Why haven't Jaime and Cersei become estranged on the show?

JohnathanSnew

As many of you will know, Jaime and Cersei have what is essentially a break-up in AFFC. GRRM himself descibes them as currently "estranged".

My question is, why haven't they had this plotline in the show yet?

I gotta admit, I was looking forward to seeing Jaime burn Cersei's letter on the show, but instead they appear to still be together.

Something seems...odd about it.

Them being "estranged" could easily happen once he gets back to court now that Myrcella is dead... Cersei will freak out, blame Jamie for not protecting her properly, send him away, etc...

Edit: Hopefully this will lead to him going out in search of a more interesting TV plotline.

If I were being dramatic, I'd say because D&D apparently love Cersei and hate Jaime for some reason.

Seriously, though, it's ridiculous that they're putting all the anger on Cersei's side when he's the one who is supposed to be pissed at her, and at himself for the things he's done for her. And now she's probably going to be absolutely murderous toward him when she finds out he has failed to save yet another of their children. It's backwards.

Maybe Myrcella's death will be the catalyst for their break-up, but since they left out the Valonqar (which I suspect will be Jaime) prophecy, who knows? I was also looking forward to a scene in which Jaime burning Cersei's letter. I hope they split on the show, it would make Jaime's plot more interesting. He had basically nothing to do in S05.

If I were being dramatic, I'd say because D&D apparently love Cersei and hate Jaime for some reason.

Seriously, though, it's ridiculous that they're putting all the anger on Cersei's side when he's the one who is supposed to be pissed at her, and at himself for the things he's done for her. And now she's probably going to be absolutely murderous toward him when she finds out he has failed to save yet another of their children. It's backwards.

There is plenty of time for Jaime to get pissed in Season 6. Cersei will fully turn on him and the show will likely use that all as the catalyst for their split as others have said.

The show also may have been waiting for Cersei's turn to madness to occur after her walk of shame. Not sure if she will be the demure shell of her former self as she is in the books (although even in the books one wonders if she's not just putting on the act everyone around her wants to see from her, a humbled soul. But c'mon, do we really buy that?? Nah). We'll see, they can take it a lot of different directions, there is enough to play with in the source material and show precedence.

Jaime didn't know about Cersei's extramarital fun with Lancel before... Now that Cersei has confessed, the moment Jaime's ship reaches King's Landing, he'll know as well.

In addition to Jaime being disillusioned with Cersei finally, I suspect Cersei will rage about Myrcella. They will become just as estranged as they are in the books at the start of Season 6.

I see that people here think Jaime = Valonquar, but I don't think that's the case. I just think that Jaime won't be bailing Cersei out anymore. He doesn't need to kill her, and I don't think it makes sense anyway since he only has one hand (the prophecy says "hands", not to mention the valonquar part was totally skipped in the TV show). The Hound will be her valonquar due to CLEGANEBOWL, GET HYPE!!!! :commie: :commie: :commie:

They had Tyrion and Jaime depart on good terms which was a joke.

In the show they keep doing things backwards and the plot suffers. Stannis is an fanatical incompetent military general who's troops hold no loyalty towards him, Roose/Ramsey are expert tacticians whose men/bannermen are devote to their cause. Complete opposite from how they are portrayed in the book.

Jaime didn't know about Cersei's extramarital fun with Lancel before... Now that Cersei has confessed, the moment Jaime's ship reaches King's Landing, he'll know as well.

In addition to Jaime being disillusioned with Cersei finally, I suspect Cersei will rage about Myrcella. They will become just as estranged as they are in the books at the start of Season 6.

I see that people here think Jaime = Valonquar, but I don't think that's the case. I just think that Jaime won't be bailing Cersei out anymore. He doesn't need to kill her, and I don't think it makes sense anyway since he only has one hand (the prophecy says "hands", not to mention the valonquar part was totally skipped in the TV show). The Hound will be her valonquar due to CLEGANEBOWL, GET HYPE!!!! :commie: :commie: :commie:

This makes so much sense because they skipped the Tyrion/Jamie/Kettleblacks/Moonboy scene.

Spot on and clear why they've been waiting for the Full Schism.

Edit: wait extrapolate on cleaganebowl pls?

That makes sense only..

Since they reintroduces Lancel as early as episode one couldn’t they have had him confess his sins to Jaime?

When it first aired I assumed Jaime's rape of Cersei was going to be the show's catalyst for their split. Then of course I was reminded the show's writers can't handle anything on that emotional level, and we ended Season 4 with Cersei giving her rapist a blowjob.

Arguably they were begin to split at the start of Season 5, what with Cersei's anger over Tyrion and Tywin. That said, Myrcella's death has got to be the final straw, especially with Cersei's mind now even more warped towards revenge against everyone.

But when Jaime gets back to King's Landing, he will be arrested. Cersei will be tried for the accusations laid out by the High Sparrow and one of them is sleeping with Jaime. She did not confess to it, but the High Sparrow said that the Gods will decide. Or Mother's Mercy. So if they are both in prison, and so are the forgotten Margery and Loras, it will make very boring viewing indeed. Or possibly D&D will just forget about this plotline.

But when Jaime gets back to King's Landing, he will be arrested. Cersei will be tried for the accusations laid out by the High Sparrow and one of them is sleeping with Jaime. She did not confess to it, but the High Sparrow said that the Gods will decide. Or Mother's Mercy. So if they are both in prison, and so are the forgotten Margery and Loras, it will make very boring viewing indeed. Or possibly D&D will just forget about this plotline.

Umm, yeah... Cause it's going to be so easy to apprehend the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, who is hanging out with the most dangerous sellsword we know of, especially now that the kingsguard he commands includes such easygoing guys like Ser Robert Strong... And the Red Keep is manned with hundreds of Kevan's Lannister guards (we already saw some during the end of Cersei's walk).

What they have done to Jaime since Season 3 makes me sick. They took one of the most interesting characters played by one of the best actors on the show and gave him absolute garbage for the past two seasons. I legitimately feel bad for NCW. They have neutered his character. All of the edge, the wit, the personality have been completely removed and what we are left with is a boring stick in the mud. Instead of having these past two seasons focus on his quest to regain some sense of honor and purpose, they decided to have him throw the White Book across the room and then go on a little field trip to the desert.

What they have done to Jaime since Season 3 makes me sick. They took one of the most interesting characters played by one of the best actors on the show and gave him absolute garbage for the past two seasons. I legitimately feel bad for NCW. They have neutered his character. All of the edge, the wit, the personality have been completely removed and what we are left with is a boring stick in the mud. Instead of having these past two seasons focus on his quest to regain some sense of honor and purpose, they decided to have him throw the White Book across the room and then go on a little field trip to the desert.

That's what makes it so sad remember the bathtub scene ncw nailed it like most of his material before season 4 but because d&do think Jaime is a "monster" he rapes cersei who he loves still without realising how fucked up she is then going to somewhere im not going to call dorne because no it wasnt.

Archived