Watch, Watched, Watching: Witness Me!

Nictarion

Because it's been recommended so much in various incarnations of this thread I watched the first episode of Penny Dreadful. I thought it seemed like a good start, I liked Eva Green and Timothy Dalton in it.

Because it's been recommended so much in various incarnations of this thread I watched the first episode of Penny Dreadful. I thought it seemed like a good start, I liked Eva Green and Timothy Dalton in it.

Yesss!!!! I hope you enjoy it all. I absolutely LOVED Season 1 and think it showed a few moments of greatness, but I honestly think season 2 has been even BETTER and every single episode is well written, well directed, GORGEOUS, well acted and all around fantastic!!!!

I agree that season 2 of Penny Dreadful has been pretty awesome and they definitely got an upgrade in the villain department!

The main villain in season 1 didn't even have any speaking lines. :p

Also, I'm going to see Spy tonight at the movies, and will probably watch this silly B-Horror movie on Netflix called Zombeavers after I get home. :D

Fixed that one for you Red :p

To answer your question, I do try to watch any film with great reviews. Sometimes I hate it (e.g. L'inconny du lac), more often than not I love them :)

Yup, I basically watch any new movies on Itunes(usually in the Indie section)or On Demand with decent reviews too. It is definitely hit or miss but, oh well.

Yup, I basically watch any new movies on Itunes(usually in the Indie section)or On Demand with decent reviews too. It is definitely hit or miss but, oh well.

I usually rely on a combination of Metacritic, the reviews of rogerebert.com, the Guardian, my local newspaper, the IMDB-score and various youtube reviewers (Stuckmann, Jahns, etc.). One of the advantages of getting most films later than the USA is the wealth of reviews. Amongst new releases, I hardly ever see a really bad movie anymore to be honest. Perhaps the fact that 2014 was a really great year for movies skews my perception a little bit. Like I saw 36 movies made in 2014 and really only three of those I would describe as aggressively bad. All the others went from watchable with my brain turned of to instant classics.

Wanted to get my Australian post apocalyptic fix and going to see Mad Max again seems a bit over the top so I re-watched The Rover though they're entirely different types of films.

I know it got mixed reviews but I still really like it. The acting is superb and the atmosphere it top notch. Its got a good amount of background world building too.

Pearce's speech to the mercenary about murdering his wife is chilling and one of the reasons why his presence boosts any film higher up on my "to watch list", man's a great actor.

Plus they do something that the lack of annoys me in so many films. When Eric has the brother's two friends at gunpoint the moment Rey stops responding he shoots them on the spot. No "stay put while I investigate" or getting distracted and blindsided. Shows the sort of ruthlessness that's kept him alive for so long

I usually rely on a combination of Metacritic, the reviews of rogerebert.com, the Guardian, my local newspaper, the IMDB-score and various youtube reviewers (Stuckmann, Jahns, etc.).

Jahns is saying that Entourage is just as good as Mad Max right now....suspicious.

Jahns is saying that Entourage is just as good as Mad Max right now....suspicious.

Yeah, Jahns sometimes has these dudebro opinions seeping through. Luckily all the other reviewers say that Entourage is trash, so his is just an excentric opinion I guess :p

Yeah he definetely does, I love his reviews though. https://youtu.be/pha0Gvk-R7Y?t=193

Yeah, he is always entertaining to watch, even if I disagree with him. I like him and Stuckmann because they are somewhat in between the other critic reviews I read and the IMDB score. They are usually not as tough on a film as the critics, but they aren't as easy to wow as the majority of IMDB voters.

Wanted to get my Australian post apocalyptic fix and going to see Mad Max again seems a bit over the top so I re-watched The Rover though they're entirely different types of films.

I know it got mixed reviews but I still really like it. The acting is superb and the atmosphere it top notch. Its got a good amount of background world building too.

Pearce's speech to the mercenary about murdering his wife is chilling and one of the reasons why his presence boosts any film higher up on my "to watch list", man's a great actor.

Plus they do something that the lack of annoys me in so many films. When Eric has the brother's two friends at gunpoint the moment Rey stops responding he shoots them on the spot. No "stay put while I investigate" or getting distracted and blindsided. Shows the sort of ruthlessness that's kept him alive for so long

I've got to do a re-watch of The Rover. The writer/director of this, David Michod, also did Animal Kingdom which is one of my all-time favorites so I was a little too hyped up I think. It was good as I remember but dragged some at times. Guy Pearce is wonderful too, he's always good no matter what it is.

Spy was excellent. I don't usually laugh out loud at movies, but this one was killin' me. :D I've liked all the Melissa McCarthy/Paul Feig collaborations, but this was definitely the funniest. Might actually go see it again tonight!

Also watched Zombeavers on Netflix last night. I'm a B-Horror fan and wasn't expecting anything incredible out of it, but even going in with fairly low expectations, I still wasn't terribly impressed. The jokes all kind of fell flat, but maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't just watched Spy which was truly hilarious.

The funniest parts to me were the opening and closing with John Mayer (wtf?! :p) and Bill Burr.

Spy was excellent. I don't usually laugh out loud at movies, but this one was killin' me. :D I've liked all the Melissa McCarthy/Paul Feig collaborations, but this was definitely the funniest. Might actually go see it again tonight!

Also watched Zombeavers on Netflix last night. I'm a B-Horror fan and wasn't expecting anything incredible out of it, but even going in with fairly low expectations, I still wasn't terribly impressed. The jokes all kind of fell flat, but maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't just watched Spy which was truly hilarious.

The funniest parts to me were the opening and closing with John Mayer (wtf?! :p) and Bill Burr.

Lol, Nox, you should change your sig. "I watch these films, so you don't have to. Do not try this at home." :p

I went to see Mad Max : Fury Road today. I hadn't had time to see it before, and before release had been a bit indifferent to it but after everyone seemed to recommend I decided I did need to see it. I thought it was a fantastic action movie, I'm not sure I can really think of anything quite like it, few films are as relentless and I can't think of any others that are almost one long chase scene that never gets dull.

Lol, Nox, you should change your sig. "I watch these films, so you don't have to. Do not try this at home." :p

Haha, it's true! :D

Today is turning into one of those lazy days where I just hang out and do laundry and watch movies all day. I've gone through a couple of comedies and now I'm switching gears. Next up: Bronson and then maybe Zero Dark Thirty.

ETA: Tom Hardy is a great actor but I only got about 20 minutes into Bronson before I decided to pass. I might try it again later, but I don't think I was in the right mood for it today. I was expecting a gritty prison movie and this was more of a surreal psychological exploration. I actually think it may be quite good if that's what you're in the mood for.

The funniest parts to me were the opening and closing with John Mayer (wtf?! :P) and Bill Burr.

I watched it a couple of weeks ago, and I thought it was terrible - but not in the "so bad it's good" way, just bad.

Archived