Does anybody else think "A Clash of Kings" is underrated

I've not really heard anyone say anything negative about the book, but I've not heard anyone actually give the book much praise either. This is probably my favorite book in the series. I loved the introduction to the Ironborn, seeing the political side of the war first hand and plus getting a glimpse at the lives of the small folk and how the events have affected their lives, which just made the world richer. Its not as epic and exciting as "A Storm of Sword" but its still a great book, and I think it deserves more praise.

Does anyone else think this book deserves more credit ?

I think most consider there to be little difference in quality between the first three books. ASOS brings a lot of story lines to a tumultuous point that had been developing through AGOT and ACOK, so feels more exciting as a result.

I consider AFFC and ADWD to be quite undervalued at times. They undoubtedly have considerable imperfections, but they both equally have strong points in their favour which are more noticeable on reread.

The first three novels always flowed together seamlessly. It wasn't until Feast and Dance that I noticed a decline in the books ability to keep me entertained. But to be fair most series do decline in the middle. I always enjoyed Clash a bit more than Game and Storm because Tyrion as Hand of the King never fails to entertain. :P

i have not heard any bad comments about the book, but i do mostly hear people mentioned other books as their favorites, such a storm or dance. i truthly love all of them but a clash of kings and a storm of swords are my favorites.

The first three novels always flowed together seamlessly. It wasn't until Feast and Dance that I noticed a decline in the books ability to keep me entertained. But to be fair most series do decline in the middle. I always enjoyed Clash a bit more than Game and Storm because Tyrion as Hand of the King never fails to entertain. :P

Yes, that's definitely a brilliantly entertaining section. He was absolutely in his element.

Feast and Dance are alot better after re reading, it's mainly the editing that lets that book down.

Feast and Dance are alot better after re reading, it's mainly the editing that lets that book down.

Eh, during my last reread, Feast was literally a chore to get through again and I got maybe a third of the way through Dance before I just got bored with it. To each their own.

Clash is my favorite in the series. Every storyline is just great, barring Dany, and I think it shows that people who don't like Feast and Dance that much like myself are not only looking for big moments or shocks.

Clash is a relatively calm book in that regard, but it's got way more plot progression than the last two books, in my opinion.

I'm re reading clash now and it's been a really easy read. I forgot how much I really enjoyed it. The progression is so seamless. I've always enjoyed feast and dance, but I'm once I'm done with clash and storm, I've found a link that does a combined read of feast and dance. I'm thinking they'll read much better as one book.

AFFC is my favorite of the 5 pretty solidly but after that my rankings tend to change based on what I'm listening too. I'm listening to ACOK right now and realized how much I liked the scene with Jamie and Cat in the dungeons of RiverRun. Really underapprecited it before. One of my favorite scenes in the books.

Archived