The purpose of Ice Spiders is...

Daendrew

But the Wall is more than just a large and high obstruction. It's also wired with magic to keep things Norht of it. Coldhands couldn't pass for example, even though he obviously was a brother of the Night's Watch. The question would be whether Ice Spiders fall in the same category as Others and wights that could not pass the Wall because of magic, unless someone let's them in (as happened with the 2 wights that attacked LC Mormont and Jon).

But the Wall is more than just a large and high obstruction. It's also wired with magic to keep things Norht of it. Coldhands couldn't pass for example, even though he obviously was a brother of the Night's Watch. The question would be whether Ice Spiders fall in the same category as Others and wights that could not pass the Wall because of magic, unless someone let's them in (as happened with the 2 wights that attacked LC Mormont and Jon).

Spiders can also jump ridiculously high.

My question is, are they still out there or are they creatures that only existed long ago?

If they still exist, why haven't the Others used them all these years? Unless like some feel, they can't be utilized until the magic in the wall is broken or disrupted.

I doubt that you can simply multiply the height they can jump with the same factor as their size (they are X times larger and can therefore jump X times as high), physics do not really allow that...

... Plus, it would look ridicoulus.

They might exist in the books but doubt you will ever see them on screen. The whole climbing the wall thing is something I thought of recently too but disregarded after I thought about the magic protecting the wall.

However, should the wall be brought down or be passed in other ways via sea or Bridge of skulls then the Ice Spiders would be the ideal foil for storming fortresses.

They might exist in the books but doubt you will ever see them on screen. The whole climbing the wall thing is something I thought of recently too but disregarded after I thought about the magic protecting the wall.

However, should the wall be brought down or be passed in other ways via sea or Bridge of skulls then the Ice Spiders would be the ideal foil for storming fortresses.

Magic prevents The Others. They may be non-others but regular creatures that live beyond the wall. GRRM wrote about ice lizards etc in The Ice Dragon.

I doubt that you can simply multiply the height they can jump with the same factor as their size (they are X times larger and can therefore jump X times as high), physics do not really allow that...

... Plus, it would look ridicoulus.

Exactly.

Let's say an ice spider is 5 feet high. That's probably about 100 times higher than a real jumping spider, which would make it 100 times longer and 100 times wider as well. Which means it would be 100*100*100 = one million times heavier than a real jumping spider, but with only 100 times the jumping ability.

And we haven't even taken into consideration that the ice spiders may not be large versions of jumping spiders. They may well be more akin to non-jumping types of spiders.

AFAIK, the idea that the entire wall is a magic barrier is still speculation. We know Coldhands couldn't pass through the tunnel, but we also know the wights could not enter the cave where BR is. That doesn't mean they can't travel the ground above it. We can assume the wall was built with magic, but I don't see the point in making it 700 feet high if it's a magic barrier.

Heh?@ Mayby to strengthen it, ir make sure that the Others can not simply jump over it. I don't really know but it could probably not hurt to have a physical barrier as well as a magical one, if nothing else because then the nights watch at least knows where to patrol...

Exactly.

Let's say an ice spider is 5 feet high. That's probably about 100 times higher than a real jumping spider, which would make it 100 times longer and 100 times wider as well. Which means it would be 100*100*100 = one million times heavier than a real jumping spider, but with only 100 times the jumping ability.

And we haven't even taken into consideration that the ice spiders may not be large versions of jumping spiders. They may well be more akin to non-jumping types of spiders.

Exactly... Imagine an elephant all of a sudden jumping 25x its height. LOL. Hell, even the big spiders in our world like tarantula's and bird spiders can't jump 25x their own height.

Archived