A+J=T v.5

UnmaskedLurker

Question for the believers:

Is there anyone alive who knows or suspects A+J=T? I could see it being true but never confirmed.

Maybe Tyrion guesses He is Aerys son because he's able to mount a dragon and decides like others in the past have that he must be part Targ to do it?

Or maybe someone else really does know? Any thoughts on who that would be and how it will come about?

Mithras,

well, I assume you know, too, considering what else you know.

Doran could know, too, come to think of it, if Prince Lewyn knew and talked about it. Pycelle may have known.

while I admit that there are clues that this is a possibility I still say it undermines the heart of the tywin and tyrion relationship. can't remember who said it but there is a line about how tyrion is truly tywin's son.

Undermining the heart of the Tyrion-Tywin relationship is an entirely subjective interpretation. If this theory turns out to be true then that comment by Genna will turn out to be a nice bit of dramatic irony - that Tyrion who is most like Tywin in terms of personality is not actually his biological child. Kind of like the irony we get with Jon - "Bastards are not allowed to damage young princes", "He had the Stark face if not the name: long, solemn, guarded, a face that gave nothing away. Whoever his mother had been, she had left little of herself in her son."

Mithras,

well, I assume you know, too, considering what else you know.

Doran could know, too, come to think of it, if Prince Lewyn knew and talked about it. Pycelle may have known.

Patchface knows too.

Basic writing 101 is that the author creates character plots and arc's that the reader is able to understand and enjoy. Part of being able to critically examine any fiction is the discussion of those arc's and how the author fulfills them. So the arc of Tyrion being the one child that Tywin hates and regularly treats like crap being the child that is most like him and most able to fulfill the desires that Tywin has makes sense. If the arc is that Tywin hates Tyrion and doesn't consider him to be his "true" child and then that being true doesn't work on the same level.

And here's another issue: what seems more likely, that GRRM planted clues that two main character's are secretly Targ's but only one of is or that GRRM actually had two "main" characters turn out to be secret Targ's? My vote is that only one of the "obvious" secret Targ's turn out to be true. Based of that assumption (and I admit it's an assumption) which theory has the most weight behind it or makes the most sense form a character arc point of view, Jon or Tyrion? I'd vote Jon.

Just MHO

Basic writing 101 is that the author creates character plots and arc's that the reader is able to understand and enjoy. Part of being able to critically examine any fiction is the discussion of those arc's and how the author fulfills them. So the arc of Tyrion being the one child that Tywin hates and regularly treats like crap being the child that is most like him and most able to fulfill the desires that Tywin has makes sense. If the arc is that Tywin hates Tyrion and doesn't consider him to be his "true" child and then that being true doesn't work on the same level.

And here's another issue: what seems more likely, that GRRM planted clues that two main character's are secretly Targ's but only one of is or that GRRM actually had two "main" characters turn out to be secret Targ's? My vote is that only one of the "obvious" secret Targ's turn out to be true. Based of that assumption (and I admit it's an assumption) which theory has the most weight behind it or makes the most sense form a character arc point of view, Jon or Tyrion? I'd vote Jon.
Just MHO

But only jon IS a targ, not simply s bastard as he always believed he was. Whereas Tyrion is just a bastard, and no true LANNISTER, which is what he always believed he was. They are mirrors of each other, not the same tale.

As for Tywin: How much sharper is the irony if in fact the child who is most like him, only carries Lannister blood through his mother? It's a classic nurture vs nature debate. Tywin would hate and resent him just as much for seeing the traits he is proud of in himself in Tyrions' "malformed" body whether he's related by blood

Ilyn Payne. That's the real reason he lost his tongue.

It would add to Aerys' order to have his tongue getting ripped out.

And... by the way, it's a Payne who serves Tyrion before getting to Brienne. Podrick.

But only jon IS a targ, not simply s bastard as he always believed he was. Whereas Tyrion is just a bastard, and no true LANNISTER, which is what he always believed he was. They are mirrors of each other, not the same tale.

As for Tywin: How much sharper is the irony if in fact the child who is most like him, only carries Lannister blood through his mother? It's a classic nurture vs nature debate. Tywin would hate and resent him just as much for seeing the traits he is proud of in himself in Tyrions' "malformed" body whether he's related by blood

You are right. Sorry I mistyped. The idea of one "main" character having hidden parentage is a good twist...but two? three? It's just not good writing. It's ok to have clues to a bunch of character's having hidden parentage, to keep readers guessing, but I just don't see there being more than one person with a hidden parentage. So again, working of that assumption...which character makes the MOST sense? 

Reading CoK and found this pretty big hint that Tyrion is the child of Aerys; 

TYrion is talking to Hallyne about the wildfire and Hallyne says this; 

So Hallyne's grandfather told King Jahaerys, and Hallyne's father told King Aerys, and now Hallyne is telling Tyrion......... see the pattern?

Nice!

Question for the believers:

Is there anyone alive who knows or suspects A+J=T? I could see it being true but never confirmed.

Maybe Tyrion guesses He is Aerys son because he's able to mount a dragon and decides like others in the past have that he must be part Targ to do it?

Or maybe someone else really does know? Any thoughts on who that would be and how it will come about?

I think there could be  more people in westeros suspecting A+J=T than R+L=J. Everything was hazy during the war, ruling side had a story about Rhaegar, not much was known about the nature of Stark family members. If even Yandel cannot stop himself from mentioning the 'purported' affair between Aerys and Joanna, more people would have guessed or liked to think of Tyrion as Aerys's bastard, simply out of spite towards Tywin. Of course, no one would voice it aloud, especially in a Lannister-era of power.

Archived