11 Reasons to Read the Books

Westeros

:bowdown: I agree with all your reasons, but especially 4, 5 and 10.

It's beginning to anger me how two talentless fools ever got access to adapting a series which they have no business even being anywhere near. Jon XII and Jon XIII were absolute brilliance, and were utterly destroyed by the hacks and their underlings.

It angers me as well. Apparently they had no experience with directing movies or shows. The reason they got it was because the geniuses figured out R+L=J, the most widely known theory.

If someone asked me if they should read the books, I would tell them that the series isn't finished, isn't likely to ever be finished, and to start out with the show because it is a smaller investment of time. If they like the show, then they should read the first three books. If they really like those books, then they should read the forth and fifth ones, but they just need to lower their expectations appropriately for those.

Of course if someone doesn't care if a series is done yet, then read away.

The biggest problem the writers seem to be running into this past season, is they have forgotten this is a character driven story. When they remove characters or combine traits or put people in strange places doing nothing, it upsets the chemistry we as readers/watchers develop with the actors in those roles. Replacing Jeyne with Sansa because they wanted her in the North with the Boltons resulted in a backlash that is still being felt.

Yes, GRRM writes too many side characters into this story. Yes, a great deal of the books' appeal is the richness of his descriptions and world building sections. Stripping them away for television sake changes the expectation of the Unsullied and with good reason. Mel shouldn't have left Castle Black, so they have her racing across the North on Skippy the time traveling wonder horse, just so she can be where she's needed at the right moment. Of course, if she hadn't left, Shireen would be alive...or wait, she is in the books.

I deeply pray that GRRM gets hopping on those last pages and the WoW comes out before Season 6 starts. Otherwise the deviation from source material is only going to rile people even more than they already are!

people that are angry about the changes just goes to show what happens when there is no source material. the show must go on so beware book readers if that is your only source get ready to get spoiled...the show will surpass the books by epi 3 or 4 of season 6....

just sayin'

:smoking:

• 2 weeks later...

Great article, though I think the TV show helps visualize the different places of the novels.

I think they messed up Winterfell though. In the books it's an impressive noble castle heated internally by hot water piped from geothermal springs, and has glasshouses growing beautiful flowers like blue winter roses. In the show it looks like a cold dirty barn next to some stables.

• 2 weeks later...

:bowdown: I agree with all your reasons, but especially 4, 5 and 10.It angers me as well. Apparently they had no experience with directing movies or shows. The reason they got it was because the geniuses figured out R+L=J, the most widely known theory.

How come the fine veteran actors on the show say they took a part because of the writing?

How come the fine veteran actors on the show say they took a part because of the writing?

Do they get scripts to read before they sign on? Who said this, if you don't mind my asking...

• 2 weeks later...

I think Charles Dance said it.

To also add I started with the show and then read the books, I enjoy both the books for me are an expanded version of the show. I also know friends who started with the books but now prefer the show because of the pacing of AFFC/ADWD seriously put them off.

i`m always for reading books but i do not recommend reading ASOIAF, it`s better to just watch GOT and read some other books that are actually finished.

i have made mistake of reading ASOIAF books after season 4 and instead of answers got more questions and unwittingly  joined "the waiting club"

I remember watching my dad read. He had a library of paper back books. Used to be a sign of education to have packs bookcases. Now my educational Progress is marked by printed certificates from online classes. I think the (paper) book publishing companies need to accept the truth. They need to adapt to the modern eclimate or falter. Printed books are becoming outdated. Instead of trying to remarket & ask for video enforcements they need to accept the product life cycle is almost over. And when that happens, you're supposed to drop the pricing. Did you know that most paper recycling facilities don't accept paper back books? And yes I've read the books. From the library, & I was given the last 2 for Xmas. It's just a dying medium. You're video was nice though.

i`m always for reading books but i do not recommend reading ASOIAF, it`s better to just watch GOT and read some other books that are actually finished.
i have made mistake of reading ASOIAF books after season 4 and instead of answers got more questions and unwittingly  joined "the waiting club"

I also regret reading asoiaf. Unfinished. It's bugged me since I finished the last published book last summer. 😡. I've always found writing the ending is the easiest part. If you're the author. You should know exactly where everything's going and you should be drooling to get it into the paper. It's frustrating.

Archived