Exercise and Fitness - The day you started lifting, is the day you became forever small...

Jabronius Maximus

Wheee, I had a great race this weekend! The course was amazing--mostly flat, except for a nice big downhill at mile 10 or so. The finish line was lower than the start, so I didn't have to run UP a big hill. All my training paid off, because I came in at 1:56:24, a PR for me and beating my goal is 2 hours. Yay :) Feeling pretty good today, just a very stiff hip (I've been having problems with this hip for years now, but it's never anything bad enough for me to do anything about besides grouse and take ibuprofen and try to foam roll every once in a while), some sore calves, and a twinge acting up in my knee. Going to to take it easy for the rest of the week, maybe do some yoga and get some nice long walks in.

Thinking about running a 10k race on July 4 and then taking it easy for a while. Probably going to run another half next March, which will give me a nice amount of time to rest and focus on some other exercises before getting into training again. Also trying to slim down, as my diet carelessness packed on a few pounds over the last month. Which means back to wearing my Fitbit and counting calories. No fun but it is the only thing I have found to work for me.

Today was definitely the best run I've ever done. ...

Great job!

If you loved running in that weather, there's no stopping you now! :thumbsup:

Wheee, I had a great race this weekend!

All my training paid off, because I came in at 1:56:24, a PR for me and beating my goal is 2 hours. Yay :)

Congratulations on your great result!

Congratulations Starkess!

Leap - there's something oddly satisfying about exercising in truly atrocious conditions. I get it for both rowing and rugby - you almost pass through being miserable and into acceptance and then it becomes a man vs nature challenge - "Yes, it's shit; yes, I'm cold; yes, I'm soaked; but is that all you have?"

First of our big races is next weekend. Predicted 24C and clear skies. Going to be thirsty work.

Congrats Leap and Nora.

I have fond memories of soccer games in hellish conditions. They definitely stand out in memory.

A good workout happened last night but not sleep. This is going to be a tough week. Some combo of post-workout energy and stress kept me wide awake. Melatonin didn't even help.

@Leap

Do you wear undershorts? I always wear them for rugby - they prevent both unfortunate crack incidents and my short legs riding up in the middle and exposing pale expanses of inner thigh. They're also usually seamless and so eliminate todger chafage.

Force 5-6 last night and a fair bit of chop. Filthy conditions but we managed a quick hop across the bay and then worked on a few technique drills in the harbour. Finished up with some novice coaching. Good session.

Weighed myself and I'm down to 118kg. Still a bit higher than I wanted - I was aiming for 115kg before the race (next week) - but better than no progress!

So I'm doing week 5 of the program. Today I started with a brisk 5 minute walk followed by three quarters of a mile or eight minutes, walk for a half mile and finishing up with another three quarters. I did way better than I thought I could. I finished the eight minutes both times without stopping and I barely got a stitch. And I think I was close to breaking through the wall.

Trying to fight off the depression that managed to sneak back in when I got sick and couldn't work out.

Karate class last night, and started a yoga class tonight. It was not what I wanted, but I will try a different class either next week or the week after. (most of their classes are "hot yoga" and I didn't want to do that, so I am limited in my choices (I have a groupon for this place, and it is above my gym, so convient too)

So today was twenty minutes of running or two miles which I wasn't able to complete. I was able to do a shade over ten. I'm disappointed I couldn't do it but I ran the mile in about nine minutes. And I noticed that when I was running my hardest it was actually easier to breathe.

Congrats Leap and Nora.

I have fond memories of soccer games in hellish conditions. They definitely stand out in memory.

A good workout happened last night but not sleep. This is going to be a tough week. Some combo of post-workout energy and stress kept me wide awake. Melatonin didn't even help.

Melatonin never worked for me either. Get Kava extract. Gaia makes a really good kava that can be found at like a Whole Foods or whatever. Drift off gently to sleep then have the best dreams ever.

Anyone have tips on knee probs? Mine have been getting a little sore (especially walking down stairs) since I switched from an 80/20 to a 20/80 resistance/cardio routine.

Melatonin never worked for me either. Get Kava extract. Gaia makes a really good kava that can be found at like a Whole Foods or whatever. Drift off gently to sleep then have the best dreams ever.

Anyone have tips on knee probs? Mine have been getting a little sore (especially walking down stairs) since I switched from an 80/20 to a 20/80 resistance/cardio routine.

Sounds like you are doing something your body isn't ready for. No matter how often people here claim that running is just cardio it isn't true. You can't do long runs without building up the necessary leg muscle. And that takes time. The trick is to ramp it up gradually.

finally did a full week of cycling to work every day (150 mile a week), after flirting with 2 or 3 days a week for the last month or so. and now my bike has had to go in for repairs and i won't get it back until wednesday. i had banked on a full week so i could put in a hard weekend of heavy drinking.

Won Wales Strongest Man Under 105kg today. Officially broken!

Got a cool trophy though...

Now you just need to color your hair blonde and you're all set for Halloween!!

Congrats again, amazing accomplishment man!

Archived