Nemesis Games by James SA Corey [SPOILERS]

Xray the Enforcer

I'm just a few chapters in, and I am starting to wonder if I should have read any of the novellas. Up until now I didn't feel the need, but it seems that this one is delving into characters' pasts. For example I have no idea who Filip is supposed to be, his full name was revealed at the end of the prologue, but it didn't ring any bells.

Anyone who has gotten further in the book have any thoughts on this?

I'm just a few chapters in, and I am starting to wonder if I should have read any of the novellas. Up until now I didn't feel the need, but it seems that this one is delving into characters' pasts. For example I have no idea who Filip is supposed to be, his full name was revealed at the end of the prologue, but it didn't ring any bells.

Seeing as he's only fifteen, I doubt we've missed anything by not reading the novellas.

Seeing as he's only fifteen, I doubt you've missed anything by not reading the novellas.

He was thinking of his father, hence the full name at the end. And I know there is a novella about Amos, and it looks like Amos's past is coming to visit him.

Regarding whether or.not reading the novellas give.you any background on Filip and Amos :

Filip isn't in any of the novellas. In the Churn, you get some background on Amos, Erich, and Lydia, but its certainly not necessary to understand.what's.going on. If anything, I'd say Nemesis goes out of its way to be generous with exposition that might be gleaned from any of the previous works.

Regarding whether or.not reading the novellas give.you any background on Filip and Amos :

Filip isn't in any of the novellas. In the Churn, you get some background on Amos, Erich, and Lydia, but its certainly not necessary to understand.what's.going on. If anything, I'd say Nemesis goes out of its way to be generous with exposition that might be gleaned from any of the previous works.

Thanks

At first I was really annoyed that

Sakai

turned out to be a terrorist/mole, because it seems there's a pattern in The Expanse that every single person a POV character dislikes personally turns out to be some secret mole or terrorist or general shitbag. But he turned out to be such a minor character that it didn't matter.

Just want to say that halfway-through i am loving getting povs from Naomi, Alex, and Amos. Best installment yet unless shit goes super bad.

I've finished and it was my favourite of the series so far.

I've been waiting for Naomi's backstory and this didn't let me down

I'm about halfway through. Since I did the power re-read in the weeks leading up to the release, it's amazing how much catastrophe is caused by people being stupid. The protomolecule looks downright sane in comparison.

Three quarters of the way through, and I am pretty sure that at least one of the Roci's crew isn't going to make it. Though at this stage it's difficult to say whether Amos, Naomi, or Alex is in the most precarious position. They're all pretty much in dire straits.

If I had to bet on it, I'd go for Naomi. She was the one doing all the foreshadowing at the beginning of the story, and I reckon there has to be some kind of karmic payback for that ship she blew up.

Just a little over half in. Damn. I am really enjoying it so far. Way better paced than Cybola Burn. A really good decision to mae each crew member a POV and then split them up.

I haven't done a re-read of the books. Anyone remember what happened to Havelock at the end of CB? He could be of help in this FUBAR.

Finished this last night.

Overall, I'd give it a 6 out of 10. Pretty boring in the beginning, amazingly exciting in the middle, before fizzling out to become a bit of a damp squib at the end.

it's amazing how much catastrophe is caused by people being stupid.

I'm not reading spoilers because I'm only about 1/2-way done with the book thus far. But this kind of mindset totally reminds me of Ty (as does the appreciation for tequila) and of a number of convos I've had with him over the years. I like that both in the Expanse and in Abraham's Dagger and Coin series, there's really no such thing as A Big Evil. It's just a lot of misguided and incompetent people (and people-like creatures).

Finished this last night.

Overall, I'd give it a 6 out of 10. Pretty boring in the beginning, amazingly exciting in the middle, before fizzling out to become a bit of a damp squib at the end.

Yeah, I finished it last night and I couldn't believe it was the end. It was very sudden and didn't really have a resolve, unless you count the crew getting back together after spending the entire plot separated, but that didn't really feel like an ending in itself.

Also, while for the most part, the novellas/short stores aren't essential to the overall plot, I think that having read The Churn *really* helped me immerse myself more deeply in Amos' story. If you are on the fence about the short stories, it's the one I would recommend the most.

Yeah, I finished it last night and I couldn't believe it was the end. It was very sudden and didn't really have a resolve, unless you count the crew getting back together after spending the entire plot separated, but that didn't really feel like an ending in itself.

Yeah, I was hoping for some kind of emotional kick, but it just never came.

The epilogue was probably the most interesting thing about the entire book. WTF was that all about?

Also, what was Naomi on about when she said she wanted immunity for the crew of the Rocinante before spilling her guts to Avasarala?

Archived