Who are the 3 heads of the dragon?

dave95

I am not sure the three heads of the dragons must necessarily be dragonriders, although that seems the most probable thing.

Dany: Drogon - Already riding Drogon

Tyrion: Viserion - Viserion is smallest, golden, and seemingly the most perceptive and wisest among Dany's dragons. He's currently flying about Meereen, so it''s only a matter of time before Tyrion rides it. It is possible that Victarion or Moqorro or Dusky woman may use the horn to bind Viserion. They may even be successful to an extent, but Tyrion is going to be the one who will ride Viserion to Westeros.

Jon: Rhaegal - Green, maybe associated with old gods and CoTF, named after Rhaegar. If Rhaegal hatched from Aegon V's dragon egg, it makes a nice parallel to Jon in a way - Aegon V married Betha Blackwood, a wild and willful woman who followed the Old Gods.

Hello all, long time lurker here. Just gonna leave a few thoughts: in awofai it says that during targaryen civil war A dance of dragons, there were several dragon riders that were not targaryen and of common blood. As far as the three heads, I think Dany is the three in one: mother, queen and Khaleesi.

I read it last month dude, if I'm not mistaken Aegon or Rhaenyra, I don't recall which one's war against his/her sister/brother left him/her with more dragons than riders so they put out a decree that anybody that can successfully bond a dragon would get a lordship. Yes there were bastards but there were also a few common folks. I don't have the book anymore but there was one famous commoner who let the power get to his head and did something foolish that got him killed on the back of his dragon.

Why does the dragon really needs to have three heads?

Anyway, if I understand Mr. Martin's plans, the story has five (major) main characters, these are Arya, Bran, Daenerys, Jon and Tyrion. I didn't put in order of relevance, though, just alphabetical order. From those, the only one who didn't met the others is Dany. But let me explain other things.

Are we calling the "heads" of the dragon as dragonriders? If so, we must understand that dragonriders don't actually need Valyrian blood. It seems to magically make easier to bond with a dragon but that is it. Dragons are still animals, firebreath milk-drinking magical reptiles but still animals. Also, you can bind their will with magical horns and what not. If we set ourselves to choose solely between the main characters, I have two propositions and a bonus.

The first one, is the most obvious too. Dany, which happens to already be a dragonrider. Tyrion, for his dreams of dragonriding and, obviously, for being the only one going toward the dragons. And Bran, for also having blatantly expressed in his chapters that he will learn to fly.

Outside the one above, we have Dany, Jon for the sole reason people seem to be so certain that he has Valyrian blood and that is matters more than he being a son of the North, which has been the most important part of his identity so far, and Tyrion or Bran, choose what you might.

The bonus, for the fun of it, would be Jon, Bran and Arya as the trio Stark dragonriding taking Westeros to their peaceful and honorable ways... by fire and steel.

If you do not jail yourself to the necessity to choose between the TOP 5, you may add anything. I would put Dany and Aegon duo, for no special reason.

If you take the three heads as for any other meaning, please do share.

Tyrion will DEFINITELY have a dragon... The Foreshadowing is just too deep & too plentiful... I mean he is the character in the series who knows how to make special saddles to ride things...

Now after these dragons fall & are raised again as Wight Dragons for Others to ride, that is when things will get interesting...

I personally think that if it comes out that the Lannister Breedings are Targaryens, that would be the worst writing possible which is why i don't think this will ever happen. GRRM is not the best writer, but he is pretty good. We can say for sure, that Jon is a (half) Targaryen. Now, revealing another one- or in that case 3 of them- would be just lame. "Oh heres a Targaryen, and here is another one, oh and that's a Targaryen". That would be a Targaryen Deus-ex-Machina, that solves every problem. That's just awfull. So I can say for sure that Tyrion is not a Targaryen. And he doesnt have to be.

Now in my opinion, to answer the question who are the three headed dragon, we should consider the tritity of the Saviour-Myth. We have three stories: Azor Ahai, tPtwP and the Last Hero.

And we need three persons for the three headed dragon.

Now many people think that the Myths are about the same person only differently told (in different areas of the Continent). I think that's only half true. I think there will be three people, each of them taking one part. Thus you will have the three headed dragon. One beeing- if you will- but with three heads. One Story that combines them, with three different people. And here is who i think this persons will be:

Jon - Azor Ahai. He will be reborn. And Melidsandre saw him as Azor Ahai in the fire.

tPtwP: Danny. It is said that he will be from the line of Aerys. Now Aemon allready explained why the prince doesnt have to be male. That's crucial. And she is from the direct line of Aerys. Also, the story of tPtwP is a Targaryen story. Thus it must be a full Targaryen. Jon is only halftarg. He fits in the role of Azor Ahai. And he died.

The Last Hero: Bran. Its a story from the north. A Stark Story. A guy who walked allone in the cold and got help from the Children of the forest to defeat the others. That's basically Bran. He is the connection to the other races of westeros.

All three will be neaded to defeat the others.

The other characters will of course play a role, but their role will be different.

Walked alone in the cold? He had four companions, a direwolf and was carried...

Well OF COURSE it won't be 100% the same story like the prophecy 😵. They are other characters in other circumstances at a different time. It won't be 100% accurate. But the idea will be comparable.

Considering the two dragons who have no rider are currently in Meeren, I believe they will be mounted by Victarion and someone else, or maybe the last dragon is killed there, transported by ship or whatever. Victarion will be thought to be a head, but will die and lose his dragon to Euron.

Either Jon will ride a dragon or Bran will skinchange into one. But I think Bran will skinchange into somebody at the heart of the Land of Always Winter and that's where he will do what he's gotta do, whatever that is.

In my opinion, Tyrion being a Targaryen would be lame. It undermines his relationship with Tywin - yes, it might explain why his father hated him, but would make his murdering of Tywin much less abhorrent.

• 1 month later...

I don't think any old random person can be sacrificed.  It has to be someone very close to Jon to make the "sacrifice" worthwhile.  I personally think it will be Ghost that is sacrificed and that releases Jon from Ghost.

If Ghost isn't fighting next to Jon in the end I'll lose it. I picture it now: Jon, with his flaming sword, longclaw. His flaming direwolf, ghost. Dany, Tyrion, and a warged Bran flying above them. All fucking shit up. What's the name for a reading orgasm!?

I personally think that if it comes out that the Lannister Breedings are Targaryens, that would be the worst writing possible which is why i don't think this will ever happen. GRRM is not the best writer, but he is pretty good. We can say for sure, that Jon is a (half) Targaryen. Now, revealing another one- or in that case 3 of them- would be just lame. "Oh heres a Targaryen, and here is another one, oh and that's a Targaryen". That would be a Targaryen Deus-ex-Machina, that solves every problem. That's just awfull. So I can say for sure that Tyrion is not a Targaryen. And he doesnt have to be.

Now in my opinion, to answer the question who are the three headed dragon, we should consider the tritity of the Saviour-Myth. We have three stories: Azor Ahai, tPtwP and the Last Hero.

And we need three persons for the three headed dragon.

Now many people think that the Myths are about the same person only differently told (in different areas of the Continent). I think that's only half true. I think there will be three people, each of them taking one part. Thus you will have the three headed dragon. One beeing- if you will- but with three heads. One Story that combines them, with three different people. And here is who i think this persons will be:
Jon - Azor Ahai. He will be reborn. And Melidsandre saw him as Azor Ahai in the fire.

tPtwP: Danny. It is said that he will be from the line of Aerys. Now Aemon allready explained why the prince doesnt have to be male. That's crucial. And she is from the direct line of Aerys. Also, the story of tPtwP is a Targaryen story. Thus it must be a full Targaryen. Jon is only halftarg. He fits in the role of Azor Ahai. And he died.

The Last Hero: Bran. Its a story from the north. A Stark Story. A guy who walked allone in the cold and got help from the Children of the forest to defeat the others. That's basically Bran. He is the connection to the other races of westeros.

All three will be neaded to defeat the others.
The other characters will of course play a role, but their role will be different.

Absolutely. I 100% agree..

I think that there is way too much made about GRRM's style and how he breaks the mold.  He does not.

I agree with this 100%. He says he likes to "subvert" tropes, but he doesn't necessarily break them. He just plays with them a bit and then puts them back in their cages.

He also talks about prophecy and narration being unreliable, like with real history.  

Tyrion will DEFINITELY have a dragon... The Foreshadowing is just too deep & too plentiful... I mean he is the character in the series who knows how to make special saddles to ride things... 

Now after these dragons fall & are raised again as Wight Dragons for Others to ride, that is when things will get interesting...

I agree. One way it could play out is that he hears about the Others at the Wall, gets sick of Dany mewling about the IT, and says "Eff it. I am going to take a dragon." He convinces someone to blow that magic horn for him and he's off to the Wall to fight alongside Jon. Baller. 

Daenerys, Aegon, and Jon.

Aegon is either 1.) legit, but has to deal with suspicions of his identity for the rest of his life or 2.) is a Blackfyre/Brightflame/whomever and will be the "dragon" that heals the old Targaryen/Blackfyre wounds. I believe the former more than the latter because I think the story is setting him up for no one believing Aegon is who he says he is.

Daenerys will ride Drogon, as she already is.

Still indecisive about Aegon and Jon's dragons. However, I think Rhaegal and Viserion will parallel "The Greens" and Sunfyre from the first DoD, and I think Aegon and Jon will side against Daenerys, at least for a time. (The Greens was the political faction that supported Aegon II, and Aegon II rode Sunfyre, a gold dragon; Aegon II's personal banner was a gold dragon on black.)

Rhaegal has a temper, while Viserion is more laid back which leads me to believe that Aegon will have Rhaegal and Jon, Viserion. However, conquest and near death/resurrection might change both boys more than we know.

Viserion will have three riders by the end of the story; this is what his three horns represent. Viserion is likely the dragon to continue the family line of dragons, per imagery in the text. ("Her" egg was placed between Drogo's legs on his funeral pyre. In ADwD (or ACoK?), "she" is found in a coil around a pear tree, the coil representing continuity and the pear representing sexuality.) Therefore, I also believe whoever ultimately rides Viserion will also continue the Targaryen line.

Archived