Boarders Writing A Novel: Part 13

Kyoshi

I liked it. The last line was a bit confusing, but I assume there's a greater context I'm not aware of.

The last line is the subject of authorial flip-flopping on whether or not the boy's name should appear in this sequence, further complicated by the fact that his name isn't overly masculine. It appears to be a trade off between showing Elone's guilt/awareness of him and confusing everyone with the sudden appearance of the boy's name, Grace (short for Grayson). 

Inspired Quill is open for submissions until the end of August if anyone's currently looking. The submission form is here, you don't need an agent and they'll take most genres (but the usual caveats about reading the submission guidelines apply).

Now that my duties as a loyal(ish) minion are done I can get back to writing.

The last line is the subject of authorial flip-flopping on whether or not the boy's name should appear in this sequence, further complicated by the fact that his name isn't overly masculine. It appears to be a trade off between showing Elone's guilt/awareness of him and confusing everyone with the sudden appearance of the boy's name, Grace (short for Grayson). 

You could always give him the nickname "Gray" instead, if you're looking for a more masculine short-form. :)

Inspired Quill is open for submissions until the end of August if anyone's currently looking. The submission form is here, you don't need an agent and they'll take most genres (but the usual caveats about reading the submission guidelines apply).

Now that my duties as a loyal(ish) minion are done I can get back to writing.

Cheers. Now to knock 5k off...

You could always give him the nickname "Gray" instead, if you're looking for a more masculine short-form. :)

I've considered it but it doesn't really fit him and I've been calling him Grace for five years now, I might just pull his name from that scene and save it until we meet him properly and the Grace-Grayson correlation can be explained.

Cheers. Now to knock 5k off...

5k in one month sounds doable to me, Good luck.

To clarify - I wasn't talking about writing 5k, I was talking about cutting 5k from my existing work to get it under the word limit. I've already cut 3k these past days.

That's always extremely hard.

However, THE RULES OF SUPERVILLAINY was considered mediocre by all of my beta-readers when I first wrote it.

Then I cut about 5,000 words and jumped straight to the action.

Quite a few reviews have mentioned they liked skipping the "origin story" element and jumping to the action.

So yeah, the key to writing is not just creating but learning how to delete, I've found.

I STILL struggle with that.

That's always extremely hard.

However, THE RULES OF SUPERVILLAINY was considered mediocre by all of my beta-readers when I first wrote it.

Then I cut about 5,000 words and jumped straight to the action.

Quite a few reviews have mentioned they liked skipping the "origin story" element and jumping to the action.

So yeah, the key to writing is not just creating but learning how to delete, I've found.

I STILL struggle with that.

Don't we all. :P

I'm currently working on a re-structured introduction to my novel, because I'm about 30k in now and none of the action has even started yet. Gotta figure out the best way to speed things up in the most logical and satisfying way I can. The thing is I LOVE all of the events that need to happen in order to set up the novel but they have dragged on for far too long.

So I am revising a book I wrote and it's around 60,000 words. Is that too short? Should I add 10,000 words or give it a go? I kind of like the length but most things I've read said books should be around 70,000. It's a horror novel. Vampires and stuff. I don't think it needs to be super long or anything.

So I am revising a book I wrote and it's around 60,000 words. Is that too short? Should I add 10,000 words or give it a go? I kind of like the length but most things I've read said books should be around 70,000. It's a horror novel. Vampires and stuff. I don't think it needs to be super long or anything.

Well Inspired Quill takes books over 55k but it'll depend on who you're submitting to, adding 10k only works if you have 10k worth of plot to go with it. 

Sailor to a Siren was originally 65K. It went to 86K with the addition of another layer of disasters. I'd consider 60K to be a bit light for adult fiction.

My last manuscript was 63k, and I am pretty sure that was the reason I had almost zero success querying. So if you're trying to go the trad route through an agent, I wouldn't recommend trying with 60k. For small presses or self-pub, sure.

Archived