Exercise and Fitness - The day you started lifting, is the day you became forever small...

Jabronius Maximus

I'm still doing well, staying on schedule, my burpees, pushups, jump lunges, and side planks have improved. But it's such a chore! I'm so bored with it! I really need something new.

Strange sensation in hip flexor, could just be due to insufficient warm-ups:

I've always been really careful about injuries, not pushing myself when I feel pain. I've never trained under a coach so it's always been my own motivation.

Sometimes I feel something weird - not exactly a pain - but like a tugging, straining sensation in my hip flexor area. I'm not sure which muscle it is where I'm feeling it, could be the Iliopsoas, the pectineus, or the adductor longus. (I'm guessing these by anatomy illustrations.) It goes away if I stop briefly and stretch and shake it out, but then it comes back. This happens during squats and lunges. I'm not sure if it's anything I need to be concerned about.

Went out for a run yesterday - 8,6km at a bit under 5 minutes per km in 34ºC weather (checked on my phone after I finished so the temperature was probably even higher while I was running) and then half an hour of easy rowing on the machine.

Sweat was literally dripping from my body and I had to wring my all in one dry.

Had I taken it out of the bucket of water it wouldn't be any more wet.

Today we had 39ºC weather which really didn't feel good.

Thankfully, the forecast says it will be significantly less hot tomorrow (30ºC) so we can workout in relatively normal conditions.

Played softball last night, only a single game, but went 3/3 with TWO triples and made some good defensive plays. Before this year I've hit maybe a handful of triples my entire career, this year alone I've hit 6 and two inside the park home runs. Came home after and felt so good that I did a quick set of chest and back before showering, eating a small meal, and heading to bed.

And today my legs are SORE :) Took two 30 min walks this morning to try and loosen them up, but really all I need is a night in and some rest.

So I played archery tag this weekend for a friend's birthday. (I guess it's like dodgeball with bows and arrow--the arrows are tipped with a cushion that looks like a marshmallow).

2 hours. Five minute rounds.

I was covered in sweat by the end. The bows weren't like hunting bows, but neither were they a super-easy draw. Combine that with all the squatting, running, jumping, and rolling, and I was a very sore, very happy camper by the end of the session. My back, trapezius, butt, and thighs were still sore like 3 days later!

Really awesome workout. Really a ton of fun.

Sidenote: Randy Henderson, author of Finn Fancy Necromancy, was part of the group!

Late night workout last night. I'm glad I did it but I'm crazy to mess with my sleep the way I do.

I did a fast two mile run and then chest press, cable rows, pull-ups and biceps. Usual weights and numbers for all. I was slowing down between sets from sheer sleepiness toward the end.

I have some slight stiffness in the center of my back. All of my workouts include at least one of rowing 5k, cable rows, pull-ups, pull-downs or pull-ups. It's hard to completely skip a back exercise but I need to make sure I don't strain that area. I was think of rowing & leg weights tonight but I may need a rest day.

Friday was a good rest day because the soreness in my back lasted all day but eased up Saturday.

So Saturday night was rowing & leg weights. Good workout, although leg press and leg lift are not a challenge at all. It feels like a top-up workout until I do squats again.

I've messed up my sleep pattern again though.

I tried to do an easy 5-miler today and crapped out at the 3 mile point. So frustrating. Having to take a month off really put my running endurance in the crapper. Anyway, I finished the route by walking and I biked rather than drove over to the park, so at least I still got some activity out of it. I'm not planning on doing any races anytime soon, but it would nice to be able to do a nice long run on the weekends without half dying!

So, workout not too crazy I sprinted up Mt. McKinley this morning, and did pretty good time on it, about 11 minutes, which shaved .45952 seconds off my last time. Got a power level increase for that. Then I juggled 5 chainsaws at the top and pushed a boulder down the other side while wearing a couple of 50-lb. turtle shells. Upped my health level bar and finished off with a 10-lap swim with sharks. Had a light breakfast of two manatees and a bit of salad and...I couldn't help myself, a BITE of hummingbird pancreas (I have such a sweet tooth lol)

Think I may have really hurt myself last night at softball.  Hoping it's just a muscle strain, but it's basically surrounding my knee, so I'm worried.  Iced it last night and this morning, and have been doing stretches to try and keep it loose.  Will try to take a couple of short walks today as well.

Anyone know of any good HIIT sessions that one can do w/out much leg work?

Aceluby - sorry to hear that.  Your muscles and your knee have very distinct locations -- you should be able to tell if the soreness is in a muscle or in the joint.  Also, quad strains are unusual; calf cramps, hamstrings, groin and abductor strains are the most likely muscle injuries, and none could be confused with knee soreness.  If you feel any sharp pain or instability on side-to-side movement of the joint (imagine skiing) then I would suggest you might want get a scan to check for a small tear to your MCL or (god forbid) your ACL.  Any joint soreness is probably just tendonitis or minor inflammation or even a slight ligament strain without tearing, but don't risk letting a ligament tear go untreated.  Hopefully it's nothing like that.  Tendonitis or inflammation will be fine in a couple of days of RICE and anti-inflammatories.  A ligament strain would need 2-3 weeks of same.  Ligament tears need surgery and rehab.  Good luck.

Monday night was another good workout for me with running and upper body weights: shoulder press, wide lat pull down and upright row.  During my run my left calf had some tightness and pain that signals incipient cramp, and I realized that I drank hardly any water all day, but I persevered and thankfully was able to finish the run at my usual speed without triggering a full-on cramp.  Weights all went really well.

I'm feeling pretty fit and strong at the moment, if I could just exercise a bit earlier and finish by 11:00pm instead of starting then.  Tuesday was a rest day and then Wednesday was an additional rest day to try to regain some semblance of a sleep schedule.

Hopefully tonight will be rowing + leg weights including squats.  My last rowing session had me sweating so much that my eyes were closed throughout the 5th kilometer with just an occasional blurry squint to make sure my pace was on track.  It was a humid day but not as bad as it can be here so I may need a sweat band for my head because my hands aren't free to wipe sweat before it pours into my eyes.

Nope, no sharp pain or instability on side to side motions.  I was also able to finish the game last night without any issue and there isn't any swelling.  I'll see how it feels through the weekend and if it doesn't get better, go in to see a dr next week.  Hopefully it becomes not necessary, because my insurance sucks and spending a few hundred (or thousand for a scan) bucks on a dr visit doesn't sound fun.

Pretty much pain free today!  Woohoo!  Felt like muscle soreness, like how you feel doing squats for the first time in months, it was just weirdly around my knee.  Did a bit of HIIT cardio this morning as well to start my new morning workout regimen.  Feeling good and feel like I have the power to change what I want to.

I've had far more experience with knee injuries than I'd like and it's never felt like a muscle strain. So, yeah, I'd say you're probably fine.

I've been a bit disappointed with the fitness returns I've had from doing some running going into preseason for rugby. It sort of felt like my legs were giving out before I was getting to the point were I was improving my fitness.

Having got some proper running shoes and stuck with it though it does finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. I was able to get through my run tonight at a decent pace, I added an extra kilometer or so on the fly because I was feeling good rather than trudging round and still felt strong enough to finish with a bit of a sprint. I'm pretty pleased with that actually.

Even better playing touch at training last night I stepped the first team scrumhalf and did him for pace over 20 yards which was pretty entertaining.

I am doing a 5k mud run today!  I haven't done an obstacle since  I was in the army over 20 years ago...and never voluntarily :lol:  they also weren't deliberately muddy :)   On the downside, today will be very hot and humid, one of the hottest weekends so far this year...95 (35C)  today with a heat index of 100 (37C)  my run starts at 10 and should be just over an hour long so it won't be that hot, but damn, the humidity will suck big time

I also haven't trained any where near as much as i wanted to, but this is supposed to be for all levels and at least I am not at slug level so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.  

I am very excited though!  This is another item from my bucket list.

Good luck!

Thanks.   It was pretty amazing.  I ran nearly the whole 3 miles (5k) did all the obstacles at the hardest level, got a bit stuck at the top of the 8ft wall :lol:  but the nice friendly ladies helped me out :).  None of the others gave me any problems.

My son took some mostly unflattering pictures of me, but I love them (and now I know how all that mud got inside the sports bra :P )

I am feeling so good about this though.  I want to work now on getting that upper body strength up and doing another (My son wants to do one too...YAY!)

Oh, and I finished in about 50 minutes.  I didn't think I could even do the 5k in that time :P

Great work Lany.

I worked out this morning after four lazy days off (for no good reason). It was so hot and humid that sweat was coursing off me during my run but I still finished the second mile at 12mph. Weights all went really well. I added an extra set of pull ups and chest press just to be masochistic.

I've asked about turning up the AC in the gym but no dice. On the plus side I think maintaining my cardio in this humidity adds an extra edge. I've been backsliding in recent weeks on brownies and ice cream but still look just as cut. I assume it's because the humidity is sweating more out of me.

Hopefully rowing and leg weights tomorrow. I skipped those during my lazy few days.

Archived