Why would the honorable Ned Stark decide to have a 7 VS 3 instead of single combat each?

mystickristoff

How honorable is that? Ganging up on someone. It would mean that it would be a 2 VS 1, 3 VS 1, and 2 VS 1. I'm assuming the 3 VS 1 was him, Reed, and another northman VS Arthur Dayne since Dayne would be the most skilled one there.

Wouldn't 3 VS 3 be more honorable and proper? If the first set falls, he can request another 3 VS 3 and if that fails, Ned can just challenge Arthur to a single combat. Seems like a much more honorable approach than just plainly ganging up.

What do you mean? That's about just as dishonorable as a gang of thugs who have no martial arts training, ganging up on a 4th degree blackbelt because the said blackbelt easily KO'd one of their "homies". And then afterwards calling it a victory and boasting that they beat a blackbelt like it was some awesome feat although the blackbelt was outnumbered. Note the "they". I know Ned didn't boast about it but you get the idea.

What do you mean? That's about just as dishonorable as a gang of thugs who have no martial arts training, ganging up on a 4th degree blackbelt because the said blackbelt easily KO'd one of their "homies". And then afterwards calling it a victory and boasting that they beat a blackbelt. Note the "they".

It was war, not a duel. It would be less honorable for him to undermine the trust his friend/king had placed in him by acting like a jackass instead of winning.

How honorable is that? Ganging up on someone. It would mean that it would be a 2 VS 1, 3 VS 1, and 2 VS 1. I'm assuming the 3 VS 1 was him, Reed, and another northman VS Arthur Dayne since Dayne would be the most skilled one there.

Wouldn't 3 VS 3 be more honorable and proper? If the first set falls, he can request another 3 VS 3 and if that fails, Ned can just challenge Arthur to a single combat. Seems like a much more honorable approach than just plainly ganging up.

Haters gonna hate.

The war was over at this point. The Mad King was dead. The other side already lost the war. And this isn't in some big battle field where you would expect to get ganged up on at some point since it would be, for example, 100,745 men VS 99,987 men or something.

These were 3 guys guarding a place, following orders... and 7 guys instigating a fight, not a battle field engagement.

They were still enemy combatants and they had Ned's sister and her child. Too much at stake here. Its not like Arthur Dayne called Ned a rude name or something trivial. Ned didn't know what could have happened so he brought as many men as he felt necessary to get past three elite knights.

I've never read anything that would say its dishonorable to use overwhelming power against your enemies or that a "fair fight" must mean that both sides have an equal chance at winning, just that no dirty tricks Ramsay-style are to be used. Every development of technology, tactics and traning since the dawn of time has aimed to make a fight as unfair and in your own favor as possible.

Ned's honorable, but he's not as stupid as some believe.

1) It's War where all bets are off

2) Ned's sister was in the tower guarded by his foes

3) Ned is facing 3 of the best warriors in the realm and is smart enough to use every advantage that he has.

4) Ned already acted honorably by giving the KG a way out of the situation. But they refused.

Can anyone link me some quotes or paste the passage where it is stated the it was 7vs3 please. As far as I recall the count given was from a dream/daydream that Ned had which could leave the number in the ToJ up for guess. There is a part, I believe Catelyn first chapter in book 1 , where Catelyn states that Ned spoke to his men at Winterfell about the rumors of what happened in the south near the ToJ. This alone would point out that showed up with his household guard, which is quite a lot more than 3 or 7.

So he knew that 3 elite knights were guarding the place? Yet he didn't decide to bring his best men with him? Like probably his best bannerman, Greatjon Umber, or his allied friend Blackfish Tully? That would have been a much more suitable 3 VS 3 or something.

He brought men he could trust not to blab to Robert and anybody else who would listen that Lyanna and Rhaegar had had a kid together.

I've never read anything that would say its dishonorable to use overwhelming power against your enemies or that a "fair fight" must mean that both sides have an equal chance at winning, just that no dirty tricks Ramsay-style are to be used. Every development of technology, tactics and traning since the dawn of time has aimed to make a fight as unfair and in your own favor as possible.

In a battlefield engagement, yes, there is no "fair fight". It wouldn't be smart to only bring 1000 men with you instead of your maximum 3000 just because the other side only has 1000 men.

There was no field engagement. They just rode up to fight 3 men guarding a tower. How honorable would it be if Ned ordered an entire mounted platoon to attack Arthur Dayne, the best swordsman at the time, that rivaled Barristan's skill? It's war right? War is over. The Mad King's dead.

Archived