Penny Dreadful III: Be my Little Scorpion [spoilers]

Ramsay B.

I'm not sure why only 9 episodes (though, that's only one less than previous so it's not a huge difference) but maybe Logan has a story that he feels can be told in 9 instead of 10 (and that's nice for budgetary reasons) and doesn't feel like they need that extra one episode (which might be filler if he was forced to write another episode)

I'm not sure why only 9 episodes (though, that's only one less than previous so it's not a huge difference) but maybe Logan has a story that he feels can be told in 9 instead of 10 (and that's nice for budgetary reasons) and doesn't feel like they need that extra one episode (which might be filler if he was forced to write another episode)

Possibly. I'm not really sure how these things work, does Logan apply to showtime to renew for x amount of episodes and they decide whether they will or not? If someone more knowledgeable could explain... :)

Your idea sounds plausible though.

ETA:

Someone said in the previous thread how it was a bit of a cop out having Vanessa open the book for such a small matter. I think that was kind of the point of that. It was her embracing that dark side of her, despite the warnings from Ethan. She was desperate to take revenge against an appalling man who: a) tried to rape her, and b) had her mentor, her friend, her maternal figure, burned alive while she watched. Vanessa isn't physically strong, so she turns to the means she has at her disposal to take her revenge, without regard to the consequences.

On another note, somewhere else I read that the lightning storm (wow, that was gorgeously shot btw) was almost a living force sent against Ethan and Vanessa to keep them apart - I.e. Lucifer trying to interfere...not sure what I think of that, but it's an interesting idea to ponder

love the thread title btw :thumbsup:

Holy moly....6 hours?!

Nice to know they are drawing from the 1930s. I think having Ethan transform in a more Hollywood-of-today feel would be....too modern for Penny Dreadful. I mean this is a show that enjoys its classic horror movies and ye olde horror stories.

Holy moly....6 hours?!

Nice to know they are drawing from the 1930s. I think having Ethan transform in a more Hollywood-of-today feel would be....too modern for Penny Dreadful. I mean this is a show that enjoys its classic horror movies and ye olde horror stories.

Do you have FB? If you do give their page a like, they post all this stuff, plus some really nice photos and stuff

Someone said in the previous thread how it was a bit of a cop out having Vanessa open the book for such a small matter. I think that was kind of the point of that. It was her embracing that dark side of her, despite the warnings from Ethan. She was desperate to take revenge against an appalling man who: a) tried to rape her, and b) had her mentor, her friend, her maternal figure, burned alive while she watched. Vanessa isn't physically strong, so she turns to the means she has at her disposal to take her revenge, without regard to the consequences.

On another note, somewhere else I read that the lightning storm (wow, that was gorgeously shot btw) was almost a living force sent against Ethan and Vanessa to keep them apart - I.e. Lucifer trying to interfere...not sure what I think of that, but it's an interesting idea to ponder

love the thread title btw :thumbsup:

Makes sense, I was a bit surprised she turned to the book at first but she obviously does need all the help she can get. I mean, she has to embrace her dark side sooner or later and that fucker did make a direct threat to her after doing all those horrible things in years past.

When the lightning first happened I had basically the same thought because what are the odds of it happening at that exact moment, at that exact place? Kali is nervous about Ethan so I can see Lucifer not wanting them together.

Do you have FB? If you do give their page a like, they post all this stuff, plus some really nice photos and stuff

*goes forth to like page*

Possibly. I'm not really sure how these things work, does Logan apply to showtime to renew for x amount of episodes and they decide whether they will or not? If someone more knowledgeable could explain... :)

Your idea sounds plausible though.

ETA:

Someone said in the previous thread how it was a bit of a cop out having Vanessa open the book for such a small matter. I think that was kind of the point of that. It was her embracing that dark side of her, despite the warnings from Ethan. She was desperate to take revenge against an appalling man who: a) tried to rape her, and B) had her mentor, her friend, her maternal figure, burned alive while she watched. Vanessa isn't physically strong, so she turns to the means she has at her disposal to take her revenge, without regard to the consequences.

I totally agree. If Vanessa had opened it in the most dire of situations, when it was really warranted, then it wouldn't be "welcome to the darkness" it would be doing the right thing and it's like Logan says in the above lined video: PD is about the monster within (that darkness that Vanessa is constantly battling) not the monsters without.

*goes forth to like page*

I totally agree. If Vanessa had opened it in the most dire of situations, when it was really warranted, then it wouldn't be "welcome to the darkness" it would be doing the right thing and it's like Logan says in the above lined video: PD is about the monster within (that darkness that Vanessa is constantly battling) not the monsters without.

There were other ways to take revenge on the douche. Since she's supposed to be in hiding from the witches and avoiding becoming the Devil's bride, it seems to me using that book that requires speaking the Devil's tongue is like sending out a flare.

Why bother with all the shit she and the rest of them have been through if she's willing to embrace her dark side? Might as well marry ol' Satan and have him do the smiling.

Might as

There were other ways to take revenge on the douche. Since she's supposed to be in hiding from the witches and avoiding becoming the Devil's bride, it seems to me using that book that requires speaking the Devil's tongue is like sending out a flare.

Why bother with all the shit she and the rest of them have been through if she's willing to embrace her dark side? Might as well marry ol' Satan and have him do the smiling.

Might as

But it's like she tells Ethan: There are times when she just wants to embrace it; it's easier. It would mean an end to her internal torment. Giving in would mean that she wouldn't be so tortured. Taking the book off the shelf and opening it was the easy thing to do, but not the right thing to do. She's willing to embrace the darkness in that moment but that doesn't mean she should. She has a choice to make: the easy way or the right way. And that's why Ethan reminds her that if she gives in, she'll lose her soul.

Nice it got renewed

So if Vanessa and Ethan don't hook up this season we'll have another whole season to wait them out and stuff.

Watched the latest ep again I can't believe Vanessa wasted that book on petty revenge. Yeah she cared about the cut wife but its not like she couldn't have done what Ethan was gonna do since she has expert marksman skills apparently(I love that she knows how to shoot like a pro)

Give Sembele his very own episode Logan

But it's like she tells Ethan: There are times when she just wants to embrace it; it's easier. It would mean an end to her internal torment. Giving in would mean that she wouldn't be so tortured. Taking the book off the shelf and opening it was the easy thing to do, but not the right thing to do. She's willing to embrace the darkness in that moment but that doesn't mean she should. She has a choice to make: the easy way or the right way. And that's why Ethan reminds her that if she gives in, she'll lose her soul.

I don't expect Vanessa and the rest to be perfect, certainly- but to me, the circumstances weren't strong enough given what she was risking and what she's trying to prevent, that she gave in too easily for someone who spent last season dealing with vampires and being possessed by her would-be-suitor and got through it, relatively speaking.

I just think for her to start giving in now by killing Lord whatsisname was a flimsy way to get her on that path (further?).

However, I do think the speech Ethan made was awesome though.

Holy moly....6 hours?!

I do feel that the 6 hours prepping Ethan for his werewolf scenes is time wasted right now, as in the shots we've had he is hardly visible...but oh well. Watched the blood ball video and it sounds like a hell of a lot of work went into that. Apparently they'd been working on it since the end of season one

Might as

But that is the whole point, she does have that temptation to give in to her dark side at times. The scene of her and Ethan in the woods after their kiss-oh-wait-not-quite scene highlights this. And it just so happens that taking revenge for her murdered mentor/friend/motherly figure is enough to push her temptation to the limits. The book was obviously playing on her mind since she arrived at the cottage, and this was enough to break her resolve.

As for 'other means' well that's a fair point I suppose. But I guess shooting someone would be difficult for her to go through with (the whole eye contact thing). I dunno really though.

Did anyone else catch the "Too much salt." Line btw? I thought that was really nice touch

Nice it got renewed

So if Vanessa and Ethan don't hook up this season we'll have another whole season to wait them out and stuff.

Watched the latest ep again I can't believe Vanessa wasted that book on petty revenge. Yeah she cared about the cut wife but its not like she couldn't have done what Ethan was gonna do since she has expert marksman skills apparently(I love that she knows how to shoot like a pro)

Give Sembele his very own episode Logan

If she didn't do it herself and got Ethan, either by explicitly asking or implicitly demanding, to kill for her it'd be worse than her doing it herself. What I took from the scene was Vanessa knowing what Ethan had stormed off to do and deciding to do it before he could get the chance. It was actually kinda cool and selfless and I thought it worked.

But that is the whole point, she does have that temptation to give in to her dark side at times. The scene of her and Ethan in the woods after their kiss-oh-wait-not-quite scene highlights this. And it just so happens that taking revenge for her murdered mentor/friend/motherly figure is enough to push her temptation to the limits. The book was obviously playing on her mind since she arrived at the cottage, and this was enough to break her resolve.

As for 'other means' well that's a fair point I suppose. But I guess shooting someone would be difficult for her to go through with (the whole eye contact thing). I dunno really though.

Did anyone else catch the "Too much salt." Line btw? I thought that was really nice touch

I get the point. What I'm trying to say is that I find the demonstration of that point forced and flimsy for reasons I've already mentioned.

Yeah, I caught the "too much salt" line also.

Archived