Good Irish Mystery and Fantastical Stuff?

TannerSack

What kind of stuff are you looking for exactly? When you say "mysteries", do you mean detective stories? By "fantastical", do you mean "ghost stories", "fairy tales", legends? Or more modern works by Irish writers in fantastical genres?

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure what you mean either.

Mysteries like Benjamin Black books such as Christine Falls or fantastical mysteries like the Fever series by Katen Marie Moning? Tana French or Sina Leich?

What have you read and liked?

This is actually for a dissertation chapter, so my needs are rather specific. I need a piece of Irish crime fiction written after the start of the recession in 2008. The novel doesn't need to be set in this period, but it can't be published much earlier than this date. I'm working with the themes of haunting and madness as expressions of trauma, so the fantastical element usually translates to Gothic overtones in either setting or storyline. Texts with some sort of character with either blatant or suggestive mental disability or haunting are helpful, but not essential. The authors and works that I am currently including in the chapter are Tana French's Broken Harbor, Louise Phillips' Last Kiss or The Doll's House, and, possibly, Alex Barclay's Darkhouse.

This is actually for a dissertation chapter, so my needs are rather specific. I need a piece of Irish crime fiction written after the start of the recession in 2008. The novel doesn't need to be set in this period, but it can't be published much earlier than this date.

I haven't read it, but The Cold, Cold Ground by Adrian Mckinty fits all of this, as far as I know there's nothing fantastical in it.

John Connolly is an Irish writer and has a few book out since 2008. Not set in Ireland but has definite fantastical elaments in it, horror and the main character is haunted by some dead family members.

Archived