Why didn't Arya reveal herself to Roose Bolton?

of man and wolf

If I recall correctly from my readings, Arya was at Harrenhal with Roose...Roose did take down the Lannisters banners and put up his own ALONG with the Stark banner. If Arya saw so many northmen there and people who were at the time supposedly dedicated to Robb, why didn't she actually reveal herself to Roose at this time? I can't recall if there was any specific reason.

She learned in king's landing that you couldn't trust anyone. Sansa betrayed her with Nymeria and Cersei. Ned lied to her when he said he would protect her. Jory lied when he said that any northman was worth 2 southron knights. Yoren said he was going to bring her home. We all know how that turned out. She does not trust anyone. Why should she trust the creepy guy, even if he did fly her Brother's banner?

It always struck me as odd that Roose didn't recognize Arya either. As a Stark bannerman, I would expect he would have made regular trips to Winterfell to discuss affairs of the realm with his liege lord. Part of that would have included sizing up all the noble children as possible matches for his own son(s).

So either Ned Stark kept Roose at arm's length because, yeah he is extremely corpse-like and creepy, or Roose simply failed to recognize Arya outside of her image as a lord's daughter. Very strange for someone who, at least on paper, looks to be a fairly perceptive player of the game of thrones.

It always struck me as odd that Roose didn't recognize Arya either. As a Stark bannerman, I would expect he would have made regular trips to Winterfell to discuss affairs of the realm with his liege lord. Part of that would have included sizing up all the noble children as possible matches for his own son(s).

So either Ned Stark kept Roose at arm's length because, yeah he is extremely corpse-like and creepy, or Roose simply failed to recognize Arya outside of her image as a lord's daughter. Very strange for someone who, at least on paper, looks to be a fairly perceptive player of the game of thrones.

He might have. But ome of the recurring themes in ASOIAF is how people see what they expect. Nobody expected Arya Stark of Winterfell to be living as a servant in the Lannister host at Harrenhal. That Roose took her as his cup bearer because he knew she was involved in some way with the weasel soup without having her questioned was a bit of a plot hole. (Unless of course you believe he knew exactly who she was.)

Arya was the second daughter and there is no telling how long it had been since Roose had seen her. It would have been Robb and Sansa that his attention would have been focused on. He most certainly was not expecting to see Eddard's daughter posing as a serving girl.

Arya looked like Ned. I feel it likely that Roose did recognise her or at least knew her for a Stark of some kind. However he may not have expected to see Ned Starks daughter as a servant. Of course he could have assumed she was a child of Brandon or any other Stark.

I do not think Starks marry Boltons EVER, so Roose may not have come looking for a wife. Even if he had seen her two/3 years before, a child of 7 changes quite a bit in three years.

A -- Lords dont spent their time at each other house. They have other things to do like for example ruling their own lands

B - Girls grow quickly during those years and Arya had also cut her hair.

C - Roose was busy with his plans. He didn't had time to observe girls (ie he's not pycelle)

A -- Lords dont spent their time at each other house. They have other things to do like for example ruling their own lands

B - Girls grow quickly during those years and Arya had also cut her hair.

C - Roose was busy with his plans. He didn't had time to observe girls (ie he's not pycelle)

:agree:

The question is what he would have done if he knew ?

I don't believe he would just keep her around if he knew who she is. He would either have sent her to Riverrun or Kings Landing, depending on how far he was in his betrayal of Robb.

:agree:

The question is what he would have done if he knew ?

I don't believe he would just keep her around if he knew who she is. He would either have sent her to Riverrun or Kings Landing, depending on how far he was in his betrayal of Robb.

Kill off Robb and marry Arya to his son Ramsay.

Arya has a 'Spidey Sense' about things...her escape from the massacre of the Red Keep proved that and I think that was tingling the whole time she was at Harrenhal. I think the vibes at Harrenhal kept her quiet....along with Roose's creepiness.

I don't think Roose recognized her...#1 people see what they expect to see and #2 she was dressed and acted like a commoner and nobles pay no attention to the lower class. (think of Cat and Ser Rodrik on the road when the group of knights came by headed for the Hand's Tourney)

What would Roose have done if he discovered her? I doubt that he would have turned her over to Tywin, but chances are, the Real Arya would be the one married to Ramsey...they would have cooked it up together, but Roose would have maintained possession of such a valuable hostage.

Well didn't Roose right when he shows up sorta show his true colors?.IIRC he tied that one girl up and let her get raped a buncha times and like someone said....he's creepy as fuck.Also he worked with the BC the most screwed up mercenary company ever

Archived