FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015

Alarich

And in footie, the thrashings continue with Cameroon beating Ecuador 6-0. Sigh. I hope it gets better past the group stage. A good thrashing like Brazil got in the Men's World Cup amongst teams with comparable professional background is fun, but watching a bunch of amateurs getting destroyed by a pro-side gives me nothing

Unfortunately, USA vs. Australia was too late for me, so I didn get to watch the match. So far, Nigeria vs. Sweden was IMO the most entertaining match

More than half of the Cameroon team plays for European clubs (granted, a lot of them not in the biggest leagues), whereas the entire Ecuador team and all but four of Côte d'Ivoire's plays for clubs in their domestic leagues. I think that goes a long way to explain the differences.

My sincere hope for this tournament is that it won't be remembered for the artificial playing surfaces.

And also that people will shut up about it. I mean, it's happening. Deal with it.

My sincere hope for this tournament is that it won't be remembered for the artificial playing surfaces.

And also that people will shut up about it. I mean, it's happening. Deal with it.

I don't know if I can agree with you. It's pretty unconscionable and I'd like the pressure to be kept up.

I don't know if I can agree with you. It's pretty unconscionable and I'd like the pressure to be kept up.

I'm pretty curious what could be done about it at this point, is all I'm saying. Whether it's a bad thing or the worst possible thing, there's no changing it now.

I mean, I'm surprised because it's in neither the U.S. nor Australia.

Right. From what I remember, the bidding was between Canada and Zimbabwe, and Zimbabwe withdrew.

What I am most disappointed about is that we didn't get field upgrades for our host stadiums out of this event.

What I am most disappointed about is that we didn't get field upgrades for our host stadiums out of this event.

Well, Vancouver got a turf upgrade, but I suppose that doesn't count.

Not too happy with England's performance last night but to be honest it wasn't that bad overall. Not sure anyone expected us to beat France and a narrow 1-0 counts as a good effort. Jill Scott was good in midfield. Only thing to do now is win the games we're supposed to and it should be fine. Can't help but feel this world cup has come about 2 years too early for this England team.

Cannot emphasise enough how great it is to watch a world cup where the national press isn't creating unrealistic expectations for the team. Makes it loads more fun.

Eh, I don't know. I realize that it's hard to play on actual grass, given the weather in Canada, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the players/ commentary teams highlighting that it's affecting their game - in the hopes that it won't occur in the next world cup.

Sure, there isn't anything you can do to change it now, but just saying 'deal with it' is pretty unfair. You're not going to change anything in the game by just accepting it and moving on, in my opinion. It is clearly something that bothers the players.

Eh, I don't know. I realize that it's hard to play on actual grass, given the weather in Canada, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the players/ commentary teams highlighting that it's affecting their game - in the hopes that it won't occur in the next world cup.

Sure, there isn't anything you can do to change it now, but just saying 'deal with it' is pretty unfair. You're not going to change anything in the game by just accepting it and moving on, in my opinion. It is clearly something that bothers the players.

I feel maybe my point was lost in my vague delivery, so I will re-frame it:

Regardless of how people feel about playing the games on an artificial surface, it would be unfortunate if this fact overshadowed the event itself. There is nothing to be done about it now. By 'deal with it' I simply meant that teams need to accept this fact and adjust as best they can or withdraw from the tournament because it cannot be changed.

Fwiw, I think it's unfortunate that FIFA allowed this to happen. Clearly they wouldn't allow the men's WC to be played on turf (the men's u20 WC played here had all natural surfaces, but also only required smaller venues), so it immediately becomes an issue of equality. But an organization which still requires women players to formally declare that they are 'really' women is clearly fucked up, so it doesn't really boggle the mind, does it?

I want this tournament to do well, to draw better crowds, to generate money for advertisers, so that women's football can be in a position where it has the power to ensure that this doesn't happen again. I don't mean to suggest that women meekly accept inequality, but I don't think making this issue into something bigger than the tournament itself benefits anybody.

I have a real problem catchin up all the missed matches, because there's no meaning coverage at all. It's a real shame. Good news is that apart from a few exceptions, the results so far suggest a fairly balanced competition.

Archived