GRRM reading a new chapter on 21.6.2015 in Hamburg/Germany

shaggy_rick

This was reading from a currently unpublished manuscript. Arianne I has not been published yet. It will not be published until Winds is released

But if it was on his web site before - isn't that kind of "public". And isn't "publishing" the act of making something public?

I guess technically you might be right still. I was hyped for more though :-)

Arianne I is the one when they go to

House Toland

and all that, or is there supposed to be one before that?

Presumably so. According to the Twitter I linked to it started with "When she left the Water Gardens" or something like that. And, afaik, Arianne II was read and details:

Arianne crossing the Stormlands and coming to Griffin's Roost, finding out SE has fallen

But if it was on his web site before - isn't that kind of "public". And isn't "publishing" the act of making something public?

I guess technically you might be right still. I was hyped for more though :-)

It's not necessarily the finished product though. Everything is subject to change until it is published. Just look at the Alayne chapter. Clearly not the finished product as it is full of editing problems

Eta: I honestly wouldn't expect any new chapters before Winds is released, tbh. He has released so many already. I was genuinely surprised when he released Alayne I

Do you expect GRRM will publish the chapter on his web site after reading it live?

Nah, Alayne was just put up there a few months ago. He pretty much always leaves chapters on his website for at least 1 year. We will have to make do with a report, unless someone recorded it and we can transcribe it.

Arianne I is the one when they go to

House Toland

and all that, or is there supposed to be one before that?

The one that was published on his website was Arianne II if I'm not mistaken. GRRM has said that there is another chapter before it where Arianne is with Doran when he hears about Aegon and decides to send her to meet him. I don't believe GRRM has read Arianne I before, just referenced it. So this is technically new...if that's what he actually read. It's not clear at the moment which Arianne chapter he read. I can't find any details, it's like people who were at the Con just zoned out as soon as he announced it was an Arianne :drunk:

EDIT: NVM, just saw the twitter link in a post above mine. It was definitely the same Arianne chapter he published before. Oh well.

He has also read Arianne III at a con IIRC. She arrives at Griffin's Roost and Aegon isn't there, so she decides to go on to Storm's End to meet him. Her meeting with Aegon should be her 4th chapter in the book then, unless that chapter is told from Connington's POV.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh, two false alarms in like a month? First alyane and now arianne. I seriously blew through the samples way too fast.

He is the guest of honor at another Con this Friday as well, then he has two more cons in August...gonna be a lot of false alarms these next few months I think :frown5:

It was a nice evening but not really spectacular. Denis Scheck is always fun. They talked mostly about Martin's childhood (Dragons are basically dinosaurs with wings breathing fire) and his first reading experiences. But they also talked some politics, very general like who is really in power, then gay marriage, big topic in Germany at the moment, and religion: die Gretchenfrage - wie hãltst du's mit Gott?

Sibel Kekili was there, having been Martin's Hamburg city guide. She is a really nice person.

Unfortunately there was no opportunity to ask questions and Denis Scheck carefully avoided talking about the upcoming book.

Well, and I got my photo sitting on the Iron Throne. You can call me Your Grace now ;)

GRRM said a the end of the reading that he needs 480 manuscript pages to "have a book".

wow really? That's some major news, since that would mean he already finished 1020 manuscript pages from Winds :eek:

GRRM said a the end of the reading that he needs 480 manuscript pages to "have a book".

wow really? That's some major news, since that would mean he already finished 1020 manuscript pages from Winds :eek:

Does this mean he's nearly done? Please tell me this means he's nearly done. How many many has he wrote so far?

Nah, Alayne was just put up there a few months ago. He pretty much always leaves chapters on his website for at least 1 year. We will have to make do with a report, unless someone recorded it and we can transcribe it.

The one that was published on his website was Arianne II if I'm not mistaken. GRRM has said that there is another chapter before it where Arianne is with Doran when he hears about Aegon and decides to send her to meet him. I don't believe GRRM has read Arianne I before, just referenced it. So this is technically new...if that's what he actually read. It's not clear at the moment which Arianne chapter he read. I can't find any details, it's like people who were at the Con just zoned out as soon as he announced it was an Arianne :drunk:

EDIT: NVM, just saw the twitter link in a post above mine. It was definitely the same Arianne chapter he published before. Oh well.

He has also read Arianne III at a con IIRC. She arrives at Griffin's Roost and Aegon isn't there, so she decides to go on to Storm's End to meet him. Her meeting with Aegon should be her 4th chapter in the book then, unless that chapter is told from Connington's POV.

I thought the Stormlands one was Arianne II? Jeez, if that's the third one then the travelogues are still going strong (oh joy)

Does this mean he's nearly done? Please tell me this means he's nearly done. How many many has he wrote so far?

According to GRRM, tWoW will be 1500 manuscript pages. If he still has to complete 480, he has already written 1020. So he has already written 2/3 of the book. That's still a long way from completion, but at least we know now he has made progress :)

That would still take him over a year to write and edit at this rate. Looks like Season 6 is going to beat the book.

That depends really, for all we know those 1020 pages he already has might be fully finished (edited and all). Or they might still be an unedited mess. That's anyone's guess.

Archived