Why is Davos' ship called Black Betha?

OmnomnomPomelo

I was always wondering why is Davos' ship called Black Betha.

Black Betha Blackwood was the wife of king Aegon "Egg" Targaryen.

Betha, Egg and many more died at Summerhall in 259. According to the wikia Davos was born in 260 or before, so he couldn't know the queen. Also we know nearly nothing about her, only that married Aegon for love, they had some children, and died at Summerhall, but nothing special. I mean if for example she would be a queen loved by the people of Westeros, then it'd be logical to name a ship after her.

Still Davos who was born or was like 2-3 years old when she died, named his ship after her?

I know it's not a big deal, but still makes me wonder.

Don't remember clearly, but this is what the wikia says:

"After his time aboard the Cobblecat, Davos made his own way and secured his own ship, the Black Betha,"

But yes, it's a possibility that he bought the ship and was named Black Betha already.

It was part of the royal fleet, not Davos's personal ship. that wikia is incorrect.

Out on the river, Bold Wind unshipped her oars and glided downstream in the wake of Seaswift. Last came King Robert’s Hammer, the might of the royal fleet... or at least that portion that had not fled to Dragonstone last year with Stannis.

Also, I don't think we have been told anything about Betha in connection to Summerhall. She could have died long before it, she could have not attended, she could have attended and survived, she could have attended and died, but I don't think we have been told either way. If she was still alive at Summerhall, she would have been married to Egg for nearly forty years, and his queen a little over two and a half decades. Perhaps she has a good reputation and memory in the south.

Doesn't Davos say that Stannis gave him a ship or something like that?

Yes but I don't know that was literally like, "here, its a gift" or if it was like, "here, captain this ship for me".

Mel asked to make a shadow baby with Davos. Only does that with people of kingsblood.

That is a bit odd isn't it. Maybe the shadow baby stuff isn't strictly kings blood related?

That is a bit odd isn't it. Maybe the shadow baby stuff isn't strictly kings blood related?

I think it requires exceptional people, Davos is incredibly competent at smuggling and being hand, learned to read at forty years old and and is unshakably loyal to Stannis. That kind of man doesn't come often.

The only other dudes(that we know of) who she's tried to get with are Stannis and Jon and neither of them are common men. So less kingsblood and more badass blood.

Doesn't matter. Black Betha is as much part of the Royal Fleet as the other ships with commanders named Seaworth.

So are you saying any ship Davos owns belongs to Stannis?

Like a lord can't operate a merchant fleet of his own?

So are you saying any ship Davos owns belongs to Stannis?

Like a lord can't operate a merchant fleet of his own?

Of course Davos could.

But Black Betha was a warship of the Royal Fleet, under Stannis' command. So were Wraith and Lady Marya, captained by his two eldest sons. They are (literally) ships of the line and paid for by the Iron Throne.

It could have been foreshadowing of Stannis' and the war. The Blackwoods and he Brackens have been fighting each other forever and they have basically kept each other from becoming more powerful while the other houses in the Riverlands have become more powerful the same way everyone is fighting in the war of the five kings. Everyone is getting weaker as the Others get stronger.
Or it could just be a ship named after a queen and an ancestor of King Robert.

Yes but I don't know that was literally like, "here, its a gift" or if it was like, "here, captain this ship for me".

Or maybe someone born in the shadow of the Red Keep is not who he seems. Or knows. I like the theory he is son of Duncan Prince of Dragonflies and his wife Jenny of Oldstones. Left maybe with her mother the Ghost of High Heart before going to Summerhall maybe. Total tinfoil conjecture. But fun to think about.

If that was true, he is heir to the Iron Throne. Just because he abdicated doesn't mean his children lose claim.

Archived