How good a fighter is Jon Snow?

tokyochojin

How does Jon Snow compare to some of the better swordsmen in the kingdom like Bron or Loras Tyrell? People often talk about gifted fighters like Sandor, Selmy, Brianne & Jamie (pre stump) etc but I never see a mention about Jon Snow. Where do you think he is rated compared to the greater knights in the realm...?

People are gonna be critical of you placing Bronn in the categories of Loras and Selmy and Jamie.

I think Jon is pretty bad ass but Mance gave it to him good but it's really hard to say how Mance compares to anyone notable on the story so that is meh. I bet he top 10 with a sword.

He's very likely not in the same class as Loras Tyrell, Barristan Selmy, or a two-handed Jaime Lannister, for instance, but by the end of ADwD, he may well be in that next tier down. He's a good fighter, perhaps even very good.

Jon Snow admitted that Robb Stark was better than him in everything, including fighting. Did he say this in the books? I'm confident that Rodrik Cassel could have beaten Jon Snow with moderate effort. I don't think Jon would have significantly improved by training at Castle Black for the small part of 2 years. He's sparring with men that were never trained with the sword before then. He has gained experience from fighting some wildlings and wights but not enough to equal that of battle hardened older guys such as Rodrik or Berric Dondarrion.

How good is he in my opinion? Not that far in skill than Robb, based on the show. Where does Robb stand? Safe to say, two tiers below Ned Stark.

Jon Snow admitted that Robb Stark was better than him in everything, including fighting. Did he say this in the books?

That was in the show. In the books I thinks he says Robb was better with a lance but Jon was the better swordsman. Overall, Jon seems to be a good fighter with potential, but definitely not top tier.

Good enough to beat up guys with absolutely no training. About as good as your average 17 year old nobleman could reasonably be, except lacking in some vital training. Aside from that, he's not much. Mance curb-stomped him, he turned down Godry's offer to spar, he lost 9/10 of his spars with Iron Emmett, and Halfhand easily could have defeated him had he not taken a dive. He's almost certainly inferior to the average knight.

Good enough to beat up guys with absolutely no training. About as good as your average 17 year old nobleman could reasonably be, except lacking in some vital training. Aside from that, he's not much. Mance curb-stomped him, he turned down Godry's offer to spar, he lost 9/10 of his spars with Iron Emmett, and Halfhand easily could have defeated him had he not taken a dive. He's almost certainly inferior to the average knight.

Taken a dive? Ghost would have killed the Halfhand for Jon anyway.

jon seems to be getting better as the series goes on but hes nothing special. by the end of everything we might see him climb into that secondary tier but hes definitely not even close to that currently. jon is still young but weve seen other characters be far more accomplished at comparable ages.

I remember I started a thread on Jon Snow vs Loras Tyrell and the overwhelming majority said Loras was far better. Jon is a better swordsman than Robb (as stated in the books) and with Longclaw he is even better. I do think that if he knew he was up against Mance and had Longclaw it would have been more even. The thing is that he has not had many formidable opponents since joining the Watch. Qhorin Halfhand, Mance and Iron Emmett. We need to see him go up against a formidable opponent with the same type of training by a Master at Arms. Nonetheless I would still say that he is still one of the best fighters for his age. The only ones that I can definitely say are better are Loras and Josmyn Peckledon (the one who killed two knights, wounded a third and captured two more). I'd place Jon below them but he's still one of the best for his age and he'll get better

I remember I started a thread on Jon Snow vs Loras Tyrell and the overwhelming majority said Loras was far better. Jon is a better swordsman than Robb (as stated in the books) and with Longclaw he is even better. I do think that if he knew he was up against Mance and had Longclaw it would have been more even. The thing is that he has not had many formidable opponents since joining the Watch. Qhorin Halfhand, Mance and Iron Emmett. We need to see him go up against a formidable opponent with the same type of training by a Master at Arms. Nonetheless I would still say that he is still one of the best fighters for his age. The only ones that I can definitely say are better are Loras and Josmyn Peckledon (the one who killed two knights, wounded a third and captured two more). I'd place Jon below them but he's still one of the best for his age and he'll get better

I really beg to differ on that one. Jon is no way one of the top swordsman of his time if Rodrik Cassel can outclass him. Safe to say Rodrik can 8 out of 10.

How does Jon Snow compare to some of the better swordsmen in the kingdom like Bron or Loras Tyrell? People often talk about gifted fighters like Sandor, Selmy, Brianne & Jamie (pre stump) etc but I never see a mention about Jon Snow. Where do you think he is rated compared to the greater knights in the realm...?

Left - Upper limit of the tier, Right - Lower limit of the tier

1 - Wildlings/Vale clans/Northern clans

2 - Levy/city watch/NW

3 - Men at arms/Jon Snow on a good day and with Longclaw/average highborns with training since they could lift a sword

4 - Knights and men at arms older than teens/veteran mercenaries/veteran levy (such as after a couple years of battles in the WOT5K)

5 - Top fighters like Garlan/renowned warriors like Renly's Rainbow Guard/well known fighters like Rolland Storm, etc.

Considering that Jon had abandoned formal training for the kiddies version while still a teen, and that his past showing was against inferior enemies and not that impressive at that, there is no reason (aside from fan's wishfull thinking) to rank him high in the skill ranking. Without a special sword and a dierwolf he would have died several times. To ask "what if Jon had Longclaw when he went against Mance" is giving Jon's skill an unfair advantage. What if Jon had Longclaw and Mance had Ice? Jon would be halved and there is no getting around that fact.

He's better than Robb, and has had formal training, which makes him better than anyone at the Wall and probably the vast majority of lowborn. That's really about it. He's no match for Mance, and any of the elite fighters of Westeros (Loras, two-hand Jaime, the Cleganes) would wipe the floor with him.

decent but not outstanding at this point he's still young and improving although his current encounters with experienced and skilled warriors haven't gone overly well for him. However With the addition of a dire wolf i reckon the point is moot

Archived