Boarders Writing A Novel: Part 13

Kyoshi

Congratulations! ;)

Thanks. We just hit 10# best selling superheroes book for Kindle but it'll be a long way to go before we're able to challenge Wearing the Cape or Ex-Heroes for the top of the superhero lit pile.

Still, with Esoterrorism coming out in a couple of weeks, I have a pretty good feeling about my authorial situation.

I'm having trouble. All I have right now are ideas, but I'm unable to build anything substantial. I've got a basic concept , some idea of the direction I want to take and blueprints for some characters, but it all seems abstract. I thought writing down something might help but without any clear pattern to bind the abstract ideas I feel like I'm shooting in the dark.

The best advice I can give anyone trying to do write is that you shouldn't try to build the house but try and build the rooms. Some great advice someone gave me was that you should always write the kind of book, you, yourself, would want to read and also something that contains all the stuff you want to see.

So start off imagining a scene where your characters are doing something which will tell the reader who they are, either talking or fighting or whatnot.

Oftentimes, I find a get a better picture of who characters are just by sitting them down to talk to one another.

Sounds like you should give your story more time to evolve. If you have a great scene you should write it down.

Best of luck with it. :)

Could you explain a bit more, what you´re doing exactly?

As I take it, you´ve drawn your panels and you´ve made photos or scanned the panels. Now you want a program for editing?

I know some people who do such things with gimp, which seems to be a free program similar to photoshop. I´m not familiar with it and can´t tell you what it does exactly. But I´m sure there are tutorials out there.

Do you have a graphic tablet?

Yes lol that's EXACTLY what I'm doing, and no I don't have a graphics tablet. I can get one soon though....do you recommend it?

I have the panels ready for scanning, but I've not started on the scanning however.....

To the graphics tablet:

I very strongly recommend it. I don´t know how long your comic will be. A graphics tablet will save you so much time.

It takes not very long to get used to it. And even if you´re just cleaning the panels up on screen - it´s so much faster (and more precise) than the mouse.

And it feels almost as natural as an actual pen. The tablet-pen even has a lead that will adapt to your style just as a real pencil would... And it is sensitive to pressure. :wub:

I'm having an interesting time at the moment - Sailor to a Siren is coming out on 17th July and somehow I need to learn how to do promotion. I'm not very good at self-aggrandizement. :(

Preach it, brother! I've also been passively trying to look for avenues of promotion ever since my second book has been in editing. I hate 90% of social media with a passion and I hear it's not that useful for generating buzz anyway.

Preach it, brother! I've also been passively trying to look for avenues of promotion ever since my second book has been in editing. I hate 90% of social media with a passion and I hear it's not that useful for generating buzz anyway.

The perennial corollary is - if social media isn't useful, what is?

The perennial corollary is - if social media isn't useful, what is?

Luck. Something I'm still waiting for while I write and edit my current projects.

Social media - from what I understand - is good at expanding a fanbase and taking advantage of a successful spark. It is useful for maintaining and growing buzz, but the buzz must already exist.

To the graphics tablet:

I very strongly recommend it. I don´t know how long your comic will be. A graphics tablet will save you so much time.

It takes not very long to get used to it. And even if you´re just cleaning the panels up on screen - it´s so much faster (and more precise) than the mouse.

And it feels almost as natural as an actual pen. The tablet-pen even has a lead that will adapt to your style just as a real pencil would... And it is sensitive to pressure. :wub:

Lol I'll buy one next weekend (I'm buying a new laptop too)

Thanks loads!

ETA

I had a friend who used one with photoshop when he made animated characters, I agree its really easy to get used to.

Though I didn't even THINK to get one for myself :blush:

For drawing on the computer, use Illustrator. PS is better for manipulating photos, but Illustrator is for drawing. Or painting. I love this program.

Also check out Adobe's Ink&Slide. I want one. 😀 no need to by a separate graphics tablet now. Just use your iPad or android tablet. Or touch screen laptop.

Well, I've officially paid off all of my production costs and advance from the sales of The Rules of Supervillainy, everything now is pure profit.

Not bad for two weeks of work.

We're also contracting the Audio Book now.

:cheers:

It's good timing, too, because it's just two weeks until Esoterrorism is released.

Well, I've officially paid off all of my production costs and advance from the sales of The Rules of Supervillainy, everything now is pure profit.

It's good timing, too, because it's just two weeks until Esoterrorism is released.

Congrats!! :cheers:

That´s awesome! Congrats from me, too. :commie:

I´m just hopping in to give an update on the beta-reader-search:

I´ve found two willing beta-reader (even from the "target group") in another forum. And I´m really happy about it.

One already send his answer and gave some great advice exactly about the things I´ve worried the most. Which makes me really happy because I now am assured that I´m able to detect weaknesses. (Although I still have to figure out how to go about it.) But I think I´m on the right track now.

I wish you all a great friday night :).

Good afternoon all,

I'm once again after your valid opinions. I have recently finished my fourth book and am about to publish. Would any of you be kind enough to give an opinion on the blurb below please? Does it grab you? Is it too disjointed? Brute honesty welcome! Thanks in advance:

The Cadaver Knight:

Mikel Rhonson, the Cadaver Knight, the most feared warrior in Frindoth, is now a lost soul. The love of his life Anastas was sacrificed at the Ritual of the Stones and now Mikel is distraught with grief and plagued by the guilt he feels over how he treated her in her final days.

Why did he let his guard down and dare to believe he could be happy?

When Mikel discovers a group of former soldiers who have turned rogue and are capturing and abusing women, Mikel finds the reason he needs to focus his rage and punish these so called Knights of Justice. However, the Knights of Justice are unlike any men Mikel has ever encountered; using magic to bewitch their victims.

Mikel is in a dark place, but he will have to go darker still if he is to conquer the Knights of Justice. It may just be too much for the Cadaver Knight to recover from.

Good afternoon all,

I'm once again after your valid opinions. I have recently finished my fourth book and am about to publish. Would any of you be kind enough to give an opinion on the blurb below please? Does it grab you? Is it too disjointed? Brute honesty welcome! Thanks in advance:

The Cadaver Knight:

Mikel Rhonson, the Cadaver Knight, the most feared warrior in Frindoth, is now a lost soul. The love of his life Anastas was sacrificed at the Ritual of the Stones and now Mikel is distraught with grief and plagued by the guilt he feels over how he treated her in her final days.

When Mikel discovers a group of former soldiers who have turned rogue and are capturing and abusing women, Mikel finds the reason he needs to focus his rage and punish these so called Knights of Justice. However, the Knights of Justice are unlike any men Mikel has ever encountered; using magic to bewitch their victims.

Mikel is in a dark place, but he will have to go darker still if he is to conquer the Knights of Justice. It may just be too much for the Cadaver Knight to recover from.

I think it's pretty good but I think you could make a few minor changes.

The Cadaver Knight:

When Mikel discovers a group of former soldiers who have turned rogue and are capturing and abusing women, Mikel finds the reason he needs to focus his rage and punish these so-called Knights of Justice. However, the Knights of Justice are unlike any men Mikel has ever encountered; using magic to bewitch their victims.

Good afternoon all,

The Cadaver Knight:

I'd make a few tweaks.

The Cadaver Knight:

Mikel Rhonson, the feared Cadaver Knight, is now a lost soul. The love of his life, Anastas, was sacrificed (insert brief description, ilke 'a religious ritual,' the name Ritual of Stones won't mean anything to the reader at this point), and now Mikel is distraught with grief and plagued by the guilt he feels over how he treated her in her final days. Why did he let his guard down and dare to believe he could be happy?

But when Mikel discovers the Knights of Justice, a group of soldiers who have turned rogue and are capturing and abusing women, he finds (a reason to live/something to focus his rage on), and sets out to punish them. However, the Knights of Justice are unlike any men Mikel has ever encountered; the magic they use bewitch their victims (is unlike anything he has ever encountered/might be more than he can handle).

Mikel is in a dark place, but he will have to go darker still if he is to conquer the Knights of Justice. And it may just be too much for the Cadaver Knight to recover from.

(I found the fact that Knights of Justice was written in italics distracting, but maybe that's just me. I hope this helps, good luck).

Archived