What are you drinking in this weather?

Fragile Bird

In no surprise, I also adhere to the definition (or, really, general guidelines) offered up by Mr. X. Session beers are defined by their overall drinkability. I've certainly had session DIPAs or TIPAs (deliciously dangerous!), and I've had saisons and milds that were most certainly one-and-done. If that angers some people, then so be it.

And agreed with the chef: I have yet to have a "session IPA" (a beer specifically brewed to be such) that I rated more than "tolerable."

Maybe I'll go see what Garrett Oliver has to say about it - was that in an interview or what, Mr X?

I'm not sure where that was. I can try to look around and find it. Probably an interview, though he has done a lot of short print/web articles for various media outlets over here.

Now that I come to think about it, I can't really come up with a session IPA that was all that good. Some of them are tolerable, Brew By Numbers here in London do some (varying hops) which are alright but yeah I'm NBA* by any of them. You guys are so right. :love: Snuggly Friday feelings for my beer buddies. Jesus, I wish this virus would just fuck off so that I could actually drink beer and truly taste it properly.

*NBA is standard dismissal of any beer which is not a 5/5 beer. Not blown away. Last night on some shitty reality TV show a guy said that a meal someone cooked did not capture him. Think I might start saying that instead as it's silly and obnoxious. :)

Can't seem to find a primary source, but here is a blog post from Stan Hieronymus that references Oliver saying something similar to what I remember as his definition of drinkability:

Several years ago Brooklyn Brewery’s Garrett Oliver put forward a “Four-Pint Principle” to other brewers.

Oliver explained he means “that I want the customer to WANT to have four pints of this beer.” Circumstances may dictate otherwise but he or she should want to continue drinking that beer.

ETA: Two more references:

More than anything though, Oliver strives for what he calls "the four pint principle." It's simple: "If you don't want four pints, then I feel like there's something that you haven't really understood about the way the beer is supposed to be," he explains.

Who or what has been the biggest influence on your brewing philosophy?

Garrett: The British pub. At the pub, you want a really great beer that you can stick with as you talk to your friends for hours on end. From that, I derived one of the things I’m best known for among brewers, which I call “The Four Pint Principle”—when people taste your beer, they ought to want four pints.

I would love the opportunity to drink four pints of pliny.

Had I known the scarcity of human cannonball I would not have stopped at the two I had while in Baltimore last month.

As I adore hops both resinous and fruity almost all ipas are easily sessionable to me.

I can happily enjoy a sixer of fresh squeezed, bells two hearted, sculpin or 60 minute about any day of the week.

On the subject of habanero sculpin. I did not like the raw green chili element it had. When in San Diego I might try it again if it is fresh on tap for comparison.

The hardywood great return cask we had made for us withis habanero and honey in it was really nice. A pint of it went down rather easily.

We argued about the Habanero. I took one sip and was done. Chris kept sipping it, going, 'honestly, it does get better if you keep drinking it'. I was all, 'why did they ruin Sculpin with this heat?' There were a couple of comments round the table about this being a great way of releasing a less than perfect batch of Sculpin LOL.

Thanks, Mr X. Great stuff for my blog post. I'll credit you. :)

And now...it's beer o'clock.

OT: I'm enjoying the ultimate train beer, Bloody 'Ell from Beavertown. It's a blood orange IPA. A seasonal brew while the blood oranges last. It's the very definition of drinkable, yet my tongue is tingling from the hops. I bought five cans but I think one is enough for the ride home. If you guys spot it in cans or on keg grab it.

Trying out the Duke of Edinburgh in Brixton for a few afternoon pints and the beer garden is insane. Next level stuff. Highly recommend it. The rest of the place ain't bad either, all wooden panels and bit red velvet curtains. Classic south london

OT: I'm enjoying the ultimate train beer, Bloody 'Ell from Beavertown. It's a blood orange IPA. A seasonal brew while the blood oranges last. It's the very definition of drinkable, yet my tongue is tingling from the hops. I bought five cans but I think one is enough for the ride home. If you guys spot it in cans or on keg grab it.

I enjoyed some in Baltimore over MDF along with Human Cannonball and Pic Tor from Buxton. Something from Weird Beard and a few other Brit collabs as well. Logged in my Untappd.

Cannot wait for LA/San Diego next week! All that lovely beer.

An Alvinne Sigma dark sour. Picked for the warm weather that sadly disappeared quickly in the rain.

thinking about opening a Zundert trappist next.

I would love the opportunity to drink four pints of pliny.

Had I known the scarcity of human cannonball I would not have stopped at the two I had while in Baltimore last month.

As I adore hops both resinous and fruity almost all ipas are easily sessionable to me.

I can happily enjoy a sixer of fresh squeezed, bells two hearted, sculpin or 60 minute about any day of the week.

On the subject of habanero sculpin. I did not like the raw green chili element it had. When in San Diego I might try it again if it is fresh on tap for comparison.

The hardywood great return cask we had made for us withis habanero and honey in it was really nice. A pint of it went down rather easily.

This slowly become my favorite widely available beer for all occasions. Had a sixer on the porch last night and it was pretty divine.

well its a cold night for us here so we've just finished a nice bottle of red (Taylor's Promised Land Cabernet Merlot 2007)

ETA for Theda - not ALL the wine - there 's a bit of a stockpile :p

well its a cold night for us here so we've just finished a nice bottle of red (Taylor's Promised Land Cabernet Merlot 2007)

ETA for Theda - not ALL the wine - there 's a bit of a stockpile :P

:thumbsup:

Sounds like a great choice, my friend! =o)

Me, I'm having coffee.

The local appears to be doing Norwegian beers tonight? Of 22 beers on tap, we have 5 Nogne beers, 2 Haandbryggeriets, 1 Lervig, 1 Aegir, and 1 Lervig. (Lest I sound more worldly than I am, I've never heard of any of these.) Drinking a Nogne #500 Imperial IPA now, not bad.

Archived