Fictional Fashion

MinDonner

After seeing this article today as well as Isis's comment about the costumes in Dracula, I thought this might be a cool topic. What outfits from films/TV do you crave or despise? Here are a few off the top of my head:

Talia's suit from B5. Not thrilled about the colour but the cut is fantastic. B5 did really well overall with the thought put into the costume design, not just the ubiquitous jumpsuits from Star Trek.

Sansa's That Dress, natch.

This probably makes me a bad feminist, but I still rather like Dr Mrs The Monarch's outfit

And of course for the simple but classic badass look, you can't go wrong with Linda Hamilton in T2

Conversely, in the "yuck" column, much as I <3 Tilda Swinton, that dress out of Narnia was fucking horrible.

Bit stumped for any more for now, so take it away!

If you have been watching Season 5 GoT, I much preferred

her wedding dress

https://40.media.tumblr.com/6069d2df3ea573f197d9b9b343b8c903/tumblr_non97oqf1e1snp1k3o1_500.jpg

To the one you linked.

I love pretty much anything from Downton Abbey, the dresses all look gorgeous!

Yvaine's dress from Stardust https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/42/14/db/4214dbe62a6ec3831b6d7aec0e35302e.jpg'>https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/42/14/db/4214dbe62a6ec3831b6d7aec0e35302e.jpgLove it, though I think maybe a different colour would be nicer for me.

Oh, I am so jazzed about this topic. Thank you, Min!! I was one of the admirers of the Dracula costumes, although I dig Oldman's togs more than Mina's. Here are some of my favorite movies as well as some I abhor. Also, please forgive the classic movies - I'm a huge fan, and always notice the wardrobes in these as well.

Here are the ones I just hate.

• Debra Messing's wardrobe in The Wedding Date. Someone really hated her. This movie wardrobe has bugged me for ten years.
  • Aeon Flux - I don't hate it, but it seemed to translate poorly on screen. Theron's hair and clothes really got in the way of the story, imo. They were so obviously futuristic, and I felt like the harsh colors were too stark.
  • Sabrina - remake with Julia Ormond. Ugh, ugh, ugh. Just bad. Everyone in it has to endure bad clothing.
  • Raintree County - with Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift - this movie looks like Gone with the Wind threw up - the Walmart version. See example here.

Oh, I am so jazzed about this topic. Thank you, Min!! I was one of the admirers of the Dracula costumes, although I dig Oldman's togs more than Mina's. Here are some of my favorite movies as well as some I abhor. Also, please forgive the classic movies - I'm a huge fan, and always notice the wardrobes in these as well.

Here are the ones I just hate.

• Debra Messing's wardrobe in The Wedding Date. Someone really hated her. This movie wardrobe has bugged me for ten years.
  • Aeon Flux - I don't hate it, but it seemed to translate poorly on screen. Theron's hair and clothes really got in the way of the story, imo. They were so obviously futuristic, and I felt like the harsh colors were too stark.
  • Sabrina - remake with Julia Ormond. Ugh, ugh, ugh. Just bad. Everyone in it has to endure bad clothing.
  • Raintree County - with Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift - this movie looks like Gone with the Wind threw up - the Walmart version. See example here.
How could I forget Chicago!

I also really like Christine's dresses in the Phantom of the Opera (the most recent film version)

As a guy, I just adore Mads Mikkelsen's suits on Hannibal.

Ben Foster has a great jacket in 3:10 to Yuma

I'll agree with Ramsay Blow that Ben Mendelsohn's fur coat was amazing :) Here is an interview about it :)

Bane's coat from tDKR was also great :)

Brando's vest in The Wild One is also a great look :)

Travolta in Saturday Night fever. Totally kitschy but I'd love to own it :P

Jaime's costumes on Outlander :) Can't beat a good kilt

Oh yes, Chicago! I tried to find Zeta Jones looking amazing in Zorro too, but her costumes turn out to not be that special, it's just my massive girl-crush playing up. :D

Forgot this one: from The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover - Helen Mirren fucking kills it.

As a guy, I just adore Mads Mikkelsen's suits on Hannibal.

My first thought.

Ryan Gosling's jacket in Drive, even though it's not humanly possible for anyone to make that look work in real life, even Ryan Gosling. Although looking for that image to link does tell me that Gosling does go in for some truly spectacular jackets and coats even when he's not acting.

That scarf/coat combo in Sherlock.

OMG - The Craft. How could I have forgotten that movie? Awesome goth/witchy fashion.

I love how they dress the older white witch and contrast it with the dark, troubled youngsters.

I second this.

I just wished I found a better picture, that one doesn't really do the jacket justice :(

But honestly, deep down inside I kinda wish I could dress like this everyday.

The guyliner would be kind of annoying I suspect :)

Archived