Upgrading to the 21st Century.

DreamSongs

I'm sure this has been covered at some point in time, but search is disabled on the forum right now.

I have finally made the decision to get rid of cable and transfer over to streaming. The only firm decision right now is to get a digital antenna for each of the TVs for local news and weather. What I am contemplating right now is the Kindle Firestick versus Roku or some other wireless device that I don't even know about. Right now, the Firestick is the front runner. The last reason for keeping cable came in April when HBO started offering the streaming app separate from having a cable package.

I have one smart TV (Samsung), a small TV with a single USB port, a Toshiba with Windows 8.0 (not a touch screen though), a Kindle Fire (first generation) and a smartphone with an android platform. I am planning on keeping my Comcast for internet access with one of the larger data packages for uninterrupted streaming and do not do any online gaming and its just me. What I would like to do is to be able to run music apps on the TV with a soundbar while I am on the computer.

I am open to any recommendations and advice. Thank you in advance!

bex

I have a roku, it works well, right now HBO is still apple only, barring strange work arounds I don't want to pay for or can't use. I've heard some of the steaming platforms lack a variety of channels, but roku seems to have a very good selection, certainly everything I wanted (that exists and that I know for) until the HBO thing, but I think that will change after the initial exclusive period is over.

The analog transfer or whatever it was (the bit about needing new televisions if one wished for reception) struck my corner of the country about a year later than the rest (something to do with contracts, if memory serves). Whatever.

Long and the short of it is, since then I have not had television reception at all. And while the first few weeks were a pain (it had been my long time habit to watch the evening news and there were one or two shows I watched on occasion) after that I didn't miss television at all. I get my news online. Once in a while I'll buy a DVD at Wal*Mart. The daughter gets Net-flicks online. I got other things to do.

That's my thinking, ThinkerX. I don't care for the major news networks, and am worn out on food competitions. After GOT goes off for the season, I can't think of any reason to turn the TV on unless I can't sleep. Downton Abbey is done and the only that sounds/looks interesting right now is Penny Dreadful.

I rather spend my money elsewhere.

I cut off my cable also and kept the internet, as I had no other option for internet.

I get all my news online and have Netflix. I'll be getting a digital antenna soon and have been looking into Roku or Chromecast. By the way, I hear that you get a better reception with a digital antenna than cable.

You don't realize how easily you can do without cable t.v. until you actually turn it off.

I have Chromecast and Amazon Fire TV. I use my Chromecast all the time. I never use the Amazon Fire because of the shitty performance. It's so bad I watch all my Amazon Prime videos through my xbox.

Also, if you want to enjoy a pain-free experience when streaming HD video, you should seriously consider upgrading your wireless infrastructure. Chances are, your ISP provided hardware just isn't up to the task. I have a Superhub2 from Virgin Media, which works okay as a modem, but sucks donkey balls as a router. Mine is set to 'modem mode', with all my wireless traffic handled by my TP-Link Archer C7 router. I had a bit of pain finding a stable wireless network adapter for my PC, but eventually struck gold with the Asus USB-AC56.

If you do upgrade your kit, make sure you get equipment that supports the 802.11 ac standard, which is basically the next-gen wifi standard. Since I did this, I've had no problem at all streaming huge 1080p files across my network.

I have Roku, and I really like it. It helps that there is an app that I installed on my Samsung Tablet that lets me use the tablet as a graphic remote control for the Roku. That way, I can have the TV on as "background noise" when I am using the tablet and it is a simple swipe and click to change the channel without ever putting the tablet down.

@SpockyDog,

I've got a Netgear wireless router and modem, but I've just been too lazy to take the old modem in and replace with the 'wireless gateway' they have been offering. Could you go into further detail about the FireStick issues? You are the only person that has said anything negative about it.

Now I remember why I wasn't looking at the Chromecast...you use your smartphone as the remote. Great for me, but not so great for my UnTech sister that occasionally spends the night. She'll need a remote or I'll lose my dog sitter.

eta: I'm going to have to install a more consistent security system on the computer. I tried watching Food Network's live stream last night from the website and the picture and sound were way off.

eta: @Summah. You're right. The new HBO app is HBO Now vs HBO Go. HBO Go requires the cable subscription whereas HBO Now is a streaming subscription. Apple does have exclusive rights to the HBO Now until July--they were given a 3 month exclusivity guarantee. I guess that means that the cable will stay until this season of GOT is over.

@SpockyDog,

I've got a Netgear wireless router and modem, but I've just been too lazy to take the old modem in and replace with the 'wireless gateway' they have been offering. Could you go into further detail about the FireStick issues? You are the only person that has said anything negative about it.

Stuttering playback, and audio slipping out of sync with the picture. I gave up trying to troubleshoot it ages ago because I'm able to play Amazon Prime videos through my xbox, and the picture is much, much better (Black Sails looked absolutely gorgeous on it...). For everything bar Amazon Prime (Plex, Netflix, Youtube, and streaming from my PC), I use the Chromecast.

I think I've made my mind up to go with the Roku 3, but I have a question. For channels like FX that have on-demand content (like AHS), do I still have to pay a fee per episode with their app?

Or is it just better to go with SlingTV?

Archived