Did Ice and Dawn clash?

Ned may have reclaimed Ice for his family by this point, but would he be ready to use it in battle? Presumably at that point he would have been far more comfortable fighting with a longsword. In fact the only time we see Ned try to fight he's using a longsword. So I would say it's unlikely. But if he was worried about Dawn cutting right through the sword he used during the rebellion, he could have decided to use Ice for that battle.

So are we supposed to assume that the Starks were normally the size of the Cleganes?

Or we can assume it was only used for executions. That wouldn't be too farfetched, seeing as how we only see it used two times, once by Ned and another by Ilyn Payne, and both times for an execution.

Seems like a waste of Valyrian Steel to only use it for executions.

Well, I wager it's easier to lop off a man's head with it than a regular sword. Nothing worse than ruining a good beheading by half-lopping the person's head and then bashing it repeatedly until it falls off.

It's either using it as a ceremonial weapon, or training your head-of-house to wield it in battle. The latter seems like it would require a lot of time and effort, and even then it's not a very convenient weapon. Just having to carry it around is work enough, can't use it in small spaces, yadda yadda. Yet, not using it often would mean loss of skill overtime, or lack of useful improvement. Lot of work for a sword.

Personally, I think the Starks should've done what Tywin did and find someone to reforge it into two smaller swords.

I'd like to think Ned used Ice at the TOJ. Ice isn't too big to wield.

All the dimensions we get are that it was taller than a 14 year old Robb (who was not very tall to begin with) and that it was as wide as a hand. If it is taller than Robb that would put it at around 5' 5" or something around that. That is definitely within reason for a Greatsword, there are larger swords that were used in history. As for it being "wide as a hand", who is to say it is that wide the entire length of the blade? Lots of swords are broad at the hilt and get narrower down the length of the blade.

For all we know greatswords could have been his primary weapon.

:bs:

Yes, it's an infantry blade, not suited for mounted combat, but as far as greatswords go, far from the biggest. Dawn should be a similar size.

Sorry I'm not as down with the absolute specifics of the practicality of a fantasy sword as you are.

Remember that Ice is made of Valyrian steel, so is not that heavy. I understand that the size is a problem when using it in close-combat, but that doesn't mean Ned (and all the Starks lords and brothers) have learn how to fight with a Greatsword. Either way, I don't thinkhe used Ice when he fought Arthur Dayne.

Remember that Ice is made of Valyrian steel, so is not that heavy. I understand that the size is a problem when using it in close-combat, but that doesn't mean Ned (and all the Starks lords and brothers) have learn how to fight with a Greatsword. Either way, I don't thinkhe used Ice when he fought Arthur Dayne.

Even normal steel would weigh just about three pounds. Maybe three and a half. That's it. And the point of balance is damn close to the crossguard.

Ice is far too big to be used by Ned in single combat.

Maybe the Clegane's could use it but not many could.

I think that would be true for a regular greats word but Ice is valerian steel which is supposed to be hella light.

Also The Mance doesn't seem to have trouble swinging around a two handed sword and I always pictured The Ned and The Mance having similar builds.

Archived