June 2015 Reads

Ferrum Aeternum

I'm working through Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb. Started off a bit slow as the characters were introduced but the story has picked up rapidly and I'm now hooked. I love the concept, and Hobb's style suits me to a tee. I plan to complete this trilogy then move on to Tawny Man next.

Still reading The Lies of Locke Lamora. Have less than 100 pages left and so far I've loved the whole thing. Great twists, great writing... just superb overall. After that it's either continue the 2nd half of the Long Price Quartet, or read the Iliad and Odyssey.

Finished The Prestige. Splendid story, even if one of the big reveals is (of course) spoilt if you’ve seen the (equally splendid) film. (The film turns out to be a good adaptation of a good book taking many liberties.)

Starting Nemesis Games tomorrow. Right now, just filling my time with Conan stories.

I totally forgot this was releasing in June. :stunned:

Don't normally dual-read but this being Expanse I may just have to split my Hobb time on this one.

Reading Solzhenitsyn's The First Circle. Very interesting so far. Finally picked up Gwyn Jones' A History of the Vikings yesterday but may read Simon Schama's Citizens: A Chronicle of the French Revolution next. All depends on what mood I'm in after The First Circle.

Finished Abercrombie's Before They Are Hanged. I enjoyed it, although not as much as The Blade Itself.

In all the Abercrombie threads that have been on here, I don't think I have ever seen someone who actually preferred TBI to the latter two novels.

The Book of Strange New Things was recommended to me here - but I see on the library website that it's classified under "Christian fiction" and in the summary, it says it's a "profound meditation on faith". I'm thinking this might be something I'll neither enjoy nor appreciate. Anyone read this before and want to comment? I am very familiar with Christian fiction and thinking and am not interested in yet another viewpoint or perspective on faith. I guess this probably answers my own question, but since it was a board rec, I'd still be interested in hearing what people thought made it worth reading.

I think it's 12am in the timeline from which you purchased it.

I’m hitting reload like a Miller-infested automaton, hundred and thirteen times each second…

But you’re probably right—hours and hours of wait loom ahead.

Finished up the Last Kingdom this evening. Damn that was good. Count me into the Cornwell is great group. I'll likely continue straight on with the Saxon stories as I bought The Pale Horseman when it was on offer.

Finished up the Last Kingdom this evening. Damn that was good. Count me into the Cornwell is great group. I'll likely continue straight on with the Saxon stories as I bought The Pale Horseman when it was on offer.

Go for it. I'm coming towards the end of book three, and this is a series that just gets better and better. I'll probably finish The Lords of the North tonight, and then I shall be faced with a serious dilemna. Damn you, James S A Corey!

Still working on Best Served Cold, although I am finally approaching the end. I feel about it much as I did about The First Law trilogy--it just feels kind of hollow. Like there should be something more to the story, but it's just a bunch of window dressing hanging on nothing. I find myself reading whole pages and not knowing what I just read and having to go back and re-read. I got like three pages into a chapter the other day and realized I had no idea whose POV I was in and where it was taking place. But the writing is good, sometimes interesting things happen, and I'm not one to abandon a book at three quarters. Still, I think it will be mostly a relief when I finally finish it and can move on to something else.

For the record, Nemesis Games is now available as promised, and the Kindle version is on my computer now.

As is my wont I have immediately searched the text for “sentient tree,” and the number of matches found is

zero.

Archived