Acrophobia #18 - The Grave Epitaph, Won by Emmit!

Fragile Bird

Welcome to Acrophobia #18.

As ever, we express our gratitude to Emmit for bringing this wonderful yet frustrating game to the forum. :P

As fans of A Song of Ice and Fire know, life in Westeros and the lands to the east can be short and brutal. Many characters, both beloved and hated, have met the grim reaper, many under circumstances where no opportunity for formal grieving can take place.

Let us honour the dead here, then, and put up virtual monuments to their memories. Let us write some appropriate words of farewell on those headstones, or statues, or grave markers, words that might bring a tear to the eye, words from loving spouses and children, words from rivals or enemies, words from Anon.

Here are the rules:

1. There will be 7 rounds.
Entries must only contain words that begin with the letters the Acronym provided; therefore, you may not stick in a word like a, the, of, and, etc or &, @. to make your answer make sense. Players will be asked to re-submit their answer if this happens. However, punctuation may be used, which may help increase meaning.

2. Deadlines for each round will be detailed as each round arrives. I will always give 48 hours at the very least. I will also continue with yomi's system of accepting entries after the deadline but not give late entrants their point for submitting. Deadlines may be extended, since the players in this game tend to be forgetful. :P

3. Entries should be PM'd me, your host, Fragile Bird. Please title your PM Acrophobia 18 - <insert your Board Name> and keep all communication to one thread so the host's inbox does not reach overload.
You may edit/change your entry until the submissions window is closed, just be sure to let me know in a new reply.

4. When all submissions are in, I will post them on this thread.
Entries are to be anonymous, so don't reveal which is your entry. Revealed entries will be disqualified.

5. Players will then have ~72hours to vote for their favorite entry.
Please vote in thread by putting your favorite entry first, preceded by the numeral 1. Then put your second choice preceded by the numeral 2. Finally put your third ranked entry third, preceded by the numeral 3. Please bold your selections and include the submissions number (each round each submission will be numbered).

For example:

1. <Submission #> Best
2. <Submission #> Second best
3. <Submission #> Third best

Depending on the number of entries, there may be 4 or even 5 submission votes.

You may not, of course, vote for your own entry.
You may change your vote up until the voting window closes by editing your original voting post.

6. After Round 1 submissions are over, voting and the submissions for a new round will run simultaneously.

7. Points will be awarded as follows:
1 point for a submission
1 point for voting
3 points for someone choosing your answer as their top choice
2 points for someone choosing your answer as their second choice
1 point for someone choosing your answer as their third choice and any additional places
4 points for having the answer with the most 1st place votes
Points will be added across the 7 rounds and the person with the most points will be the winner

8. Acrophobes, seasoned and green alike, may join at any time, both during the submission and voting.

Previous Acrophobia games their winners. Well worth a browse if you're new to the game (sadly, games 1-6 appear to have been deleted). Rather than repeat the whole list, I'll provide a link to the last game (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/128639-acrophobia-17-singular-protagonist-titles-results-in/page-1) and the last 5 games:

Acrophobia #13: Seasons // Ser Not Appearing

Acrophobia #14: Travelling Essos // Fragile Bird

Acrophobia #15: Dear Diary // Woofless

Acrophobia #16: Updated House Words // Lord Lyman

Acrophobia #17: Singular Protagonist Titles // a shadow

I recommend following the thread so you don't miss out on anything.

ROUND ONE

It seems appropriate to start this game with the first death in the book. Ser Waymar Royce, an arrogant young lordling of only 18 or 19, foolishly ignored wiser words from a more experienced ranger and had the misfortune to have a run-in with a group of Others, who made short shrift of him.

Of course, Waymar didn't stay 'dead' for very long, being turned into a wight shortly after his death, but he did die.

Here lies SER WAYMAR ROYCE ...

Your acronym is ABLAVCUG

The deadline for Round One is Saturday, June 20th, at 10:00 pm EST

Good luck!

Hello all, since Sniffer is not free yet, I would like to try my hand. I will let him help me alittle, but am interested in trying my hand at this. If thart is alright with you all.

i PM'd you , Fragile Bird

Welcome SWMBO. Hope you enjoy the game.

Do keep us posted on the wellbeing of the 'sniffer and his quest for freedom!

Welcome SWMBO. Hope you enjoy the game.

Do keep us posted on the wellbeing of the 'sniffer and his quest for freedom!

I will and thanks for the welcome.

He has been walking this morning, without too much cussing. Physical therapists were encouraged. I suspect he thinks if he walks around he might be able to slip out for a smoke, but no luck. He believes it is a conspiracy. And in this circumstance he is right.

Question - since these are for grave stones, they should basically be positive about the character then? Like, you wouldn't say someone was a coward or something on their grave even if they clearly were? I was thinking that any criticism should be ironical or tongue-in-cheek, not outright but wasn't sure. Thanks!

Btw, I've been helping my brother clean house all day, his wife has been in Europe for a couple of months visiting her elderly mother (her dad died last year), so I'm just getting caught up on your PMs.

Some great entries so far!

Question - since these are for grave stones, they should basically be positive about the character then? Like, you wouldn't say someone was a coward or something on their grave even if they clearly were? I was thinking that any criticism should be ironical or tongue-in-cheek, not outright but wasn't sure. Thanks!

I believe these are really on some tombstones:-

Mr. Edward Pardon (a bookseller)

Here lies poor Ned Pardon, from misery freed,

Who long was a booksellers hack;

He led such a damnable life in this world,

I don’t think he’ll ever come back.

Owen Moore

Owen Moore is gone away.

Owin’ more than he could pay.

Johnnie Scott

Beneath this stone lies Johnnie Scott

Who lived like a fool and died like a sot,

But it is needless to argue

Whether he was so or not;

He as a man was despised,

And soon will be forgot.

ETA I remember in the past reading lots of worse ones about scolding wives and mean old men etc. but don't have time to look for them now.

Here is Winston Churchill's epitaph - which I love:-

I am ready to meet my Maker.

Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal

of meeting me is another matter.

cross6.png

Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

R.I.P

Archived