Davos' Reaction?! Spoiled from the show...

AryaBaratheon

Stannis clearly sent Davos off to the Wall to keep him in the dark about Shireen's burning for as long as possible... How do you think Davos will take it? His loyalty to Stannis may be as steadfast as they come, but this isn't going to sit with Davos. He adores the girl, and is disgusted at the idea of sacrificing innocent children.

IMHO, Davos is definitely going to abandon Stannis for this. But who will benefit from his defection? Which leader will he align with? Will he go all vengeful & rage monster, as I suspect Tormund will after Jon's murder? Thoughts?

Edited for typo.

The books have set us up for a possible reason for Davos to find his loyalties swayed Stark-wards. The show has set us up for a possible reason why Davos might find his loyalties sways away from Stannis. Put the two together? Maybe.

I don't know if Davos is going to abandon Stannis for this, but it's going to make him a lot more questioning of Stannis at the very least. Now as this is the DwD thread rather than a show thread, let's take it back to the books. Some people think the show is just getting ahead of the books, other people think that the show is over-simplifying to Stannis' detriment and that it will be Melisandre who sacrifices Shireen, without Stannis' approval. I'm not sure this matters much. If the latter theory is correct and it's all Melisandre, how will Stannis react? Will he have her put to death for killing his daughter? Anything less than that would be likely to be inexcusable in Davos' eyes.

Davos as of the end of aDwD is off looking for Rickon. By the time he's back in the thick of things, it seems likely that Shireen will be dead, and Davos will not be happy. My reading of Davos' character is that he'd never quite be able to blame Stannis for this, but he does believe that Stannis is suffering from a negative influence in Melisandre and there may be a point where that influence tips the balance, a point that Davos sees Stannis as being a lost cause. Would that mean he'd find himself on the side of House Stark? I'm not so sure. Davos simplifies things, and makes them personal. He's on Team Stannis because he idolises Stannis, not because he believes in the cause. For him to truly "defect", it seems to me he'd need a new idol. Not just a reason to abandon Stannis, but also a reason to look somewhere else.

My guess then -- Davos will be caught up in the flow of events rather than dictating them. He will not change sides in his own mind, but he will become very willing to question the right of Stannis' individual actions rather than his abstract cause, and willing, if the situation is right, to act against Stannis' will if he thinks it's the way Stannis might have acted without Melisandre's influence. The beneficiaries of this will be House Stark almost by accident. I think it'll be very telling to see whether the show hooks him up with Osha and Rickon next season, or whether Sansa ends up with him, or neither.

Who does Stannis love best in all the world? Shireen, that's the only reason she will burn, Shireen is his Nissa Nissa.

Stannis will burn her for the good of the realm, I doubt he would burn her to get rid of a little snow (as a Northerner would say).

Archived