I reckon.

You would need to define love first and nobody is going to agree with those definitions anyways.

My opinion: Both and neither.

She desired both. She felt strongly about both. She wanted neither to come to harm.

She was not equal or friends with either.

If I had to choose which she was more in love with, I would say Drogo.

She definitely loved the Khal. She was willing to sacrifice so much to heal him

Technically she thought it was a horse she was sacrificing. Had she known rhaego would be the price it might have been a different outcome.

And she kind of had to heal him. Without him she'd be sent to the dosh khaleen and rhaego would have been killed. She needed the khalasar as well.

She's a young girl. She has a very big crush but I wouldn't call it love.

Her relationship with drogo definitely had to a degree, Stockholm syndrome.

Her relationship as you say with daario is a sexual one, she was still going through "development" (as a 15 year old should). She has mistaken it for love, enamoured would be a better word. Plus at that time period she seemed very (may be inappropriate language but can't think of another word) horny.

So no I doubt she's been truly in love before.

Given circumstances, given her age, I think she loves both men:

I think her response to Drogo is the opposite of Stockholm Syndrome, in that she benefits through her marriage to him:

Viserys treated her with contempt. The Dothraki respect her as khaleesi, and respect is something she never experienced before marrying Drogo.

Viserys ruled her. As khaleesi, she rules Viserys. She has real power, something she didn't have before marrying Drogo.

She associates the Dothraki Sea and the Dothraki travels with freedom. That she does says a lot about what life with Viserys must have been like.

She also loves Daario. She doesn't know the guy, and she's horny as hell, but as you say, she's 15. That's what love often looks like when you're 15.

Given circumstances, given her age, I think she loves both men:

I think her response to Drogo is the opposite of Stockholm Syndrome, in that she benefits through her marriage to him:

Viserys treated her with contempt. The Dothraki respect her as khaleesi, and respect is something she never experienced before marrying Drogo.

Viserys ruled her. As khaleesi, she rules Viserys. She has real power, something she didn't have before marrying Drogo.

She associates the Dothraki Sea and the Dothraki travels with freedom. That she does says a lot about what life with Viserys must have been like.

She also loves Daario. She doesn't know the guy, and she's horny as hell, but as you say, she's 15. That's what love often looks like when you're 15.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying she's doesn't have any feelings for them. But being a girl and being young she's exaggerated them. You'll find that with a lot of girls daenerys's age, they don't have a firm understanding of relationships in reality (due to a lot of stuff on media, admit it I was the same) and so they mistake infatuation as true love, with the idea he's the one.

So there is feelings but they've been completely exaggerated.

I think she grew to love Drogo out of respect and because of her situation and being so young she really just made the best of the situation.

Dany sleeps with Daario, but she is a (little bit) wiser now and at doesnt trust him. She likes Daario because he is the 'bad boy' and she also understands that his sellsords are very much needed because they are her only calvary.

I think she grew to love Drogo out of respect and because of her situation and being so young she really just made the best of the situation.

Dany sleeps with Daario, but she is a (little bit) wiser now and at doesnt trust him. She likes Daario because he is the 'bad boy' and she also understands that his sellsords are very much needed because they are her only calvary.

It goes beyond sex. She is, at least, very fond of Daario.

Her marriage to Drogo started out very creepy and borderline captivity - she certainly had no say in the matter. But it did grow into love, inexplicably or not (I think it's fairly understandable, given the situation). Drogo (for all his faults) respected her, and for the first time in her life, she experienced what it was like to have (some) control over her own destiny.

Daario... is more desire and infatuation than love, I would say. For both of them.

Here's Barristan's wisdom on the matter..

She loves Daario. He had seen it in her eyes when she looked at him, heard it in her voice when she spoke of him. .....

..... Daenerys Targaryen loved her captain, but that was the girl in her, not the queen. Prince Rhaegar loved his Lady Lyanna, and thousands died for it. Daemon Blackfyre loved the first Daenerys, and rose in rebellion when denied her. Bittersteel and Bloodraven both loved Shiera Seastar, and the Seven Kingdoms bled. The Prince of Dragonflies loved Jenny of Oldstones so much he cast aside a crown, and Westeros paid the bride price in corpses. All three of the sons of the fifth Aegon had wed for love, in defiance of their father’s wishes. And because that unlikely monarch had himself followed his heart when he chose his queen, he allowed his sons to have their way, making bitter enemies where he might have had fast friends. Treason and turmoil followed, as night follows day, ending at Summerhall in sorcery, fire, and grief.

Her love for Daario is poison. A slower poison than the locusts, but in the end as deadly.

He obviously thinks her love for Daario is genuine, it's just that he thinks rulers following their hearts and marrying for love is most often not a good thing. Still, he compares her love to the great love stories of Westeros.

It may have started with pure physical attraction , but it's become more than that.

I think it's become genuine for Daario, too. At various times he calls her "my queen" or by name (when they're alone) but in the last conversation we see between them, as he's going off to become a hostage, he calls her "beloved" .

I say she loved both, but of the two, her love for Daario has become the more mature love, although it's often characterized by book characters and readers alike, as infatuation. Daario would actually adapt to life in Westeros better than Drogo would have and I think he will turn out not to be as unsuitable as it seems.. That doesn't mean they won't remain star-crossed.

^ he also said rhaegar loved lyanna (unlikely, in a lot of versions of this event), he also said daemon and daenerys were in love (unlikely) and only 2 of aegons sons had Wed for love. The other didn't wed at all, he refused the marriage (or as olenna claims she refused) and spent his days fighting. So he was 100% wrong in telling us that three of his sons wed for love.

So...his claims might not be too accurate when it comes to love.

And an interesting note on that point (although I don't buy it myself) he was the one to tell us Elia and Rhaegar weren't in love. So he might be wrong as his other statements have been.

^ he also said rhaegar loved lyanna (unlikely, in a lot of versions of this event), he also said daemon and daenerys were in love (unlikely) and only 2 of aegons sons had Wed for love. The other didn't wed at all, he refused the marriage (or as olenna claims she refused) and spent his days fighting. So he was 100% wrong in telling us that three of his sons wed for love.

So...his claims might not be too accurate when it comes to love.

And an interesting note on that point (although I don't buy it myself) he was the one to tell us Elia and Rhaegar weren't in love. So he might be wrong as his other statements have been.

It is heavily implied that Daeron was gay, he turned down Olenna and stuck with his lover Ser Jeremy Norridge. Together they squashed the rebellion of the rat, the hawk and the pig, but they payed a heavy price for it. They died by each others side at the moment of their victory. That sounds like love to me, even though they were unable to wed under Westerosi law.

Archived